• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Addressing a canoe puncture in the field

I bought a black composite Lotus BJX from Mike Galt in Tampa and stored it upside down in my backyard in Woodstock, NY. My young son thought it would be fun to jump off the back deck of the house onto that hull, undoubtedly having Royalex experiences in mind.

CRACK!

Well, I put a strip of black tape on that crack and it's stayed that way, with replacements every five years or so, for the past 37 years.

Sticky tape repairs for 37 years; I need to get you in the shop some afternoon to watch (learn) composite repairs.

It doesn’t require any fancy tools beyond a disposable paint brush and mixing cup. Some epoxy, black pigment, graphite powder, S-glass and peel ply. Done.

If you leave it with me for a few days I can install invisible Dynel skid plates.

I carry an extensive “Spares & Repairs” kit in a small dry bag on long trips and group trips, but one mini-repair “kit” comes on every trip.

P5273697 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

4" long seat drop (drilled with a ¼” hole for some fitment slop, cut to size in the field), 2” & 1” Gorilla tape, machine screw, flange, flat and lock washers, nuts/cap nuts, 100lb Zip Tie Ties. Weighs a couple ounces, takes up little space, always there. I liked them enough to make a few for friends.

Back