• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

ABS Penobscot canoe price

I generally use 2/3 of the (then) retail price. More for uncommon or highly sought after boats.

Taking a year at random a Penobscot 17 in 1999 cost $1000 to $1250, depending on the gunwales, etc.

Using that 2/3 original retail pricing, $660 (seems like a bargain) to $825. With the caveat that, this past summer with people desperate to escape confinement, used boats were hot items.

Used pricing can be really hard to figure. Personally I think Mike is close to what I'd ask and as high as I'd pay. You can always negotiate down though. Then again a lot depends on location and your definition of "good" condition. OTOH, I do see boats go for WAY more than I'd pay all the time and less often for way less than I'd ask.

Personally, I always figure something used ought not to coast anywhere near what a new one with manufacturer support/warranty does. So if the price approaches a new one at all I balk. When selling I similarly don't expect to recoup too much of the new price, but that is me.

On the other hand, I see used items (boats, tools, vehicles) sell for close to new prices all the time. It baffles me, but I see it fairly often.

Cathy I think you can start higher than what Mike suggested.

True. You might well get more than the 66% of original retail, or start higher than you are willing to take.

I don’t believe that Royalex canoes have become some rare they-don’t-make- Royalex golden ticket. That Uncle Henry’s Penobscot 17 has aluminum gunwales, which puts it in the $1000 range when new. Even with the “OBO” $1200 seems a bit much.

I’ve sold a lot of used canoes, and ask what I think is a very fair price, but that price is firm. Most often the boats, other than specialty hulls, have sold quickly. I’m not interested in haggling over $50.

Tellingly, I have several times had someone come to look at a canoe, decide it is a fair deal, get a wad of cash from one pocket. . . . .and then pull the remaining amount from another pocket. We both knew how they thought that was going to play out.

I have sold a lot of canoes in Connecticut, a really good market to buy and sell canoes and have found it hard to get much more than $6-700 for a Royalex canoe (Mad River/Old Town).

I sold this really nice "Special Edition" MR Explorer (in the spring) for $1000 back when royalex went away. This was a like new canoe, looked really nice up close and the guy was headed to the Allagash with his son, all stars aligned for this one.

DSC00758 (1).JPG

then I sold this Explorer a couple of years later after the rush for a royalex wore off for $650, another nice hull, new wood, mid summer. I would say Mike is right about the price, especially this time of year.

DSC02034.JPG

My sense has been, generally, October through February is the best time to be a buyer, which of course makes sense. Bargains can pop up anytime, but you have to be quick on the draw, and ready to travel with cash. Search tempest is a good resource. I have not been a buyer for a while, so not sure how it is now.

Cathy, a bit of reading between the lines. For me there is a price difference between buying and selling, not sure which you are, so what Pete said:

close to what I'd ask and as high as I'd pay.

I’m not looking to make my fortune selling used canoes and price them to sell quickly with little effort. But I’m also Scots cheap as a buyer, more so because I can fix most damage.

My sense has been, generally, October through February is the best time to be a buyer, which of course makes sense.

Again, it matters if you are a buyer or seller. Come fall/winter not a lot of folks in northern climes are looking to buy a canoe, especially novice or first time paddlers. Seller’s may be motivated to get that unused canoe out of the garage so there’s more room to park the cars.

And vice versa come spring/summer, when you may need to jump on a reasonably priced used canoe toot sweet, or price selling a used canoe a little higher and bide your time.

The used canoe market is very strong right now. Lots of good Royalex boats are going for $650-800. Wood gunwales maybe more like $1,000. It is a great time to sell. I recently sold a Bell Northwoods for $800 and a Wenonah Cascade for $700.

If you look at the Hemlock Canoe website you'll see one in mint condition listed for $1495. Depending on what "good condition" means to you your boat might be fairly priced at $1100. I'd wash it, oil the wood and coat it inside and out with 303. T-Formex is the material that replaced Royalex and it's a bit heavier so Royalex is desirable. I haven't checked any prices lately but I think a new T-Formex tandem typically costs $2000.

Back