• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

6 Nights in Algonquin

Reaction score
My wife, my friend and I had a nice 6 night stay in Algonquin. We did approximately 50 mile figure 8 shaped route with over 6.5 miles of portaging (nearly 20 miles of walking because we double portage). Weather was better than could be expected, got rained on once or twice by passing clouds but no sustained rain all week.

This may not sound like a lot of paddling but we spent a lot of time on the water and on the portages. My buddy had just been diagnosed 2 days before the trip with Lyme disease so he was struggling with both the symptoms and the antibiotics.

K-gNpaOHk5Kk_uiZsGZOyLY2Jd0ng3acSptQ79MFhE0=w1814-h1150-no.jpg

We probably seen at least 6 or 7 moose as well as some otter, beaver and of course lots of loons.

We had some windy days but the canoes handled it admirably. Bugs would get a little crazy about 9pm but would pack it in by around 10. Had a couple of nice starry nights etc. Overall it was just a great week. On the second to last day on a 2400 m portage my wife fell and pulled some muscles in her foot, fortunately we'd already made one trip and we were on the second carry when she fell. The remainder of the portages for the trip were all less than 400 m so I could fairly easily carry a pack and a canoe then go back to get the food and the other pack. Fortunately she could get around ok using a walking stick.

We did have some loud neighbors on our last night, teenage boys who's parents never once suggested that they be quiet at any time for any reason.
I get that teenage boys can be loud but it wouldn't hurt to remind them that they're not the only ones in the park. (rant over)

Tried a few new food items during the week that worked out well, most notably was the Ovaeasy into which we put dehydrated onion,green pepper and potatoes and shelf stable bacon...what a treat.

Anyway, heres a bunch of photos: That seem to be randomly sized??

I_ZgGNp39C9cqakmvmKs4V0xP647_-E0PUbFPpyG2es=w1814-h1211-no.jpg
Owbu_SPQ15XrepoboIiGJ67IUCj68gYoaAZLsP5tbFE=w1814-h603-no.jpg
ShFjTQloUxyyrY3yF_EglmN7M3py1wOGLi8-ZR2SJZc=w1815-h667-no.jpg
OqS1CirQz3BpTKndxVkTqjEQB6QGMmScfG5LuzHmc-I=s1318-no.jpg
bxrVuv7fA6vZNKImrTJcRiU05f4ysdXZ61xQoDHEyT0=w1814-h1211-no.jpg
Drsv6wButETalmuv_gMhELyxR6eZCwY4tept-bMpsng=w880-h1318-no.jpeg
RSotXnFuNbrsntxwO6uhT1CUw5_PSgc7TYGVQviVS18=w1814-h1211-no.jpg
L2WGYvDtvbPYjyGHKvrJN6bJNVDls2aqsB1Iii7Rmmw=w1814-h1211-no.jpg
etB9Ik5KDkT4ijalBngE4-3_2HbudePL78syM8Jvlhk=w880-h1318-no.jpg
3vkFc8Td6Ozz5-ia_MPGKCkFltQFsshLS3MUlQENJLM=w1814-h865-no.jpg
OMovZL9nhvKu2W09wC1YYdRwvXUYKVm-W4UEzgWQbsk=w1280-h719-no.jpg

Attachments

• Owbu_SPQ15XrepoboIiGJ67IUCj68gYoaAZLsP5tbFE=w1814-h603-no.jpg
    Owbu_SPQ15XrepoboIiGJ67IUCj68gYoaAZLsP5tbFE=w1814-h603-no.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
  • bxrVuv7fA6vZNKImrTJcRiU05f4ysdXZ61xQoDHEyT0=w1814-h1211-no.jpg
    bxrVuv7fA6vZNKImrTJcRiU05f4ysdXZ61xQoDHEyT0=w1814-h1211-no.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
Whoa! Those are stunning photos there Red! Looks like you enjoyed a really nice trip.
Is that a campfire type tent you have there?

Thank you everyone for the nice compliments. Didn't make as much time for photography as I would have liked out there, but got some keepers all the same.

My tarps are basically a Whelen Lean-to design that I sort of modified to be a bit more hammock friendly. Typically in such nice weather I'd have the short side much more horizontal to open up the front a bit more, but there was nothing nearby to tie them off to and didn't bring hiking poles or anything to prop them up.

My tarps are basically a Whelen Lean-to design that I sort of modified to be a bit more hammock friendly. Typically in such nice weather I'd have the short side much more horizontal to open up the front a bit more, but there was nothing nearby to tie them off to and didn't bring hiking poles or anything to prop them up.

Red, I'd be really interested in how you modded the Whelen... I love the design, but haven't figured out how to effectively hang a hammock under it without the sides being too open... did you move the point where the two triangles extend out from the main/square back side, or how? I've enlarged the pic, and still can't figure it out on my own.

great shots!

Thank you tump-lion.

Red, I'd be really interested in how you modded the Whelen... I love the design, but haven't figured out how to effectively hang a hammock under it without the sides being too open... did you move the point where the two triangles extend out from the main/square back side, or how? I've enlarged the pic, and still can't figure it out on my own.

I made the large triangles that go to the ground so that they don't flare out like a real whelen they just go straight down. and the smaller triangles (when deployed) use a small piece of bungee and usually get their own stake. On the one in the photo below I just cut the shape of the doors into the tarp rather than sew them on like I did on the first one, so there is no seam on the corners. The hammock suspension will go in the gap between the small doors and the large doors.
hammock%252520%252526%252520tarp%252520%2525285%252520of%25252017%252529.jpg

Hinterland%252520Hideaway%2525201.jpg

Wow, those photos are impressive. I should take lessons from you. Thank you so much for sharing. Wow. 6 or 7 moose. My daughter is dying to see a moose in the boundary waters but so far no luck. Guess we should try Canada too!

Wow, those photos are impressive. I should take lessons from you. Thank you so much for sharing. Wow. 6 or 7 moose. My daughter is dying to see a moose in the boundary waters but so far no luck. Guess we should try Canada too!
Thanks Mama, there were a lot of moose for sure. We've been lucky enough to see on in the BWCA about five years ago, but didn't see one last year when we were there. You should definitely give Algonquin a try, it's a beautiful park.

Did you use Photoshop or something else to blend multiple images for the sky movement ND filter effect ? I would love to try that.

Moose in Maine are plentiful too, Mama.. Algonquin is probably closer to you but until this year I haven't failed to find dozens of moose in Maine on canoe trips. Maybe come for the 50th anniversary of the Allagash.. the moose will be there.

We see around 20 moose on the Allagash annually, altho in past years there have been less.

The moose got first dibs on tickets to the 50th anniversary celebration.

Did you use Photoshop or something else to blend multiple images for the sky movement ND filter effect ? I would love to try that.

Moose in Maine are plentiful too, Mama.. Algonquin is probably closer to you but until this year I haven't failed to find dozens of moose in Maine on canoe trips. Maybe come for the 50th anniversary of the Allagash.. the moose will be there.

Nope, I used two nd filters = to 16.5 stops spot metered a white cloud and over exposed by one stop which turned into a 6 or 8 min exposure (I don't remember which). So the movement is as captured rather than a PS effect.

Back