15' Willow updates

Thanks Bob. I tend to be pretty methodical in my work. That and my familiarity with hand tools both helped to plan ahead and avoid problems. I am fortunate to have a large work area in my barn so that helps as well. I was surprised that it took 26’ of clear span to rig the canvas stretching apparatus for my 15’ canoe. I needed the clearance at each end to be able to continually duck under the canvas clamps to switch sides during the fastening process.

I’m leaning toward Kirby’s Grayling Gray. I originally wanted to use their Gray Green, but photos of finished work in that color appear to be too pastel. I plan to order a quart of the Grayling Gray and try it… if I dislike it I’ll consider it an expensive primer! Backup color is Grand Banks Beige- also from Kirby’s.

I was surprised that it took 26’ of clear span to rig the canvas stretching apparatus for my 15’ canoe.

Good to know. My tiny wood shop is only 20’ long. I will have to rig up my contraption in the adjacent garage.

I’m sure either color will look fantastic. I am looking forward to seeing your project floating.

Bob

Progress! Last weekend I filled the canvas. My new acquaintance, Al Bratton at Woodstrip Watercraft, mixed traditional filler for me. Color doesn't really matter since the filled canvas will receive at least 2 primer and 2 finish coats, but I wasn't really prepared for the awful pea green color of the filler he made up!

Before:
UOBxQUHgT8mvtSrc+VrpuA.jpg

After:
tS8nwUZTQm6Yc9Ck9CejVQ.jpgLJiX7P1SQ0CxW%V8byVFyg.jpg5XlT3W+yQS+EYguNyr17yw.jpg

My arm is a little sore from the constant rubbing required to get a smooth, filled finish. And the enamel odor filling my barn is pretty strong. During the wait to cure (one month at least) I repaired my yoke; the end of which had lost the narrow band of end grain at the carriage bolts attaching it to the gunwale. I rabbeted a portion of the damaged end, and glued a new piece of cherry with the grain aligned at 90 degrees to the bolt stress. Cleaned up the excess and re-installed it... good as new, maybe better!
5KYLYjisSUCkiRwh4ODW%Q.jpgs+OfR%PeQyaR7w8LelBGTQ.jpg

Lastly, just for fun I'm making another cherry paddle.
l9mzkV7aQlKmOj5UxhgYqw.jpg
And, I toyed around with designing a grip using a little intellect rather than just tracing another paddle: note, using the packaging from a frozen pizza works well for the paper pattern!!
iOIy86ITT7uS26T1V%Gbhg.jpg2ooEjvH8RhuGm%G+iO9dHA.jpgkyfMAmiBSWe+GaTpP4nIXg.jpg

Jim: Thanks for your comment… I learned a long time ago when using curves in carpentry or furniture work that there are lots of circle radii available. The drywall bucket lid is one I use a lot, but paint cans, dinner plates, bowls, and glasses for smaller radii are perfect. It’s interesting to combine different radii to create a cyma curve with opposing radii (like the shape of the curved part of crown molding).

Robin: Thanks for the compliment! I was trying real hard to make it as neat as possible. My other canoe, re-canvassed by her original builder, has some rather unsightly canvas overlap under the edges of the outer wood stem. It bothers me so I tried hard to avoid that. It’s going to be hard to wait 4 weeks for curing until I can sand and paint!