• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

6 weeks til Spring

Hey Alan, how long ‘til spring in the Paradise? BWAHAHAHAHA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise,_Arizona

Sadly, me neither. Maybe come April or May. June…..

Mike,

Please don't talk about that place in my presence, I don't need any encouragement. The pull has been strong the past few weeks but I think I can resist from here on out. Must. save. money. and. vacation time.

But I'm already looking ahead to next winter and hopefully spending two or three weeks in that area. Daydreaming will have to get me by for now.

Alan

The way the snow keeps accumulating and the Arctic blasts keep blowing through, I think that dang varmint's estimate may be optimistic. I call BS on the 6 weeks. Maybe 7?

I call for lynch mobs and trappers for the varmints. I know where one is holed up in a road culvert.. Next time I see him at night I am hunting by car.

I can't believe there's only 6 weeks till spring. I've been kinda busy with work, family stuff and the odd bit of DIY to get out and enjoy winter. I'm not ready for spring just yet. Well, maybe after this past Sunday I might be.
When I came home from running some errands Sunday afternoon, I saw my wife, daughter and young grandson in the backyard playing in the snow. The ladies were trying to get the little pre-toddler interested in all the cold fluffy white stuff. It was the little guy's first taste of winter. (Er, more about that later.) Anyway, grandpa just couldn't resist all that good clean fun! I picked him up and gently set him down in the soft deep drifts, to let him experience the strange sensation of standing waist deep in frosty fun. He didn't like how the snow tickled his nose. (Er, more about that later.) My wife got out the snow scoop and I sat him upright in it. He did slouch a bit, and the thick warm snowsuit made him look like a colourful little slug being pulled along slowly by grandma. His mom just laughed and snapped photos while he gazed wide eyed and unsure of the revelry. To help cement the boyhood bonds of winter play, I decided to lightly pack a snowball, and toss it into his lap, where it would explode into a million flakes of shimmering dust, and make my little man giggle with delight. So I stooped, I packed, I got his attention, and I tossed...My aim was much better when I was young. (Okay, the later part is now)
On Sunday February 8th at 4:30pm my little man got his first face full of snowball, tossed not by his first puppylove crush, not by his first schoolyard bully, not even by his little sister (please let there be one someday soon)...but by his big dumb jerk grandpa, who plainly can't hit the broadside of a barn if he tried. After much cuddling and warming of face and hands, and after we each had our respective bottles and naps, he forgave me. WHEW! We're best buddies again, rolling in blankets on the rec room floor, playing with our food, and splashing in the tub. But we both agree that we're pretty much done with winter now.

Last edited:
2 weeks to go...

Forecast for here calls for up to +5 Monday and Tuesday with above normal temps through the next 7 days. The longer range forecast for Spring is below normal temps for Ontario and East but Winnipeg is supposed to be near normal. Crossing fingers here that we don't get a quick melt as that leads to enhanced flooding and low early season water levels in the lakes and rivers.

We're getting similar weather, feels wonderful! It came a day earlier than forecasted and we're sitting at 42 degrees right now. Yesterday morning it was -15F. Supposed to hit the 50's by mid-week.

Of course Sioux City, which is only 2 1/2 hours from here but could just as well be 1000 miles away based on weather, is nearly 20 degrees warmer. But I'm not complaining!

Enjoy!

Alan

-21. High of 16. We do get a warm day tomorrow followed by more icy air.
The trouble with the warm is falling ice. Several vehicles in Portland have been destroyed

Only down to 5 this morning, and a high of about 23 today. Things looking better for next week. Hard to believe that in less than 2 months I'll be visiting the White River in Vermont for some fun with flowing water...assuming it is actually flowing by then.
-rs

As much as I enjoy canoes and paddling, it's powder that saves my soul!! It's been the best February I can remember, plenty of powder and NO thaws!
Been BC skiing many times, even got to visit my old home mountain, Hickory. No snowmaking, no grooming, surface lifts only, terrain to rival Mad, Jay or BC Stowe.

Here's yours truly, the camera always compresses the pitch, maybe a view from above can show the pitch.

DSC_3849.JPG

DSC_3831.JPG

Other than the addiction to powder, MDB and I have been pecking away at rehabs and vacancies...we now have 25 of 27 fully renovated and with signed leases. Just two more bathrooms and two more kitchens and we can sit back and relax. Unless we get more powder...

1 week or 7 days or 168 hours to go, am I annoying yet?

1 week to go, +2C, what to do? Much accumulated shop scrap, fire pit full of snow. Grab shovel, bucket of scrap wood and roll of birch bark from gear storage area. Dig snow out of backyard fire pit, drink beer, eat pizza and enjoy bug free camp fire.

what is still behind the fire pit...

There are five seasons, and with variable durations: spring (2 weeks), construction (8 months), fall (3 weeks), winter (6 months), and mud (3 weeks). Never mind the math; this is what it feels like.

Where is all the snow??? I am heading out for a day of ice fishing tomorrow on the sled. And maybe on Monday I'll take the canoe to the river and go for a paddle. Yep, that canoe. Spring is coming!!!!!!

I've got my fingers crossed to be paddling tomorrow. Weather the past week has been absolutely freakish. Very warm, sunshine, and mostly light winds. I've been watching the river all week and hoping. As of this evening my hopes for paddling tomorrow are sinking but it could still happen. Today it was finally starting to break up and drift downstream but still lots of solid looking stuff.

Oh, and I saw a wood chuck run across the road on my way to work. Does that mean it's officially spring?

Alan

A week ago the morning sun was softly glowing through a frosty haze just above the horizon. I hummed a tune on my way to work and got caught in a dazzling display of late winter. The deep snowy folds blanketing the hills had gently melted, and then refroze over night. The weak sunshine glimmered and skated down shimmering slopes from a distant tree line and over rolling fields straight towards me. I slowed down on the empty stretch of country road, and admired the view. Fence posts, trees and shrub stood rigid and upright amidst the thick icing sugar swirl of wintery glaze. I could feel a mood change in the landscape.
Today driving along the same rural mile I saw the scene had softly changed. The sun was hard and fierce, and had driven back the deep drifts of February till they were little more than throw pillows of white scattered throughout forest and field. I pulled over to spend a moment there. Sitting in the car with windows lowered I could smell the warm air of change sweeping down this little valley. I heard the gurgling laughter of water as it trickled towards the creek, still covered in a soft layer of slushy snow. It won't be long now. The stubborn winter's grip has been broken by the eager breath of spring. I restarted the engine and pulled back onto the road, heading home through an awakening landscape. A small murder of crows were squabbling in the treetops, their brash caws carried down the valley and beyond. No need to speak in hushed whispers now; soon a host of voices from water, wings and wind will rejoice with the news - spring is here.

Brad, enjoy the naked trees while you can, spring's coming.

That started my day off right. I was thinking just yesterday I hadn't seen you post in a while, I guess you were waiting for an opening. ;)

Alan

Naked trees? Nothing comes out here till May 15 and full leaf isn't till two weeks later. Lots of nekkidness still to admire.

Back