• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

A Question about Folding Saws

Reaction score
My theoretical canoe trip this fall is still smoldering in my brain. I haven’t tried to paddle yet, but I’m going through my gear, trying to whittle it down to 2 packs of theoretically manageable poundage. One weighty decision is obvious: to scrap the hatchet. Now it must be said that I love hatchets. I’ve carried one one all kinds of trips for…well, since I got my first one with green stamps in the 1960s. But now I’m determined to throw the baby out with the bath water and buy a folding saw. I have a collapsible saw, but it’s too big and slow to get into action, and it’s a bit of a pain to use, frankly. I use it mostly for clearing sweepers on the river. For tripping, I want something quicker, lighter, that will still do firewood. This is just a long way of asking what you fellers recommend for such doings.

Thanks,
BF

But now I’m determined to throw the baby out with the bath water and buy a folding saw. . . . For tripping, I want something quicker, lighter, that will still do firewood. This is just a long way of asking what you fellers recommend for such doings.

I've used folding pruning saws for 20 years. By far, my favorite is the Silky brand for its sophisticated curved and triple tapered blade technology. I describe and have embedded videos of my two sizes of Silky saws in the following post. The smaller and lighter Silky ULTRA ACCEL can do any canoe camping firewood processing for my needs.

Glen,
How long do those blades last? Don’t see how they can be sharpened, but Maybeso.

I've had my two Silky saws for six years, and the high-carbon SK4 steel blades with impulse hardened teeth are still sharp. I've used them 95% of the time on my own 11 acres, not on canoe trips, but I'd guess they've each gotten at least 50 days worth of canoe trip campfire sawing. Blade replacements can be bought. This video shows they also can be sharpened with the right tools and techniques.

The Bahco Laplander is even smaller, lighter and less expensive. It did the job for my light use on canoe trips before I got the Silky saws, but it just isn't as fast, smooth or able to handle larger diameters.

I like these. They cut fast and are cheap enough to replace every few years

I have a Fiskars. They cut okay, not like a Silky, but they aren't foldable, which Black Fly indicated he wants. Foldability makes sense for a tripping or packing saw so you don't have to worry about a sheath.

I made this a few years ago. The blade folds into the handles. Silky saws work well and the blades are replaceable after years of service. I have heard good things about the folding Sven and Agawa saws as well.

IMG_9047.jpeg
Bob

Years ago I was gifted a Coghlan folding saw and have never really needed to use anything else. I keep meaning to replace the blade but it keeps on ripping thru anything I throw at it. The one downside to the design is the triangular frame. It'll only handle up to a certain circumference of log before bottoming out still in the cut.

8901_1.png

I've considered buying an Agawa for that reason but instead have simply chosen to build smaller fires with smaller wood, hence my Bahco pruning saw. It folds. It's sharp. It works. I really like the Silky selection but that might lead me to starting a saw collection.

bahco.png

I’ve had the same Sven saw for over 25 years, used only for wilderness trips. It still works as good as ever.
MDB and I bought a folding saw for my son, some wood handled unit from Michigan?? It vastly outperforms my Sven
I never bother with a hatchet, really no need for my ADK trips

Personally, I have a folding bucksaw, a Fiskars and a larger Silky ..... they all get the job done, but there is little question that the Silky just works better.
The Fiskars has been relegated to yardwork, the Silky goes on every trip and I haven't even laid eyes on the bucksaw in a long while (it's in the gear closet ... somewhere).

Brian

I have a Fiskars. They cut okay, not like a Silky, but they aren't foldable, which Black Fly indicated he wants. Foldability makes sense for a tripping or packing saw so you don't have to worry about a sheath.
Just another option. I like a ridged blade, it's one less thing that can go wrong

When I decided that it was time to invest in a folding saw to deal with sweepers this spring, I just didn't really want to spend for a Silky. I came up with this and also use it and a larger model around the house. They carry them at H Depot if you want to take a close look at one. Cuts very well with a little flex where it meets the handle; don't know how it compares to the best saws. Weighs 13 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RD7LRO?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I like the silky saw. I can carry it in my pocket on the first walk through a portage so I can pull it out and remove obstructing branches without having to remove my pack.

Alan

If light and fast is attractive and size isn't an issue (which I realize is contrary to the OP, depending on interpretation), a large bow saw will chew through large diameter logs surprisingly quickly and easily. I frequently bring one on day trips in spring for clearing strainers. No, it doesn't collapse, but I think they're actually a lot lighter than some folding saws like a sven, because the frame is one complete piece of aluminum tubing, plus they'll cut larger diameters for the same blade length as a sven-style. And they're pretty cheap. I got a Fiskars brand one at one of the big box hardware stores and it's done well. One disadvantage compared to a folding pruning saw is that it's harder to sneak into a brushpile to cut the main log - it needs a bit more maneuvering room. I usually carry it and a little folder for tight spots.

There are also pocket chain saws - chainsaw chains with teeth facing alternate directions and hand holds to pull back and forth. They work surprisingly well in some situations but take a fair bit of effort. I carry it for cutting from underneath a log if the bowsaw gets pinched cutting from the top. Being able to feed it under a log is sometimes just the ticket. And they really are pocket sized.

I like the Pocketboy a lot. It's a better saw than the Bahco laplander, but it's mostly an academic difference; I used the same Bahco for close to ten years and it never did me wrong, nor did it fail to saw through what I needed it to. The Silky just does things a bit, well, silkier.
I have an Agawa 21 which lives in my truck that has seen plenty of use, but there's a significant difference in blade/tooth design on the available blades for it. I have a greenwood blade on it, which isn't a great choice for hard dry stuff (or bear bones, ask me how I know), so if you go that route make sure you keep blade design in mind. It's a terrific saw and one, frankly, that's just fun to use.

The wire saw/pocket saw/two-rings-on-a-cutter family of saws I avoid like the plague. There's just no need to tear your hands up if you have space to carry something better.

Nothing cuts better or easier than a sharp silky saw. Here’s the Katana Boy cutting a 20” Beech and a 13” hard maple. I’ll admit, this wasn’t fun, and pure 4,392 stokes of heck. For both. But, nothing is better than a silky. Just watch your finger tip fat, it’ll get bit
70482190726__C1C8AE13-47AA-432E-B052-380490B7B250.jpegIMG_7528.jpeg

I recently bought a Silky f 100, 7.5". I haven't had it out on a trip yet but I tried a few cuts out in the yard. I can see that cutting on the pull will take some time getting used to. I also didn't like that on the last stroke cutting through something, the blade is coming towards me rather than away. This seems to be more dangerous than a traditional saw to me, but I'm hopeful that I'll learn to like it.

Back