• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Acquired 2 more project boats

Reaction score
It wasn't my idea. Someone here wanted the little beat to heck 14' Huron and they had to buy the 15' Tremblay to get it.

The Tremblay is in decent shape, the verolite is torn and will be replaced with canvas, it needs a few ribs and rib tips, will get a new coat of varnish and be put on the market next year. The seats are not original and the decks have been modified at some point, someone cut the inwales back and put in arrowhead decks like a Huron. The stems have been repaired, 2 ribs replaced already and some planking. A lot of the previous work was done well so this should be an easier (quicker) boat to repair.

http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/Mihun09/library/Tremblay 1?sort=6&page=1

The other one, which is a tad under 14 feet long, looks to be another Bastien Bros Huron. The inwales are broken in 8 places, one side was allowed to sag for years and it looks to have sat outside a very long time considering the only varnish on the inside is up under the decks, the rest is grey bare cedar. It is going to take a ton of work to put back into service, but I like challenges. Already, on the first day, I've managed to get it closer back to shape, the center thwart was a later addition and 3" too wide.

http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/Mihun09/library/BB Huron 14?sort=6&page=1

So now I have 3 cedar canvas canoes on the go at the same time. That should keep me out of trouble all winter. It is unfortunate that we cannot get anything really special like even an Old Town out here.

Hi Mihun09, In an effort to get myself up to speed (a little bit) on what all you wood canvas builders are doing, I read "Building the Maine Guide Canoe". Have you ever considered building a canoe from scratch? Now it's true you'd have to build the form that the canoe is made on but looking at that Huron 14' , I wonder if that wouldn't be the way to go? At what point do you decide to declare a canoe as beyond resurrection?
Of course the form is specific to a particular canoe so your efforts would be limited to that one canoe type.

I certainly understand keeping a part of history preserved, but it remindes me of a description given of an axe: "Yep, that's my axe, it's had two heads and five handles but that's my good old axe!"

This is apples and oranges I know, but some years ago now I did a little experiment to see how long I could keep a pair of pants going, what with patches and all. It was funny at the end of it, the best part on the pants were the patches. I just get to wondering how you can be sure the older parts of a canoe under restoration, won't at some embarrassing moment let you down?

Best Wishes, Rob

p.s. I ended my experiment before I got arrested.

My personal view on the little one is... bonfire.

However, Christine really wants it resurrected so I will take on the challenge, but I doubt it will see water next year with all the work it requires. We do wish to at some point build one from scratch, including building the form, it is just a matter of finding that one perfect boat to work from. Could it be my 14' Chestnut, or the 16' Canadian or perhaps that wee little Huron, it Won't be the Tremblay, at this point we don't know. We need to paddle them all before making that decision and take into regard whether we can sell whatever we build a form for, knowing full well there isn't much of a market up here for new cedar canvas canoes. Another option is to pull the lines off one of them and make a stripper first, then modify those forms into a full form for cedar/canvas.

Consider that if I successfully save the little Huron, the before and after pictures will make really good PR for the upstart business.

Karin

"Consider that if I successfully save the little Huron, the before and after pictures will make really good PR for the upstart business."

Ok, so that's what the plan is, I am a big fan of your work so put me in your "supporting long distance fan club"

I have a few canoes I would gladly donate to your shop rack if only Connecticut and Winnipeg where not so many "gas" miles apart. If you ever hear of a canoe trailer heading west from New England, let me know. I have a Old Town OTCA 16' with your shops name on it, free.

Good Luck!

Thanks Robin, we will definitely take the OTCA and the Morris next time we come 'round your way. We just finished hashing out an idea for my upcoming week of vacation, that rather that go paddling, to drive 4700km round trip to eastern Ontario to buy a rare canoe, spending $500 on the boat and about $700 on gas in the process.

Canoe crazy in Manitoba.

Got another one... anyone interested in a late 1940's Kildonan Freighter? 18', 48" wide, the owner had purchased it Used in 1950 and best knowledge Kildonan began building boats in Winnipeg in the mid 40's until the late 70's. This still has the original canvas. Acquired for $200, needs one rib, inwale tips, canvas and paint.

What? Another Kildonan Freighter or another manufacturer? Specs or photo's would be good, can never have too many canoes... :D

No, it's just a cedar canvas in need of TLC.

No broken ribs but needs some woodworking.

Somebody had replaces the gunnels with spruce and zinc screws, then glassed the boat.

I have stripped all the glass off, removed the spruce gunnels and removed the two broken pieces of strip.

Pictures here
http://imgur.com/gallery/s6KFY

Gotta love it when they glass them. My CCC was glassed but the PO had removed it already so I only need to finish cleaning it up before canvassing this Fall. One woman can never have too many cedar canvas canoes! That is a Tremblay, the deck, carry thwart and seat hangers match the 15 footer out in the shop here. All the interior trim wood should be mahogany. Next time I'm up that way I will be paying you a visit, or I may just make a special trip.

Red, your canoe is safely put away in my boat shed. It is about 14 1/2 foot so likely sold as a 15 footer and has the original mahogany inwales, decks and seat rails. I didn't see any ribs that need replacing, just a couple for behind the rib repairs, but it does need a lot of planking. It looks like the planking on the bottom sat in water for awhile since it is buckled badly. That is possibly due to the fiberglass, since the interior varnish is spotty at best, any water sitting inside the boat would have soaked the planking and the 'glass wouldn't have allowed it to dry properly. Obviously it is in need of further glass removal but it is in decent enough shape for a glassed boat. I'll let you know when we get started on it, possibly before spring.

dang, that freighter is sure lighting me up, but thinking about my bunko back right now and the weight of that thing...on the other hand, it would probably take my six horse pretty well.....but I'd have to get a trailer.....and I've got too many canoes....

That freighter is most likely not a Kildonan, but more likely a Peter-Nut. Peterborough off the Chestnut mold. Wait 'til Spring when she is spruced up...

That freighter is most likely not a Kildonan, but more likely a Peter-Nut. Peterborough off the Chestnut mold. Wait 'til Spring when she is spruced up...

Looks like something Rita and Craig in Thunder Bay are looking for to tour the north shore of Superior.. she's not too comfy in a small canoe.

Back