• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

A Canoe called Joe Gets and Education

G

After years of dreaming and a year of planning I will be leaving Friday to begin a six week long paddle of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. I hit the water Sunday morning at Old Forge.

This morning I loaded my canoe, packs and gear into my classroom to show my inner city students. We really had a great time lifting packs, pitching the tent and going through all of my gear. It was not only a great educational experience, but and opportunity to check my gear one more time.

The photos were right side up when I uploaded them.

Attachments

• photo506.jpg
    photo506.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo507.jpg
    photo507.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
  • photo508.jpg
    photo508.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mr birds,

Which inner city? MDB (My Darling Bride) and I used to host Fresh Air Fund kids, back when out kids were young.
ALL of those kids could swim...like a fish, meaning they would inhale the water. Most had rarely seen stars, none had been in the woods, ever!
Most telling for me, was the questions that were commonly asked about our backyard (2 acres of treed lawn) "Can we walk barefoot? Is there glass?"
All of them were from NYC. All of them experienced outdoor activities that they would likely never do with their own families.

Now, to the paddling. Are you doing all six weeks unsupported? Do you have supplies cached ahead of time? Are you going solo or with others?
Have you done any other, long distance routes?

I envy you having such a large block of time to enjoy like that.
Good luck, take lots of photos, keep notes so later, we all can live through your adventure.

I teach in the Indianapolis Public Schools. Thirty years next fall. I am going solo and the trip is unsupported. However there are many opportunities to stop and purchase supplies and food on most of the route. This is my first long trip. That being said I'm making no claims regarding how far I will get in the six weeks. I will make updates and post photos as often as possible at www50littlebirds.com

If you can last in the public school system for 30 years, you'll have no problem with a big canoe trip!! Have fun, you've earned it!

Good luck and have fun. I am doing a 2 week trip down the Connecticut River at the end of this month starting the 28thor 29th, a section of which is part of the NFCT as you know. Perhaps we will intersect. I'll keep a lookout for you.
Dave

I teach in the Indianapolis Public Schools. Thirty years next fall. I am going solo and the trip is unsupported. However there are many opportunities to stop and purchase supplies and food on most of the route. This is my first long trip. That being said I'm making no claims regarding how far I will get in the six weeks. I will make updates and post photos as often as possible at www50littlebirds.com

Mr. birds,

I am really curious to know how you'll handle the logistics...specifically, how will you shuttle your car? Other than the physical efforts, that seems to me to be the biggest challenge.
And kudos to you for going solo!! Enjoy it all.

I lucked out on the shuttle. I've a good friend that runs a children's camp in Remsen, NY about 60 miles south of Old Forge. They will be seeing me off (and acting as emergency support--I'm carrying a Spot) and babysitting my truck. A co-teacher has always wanted to vacation in Maine and volunteered to pick me up at the other end and run be back to Remsen. I'm paying for her gas money between Maine and the Adirondacks.

Keep an eye out for a green canoe with Joe midpoint on each side in red and yellow.

Great stuff. Really looking forward to reading more about your journey. Enjoy every mile no matter how far you get in 6 weeks.

Back