• Happy Tear the Tags Off the Mattress Day! 🛏️✂️🏷️🚔🚨👮

Look what i SAW

Reaction score
Got saws?

What do you folks think about the Silky BigBoy 2000? Up to now i have been relying on the Bahco Laplander, and larger jobs (up to 6") go to the Agawa Canyon Borea21 saw. But ive been eyeballing the Silky BB 2000 for awhile now and was wondering about those of you that have personal experience with it, and the pack ability. Too big for canoe trips at 29" extended"? Does it really process wood faster than a Bahco or Boreal21? I realize that's subjective, but inquiring minds want to know.

Yes it will. I own one. Lots of hardwood has been processed with it. Just be mindful not to jam it home on the forward stroke, if it binds, you will bend the blade. Bending it back will most likely end in a broken blade.

other things to keep in mind. When processing lots of large logs, 12" or better, this pull saw will work out a whole different set of muscles. I used it for a couple seasons and have since returned to my 24" folding buck saw. (Which I sharpen after each trip) I like cutting in both directions.

That 2000 is one heck of a saw though.
Jason

I bought one last year and it went on all the outings.
It's the kind of tool that makes you smile as you buzz through logs, you do have to get used to only using a "pull" stroke ... but that is not hard. The saw folds down and goes in the pack easy.
One of the guys I go with also had one, we generally cut up wood faster than the other guys could carry it away and back to site ... they hog through wood and it doesn't much matter if it's hardwood or softwood, although in softwood it seems more like a chain saw.

I guess this means I really like mine.

Brian

I've had the Bahco Laplander for years and it's a decent saw for small logs. It cuts on both the pull and push strokes.

Last year I got two Silky saws, both curved blade models, which cut better than their straight blade Silky equivalents even according to Silky's own literature. Both saws simply blow away the Bahco for ease of sawing and speed due to their curved and triple tapered blades. Silky's work only on the pull stroke, and you can angle the blades in two different positions for overhead and ground cutting.

The 14.2" curved blade Silky BIGBOY 2000 can go through 6"-8" logs quite easily and can handle bigger ones with more time. At 16 ounces and 15" folded, it is more canoe packable than an axe, but it may have a little more length than the average campfire maker needs.

The 9.5" curved blade Silky ULTRA ACCEL will go through 3"-4" logs like butter and can also handle larger than that with patience. Anything 2" or smaller are usually severable with one well-placed slice of a good wood chopping machete, parang or golok. It is only slightly heavier than the Bahco at 10.4 ounces and is 10" long folded.

I've watched many YouTube saw speed contests and the Silky Big Boy 2000 and Ultra Accel are the second and third fastest performers from my observations. The first fastest is the really large Silky KatanaBoy, which may be too long for most canoe trippers.

I use my saws very frequently on my 11 acres of woods, swamp and jungle, where packing and portaging is not a concern. Frankly, I pick the Big Boy 2000 much more frequently than the Ultra Accel, except when I have limited room when pruning the branches of a conifer.

Here is a picture from another thread where I showed my most used edged tools, including the two Silkys, two parang machetes, and a Bark River fixed blade I carry as a neck knife.

gK_FB8bLD3Pz75BeRVooNa0oS9kic-0OdQgIkcBy3e7mC1_7NlonEKiRx4vYgj6B5Vhv1-FzItcDipsJDKt-e64-XpDS7FyadLHliAqWR0S8ynRpZbCL_sK1ssRPpefDRYwRFGRvOhcVAIHTIfaHBVGG5vSKvO8fK1cyosUIOdWsbDcfSTxNYRaRhzkkx6bHzv97Eu8sBWvprkw4mVcpLEz96cY2HxfXGivqvcNYbGiAT99-57d6RaHP7qqDThyI8WJqqksVHzhYybBTZOcLvOMLqgjr1QCqO3ov5VjSKjviEKPiCn_ahNlKU1cW3-12mzXeGiYL1GSWf4tvv8ptXdSfhMAJcM7QpDztysvK6S8DnICuR3YcvnAgR7oqCqjBWU29o1xU2OKpPbk-AjksxQPullNZxFnrRsuIuoVJ1EGUVdN-2awWcBlg49SxaGweCFSx-QHLKRb101SvJ4mwbUMgssnFuAtv_28gxSEseYli-Lqy8Chx-n2cy7yQC_zpqXHxxuDl6V-0galfH9uPtVv5XR34Tl0E_KjQ_9qzgoB4fLUdOopdtH4kZHlOXWZH_Jg_Zyjqjo0DWX6haaS9xgM6C6rVyq7F4rvXEMl4Tw=w1320-h744-no

I've never been an axe person, though I own a nice one, and I really can't think of any canoe trip wood processing I couldn't do very rapidly with my longer parang and Silky -- though I might take the shorter version of both for gram weenie weight and packability reasons.

My Bahco has now unused but not unloved. If I were backpacking, it's the one I would take for size and weight.

Thanks for all the help and comments!

Glen,

Wow, thank you very much for the detailed review and photo! I appreciate it very much. I think i will invest in the Silky Big Boy 2000 as this will cover most of my wood processing needs on canoe trips. Cheers!

Back