• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

A new paddler from lower Hudson valley NY

G

Hi All,

new to to the forum and relatively new to paddling but grew up with boats of all sorts growing up in KY. Just got a 16' Mad River Explorer LT for my 60th and had it out for its virgin run last weekend on Round Valley Reservoir with some friends of mine (from hammockforums.net) for a paddle and camp out. Really enjoying the boat and canoeing in general. Happy to be on this forum to meet like-minded people, learn more about canoeing, technique, etc as well as meet ups for trips.

Welcome Suede. It's nice to hear you got your new boat wet. A new canoe sure makes a nice birthday present!

Welcome Suede, I had a MR Explorer at one time,I passed it down to my son, so I guess you can say I still have one...ha, nice canoe, I enjoyed paddling downstream and poling upstream here on the Farmington River.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. DT I recognize you from HF. I look forward to splitting my outdoor time between paddling and hiking. As I get older, my knees are especially appreciative!

Welcome. I hammock camp on canoe trips also. About the only hiking I do with a load is between lakes. Dave

Suede - Where are you located in the Hudson Valley. I have a few friends that way who I paddle with occasionally on re-enacting adventures. Not down that way often but I'd love to hear about your favorite areas to visit once you get that birthday present out and about.

That's all for now. Take care, welcome to the forum and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Suede - Where are you located in the Hudson Valley. I have a few friends that way who I paddle with occasionally on re-enacting adventures. Not down that way often but I'd love to hear about your favorite areas to visit once you get that birthday present out and about.

That's all for now. Take care, welcome to the forum and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Thanks snapper! I'm in Westchester county about 35mi north of NYC. most of my experience has been on the Delaware which I definitely want to do more of. I don't know of much yet closer by but looking into Harriman SP for quick jaunts. It's pretty close and loaded with lakes but I don't yet know the regulations for paddling there yet.

Suede - Sorry I've been away. I've never paddled in Harriman but spent a great deal of my childhood summers along the Delaware. My family's cabin is on the PA side about halfway between Skinner's Falls and Narrowsburg, NY. There's lots of great paddling on that river but I'd avoid the weekends if you can. The weekdays are much more quiet and you can experience the river without all the traffic. The area has a lot of liveries for renting canoes as well if you don't want to bring a boat up so feel free to shoot me a PM if I can be of any help.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Welcome, Suede. Sounds like you know how to celebrate a birthday!
Like Robin, I, too, once had an Explorer. It was a '75 or '76 model and it weighed 88 lbs - dry. That boat was proof of how well Royalex takes a beating, or in its case, many multiple beatings, including the bow getting pushed in and then pushed back out again. The best thing about it was its versatility - it handled flatwater and whitewater with equal aplomb. Or maybe it had seen so much nothing fazed it any more.
Anyway, I hope you have many enjoyable outings in your new boat. And be sure to tell us about them.

Suede - Sorry I've been away. I've never paddled in Harriman but spent a great deal of my childhood summers along the Delaware. My family's cabin is on the PA side about halfway between Skinner's Falls and Narrowsburg, NY. There's lots of great paddling on that river but I'd avoid the weekends if you can. The weekdays are much more quiet and you can experience the river without all the traffic. The area has a lot of liveries for renting canoes as well if you don't want to bring a boat up so feel free to shoot me a PM if I can be of any help. That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well. snapper
That's cool snapper. I used to paddle from Barryville down to pond eddy a lot in rentals like kittatinny. It was a fun bit of river but I agree with avoiding the weekends. I have always loved the Delaware but the difficulty is how logistically use your own canoe. I called one outfitter today and they pretty much told me that no one out ther would livery my canoe, so I guess I am left with leaving the canoe at the end, finding a ride back to the start and driving back down. It would be so much easier if someone could portage you're canoe up to the starting point. Haven't figured that one out yet. I'm hoping to get to a lake in Harriman this weekend, maybe silvermine, to just wet a paddle with my wife and get some practice. I always wanted a place on the Delaware..

Welcome, Suede. Sounds like you know how to celebrate a birthday! Like Robin, I, too, once had an Explorer. It was a '75 or '76 model and it weighed 88 lbs - dry. That boat was proof of how well Royalex takes a beating, or in its case, many multiple beatings, including the bow getting pushed in and then pushed back out again. The best thing about it was its versatility - it handled flatwater and whitewater with equal aplomb. Or maybe it had seen so much nothing fazed it any more. Anyway, I hope you have many enjoyable outings in your new boat. And be sure to tell us about them.
Well it was a big one for me and usually not such a big gift but I'm excited about it! One guy I went paddling with when I went out on Round Valley had a Royalex. A tree fell on it, crushing it nearly flat. When the tree was cut up and removed he was able to pop it back into shape using a heat gun or something. Outfitters also recommended I get Royalex for durability on the kinds of water I want to paddle, which is a variety. My boat weighs about 65 lbs which is manageable for me, meaning I can get the yoke on my shoulders by myself and I can load it onto my car top. Lighter would be nicer but also want to include the wifey or I might have gotten a pack. Happy with my choice and hoping I don't go down another rabbit hole like I did with hammock camping. :). I hope my boat is as durable as yours was, but I have to think there's a bit less structure coming in 20% or so lighter than the standard. I guess there is always a compromise

Welcome. I hammock camp on canoe trips also. About the only hiking I do with a load is between lakes. Dave
That is something I want to do at some point but don't know how far I could portage it.. Will have to find out soon. :). Hammock camping is the best!

Well it was a big one for me and usually not such a big gift but I'm excited about it! One guy I went paddling with when I went out on Round Valley had a Royalex. A tree fell on it, crushing it nearly flat. When the tree was cut up and removed he was able to pop it back into shape using a heat gun or something.

That's how the previous owner of my Explorer pushed the bow back into shape. The boat crashed into a rock at the base of a several-foot drop. He had to show me the little wrinkle on the inside as evidence it had ever been damaged.

/QUOTE]I guess there is always a compromise[/QUOTE]

That's the first thing to remember about canoes. One of these days you'll get a solo, just you wait and see. :)

Suede - My mom is beginning the thought process of selling the cabin on the Delaware. It's been in my family since 1968. When my dad died back in 1982 my mom sold off a lot of the land in the woods behind the place but it's right on the river. The place was hit hard during Irene. In fact, I would have "totaled" it if I was the insurance company but they gave my mom the green light to have it rebuilt. It's a nice place but now that she's living in MA, she's pretty sure this will be her last summer. As for me, I enjoyed my time there but am really looking for a lake oriented place. So, if you think you might still be looking for something in the future, feel free to contact me.

That's all for now. Enjoy your paddle in Harriman this weekend and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Back