• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

5-night standard loop in Algonquin Park

Reaction score
Hey folks, did a 5 night solo trip in Algonquin Park last week. Pretty standard loop through McIntosh-WhiteTrout-Big Trout-Otterslides-Burnt Island. Generally good weather, a few bugs in places, windy at times enough to keep me in camp for many hours, met a moose or two, met a beaver in my campsite, almost got shat upon by seagulls protecting their nests. The park was very quiet.
Trip report is here: http://neelands.smugmug.com/Trips/Canoe-trips/White-Trout-Loop-2015
Note: I do the reports for my relatives so there is a lot of explaining that may seem unnecessary for folks on this forum :)

Looks like some awesome paddling. Jealous. Also, that beaver was very intent on whatever he had in mind doing.

I liked the details in your feed. They would only be un-necessary for people who have done all or large parts of that route before...

Hope to be headed there after thing quiet down in the fall, looks like some nice paddling.

some great photos! -- did the canoe thru big-trout section last fall on the way into hogan and back around...nice part of the world when it's not too crowded...

I liked your report, nice photography and the captions interesting. What is the name of those white bags with the rope loop at the top in picture "living out of bags", and how do you like them. I'm looking to replace a couple of bags.
Thanks for sharing your trip

Thanks for your report and photos. Looks like a wonderful trip.

Robin - Unless I'm totally mistaken, the bags are Ursacks and the inner plastic bag is supposed to be odor proof so your food is less noticeable to critters. The outer bag is made from Kevlar so animals can't chew through them. I'm sure that Sturgeon, or someone else, will chime in if I'm mistaken.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Great trip in the fall too. I have done it twice I like it so much, But clockwise...I really like the Ink Lake portage but I have never done it at the start of a trip,..always the end I suspect I would not like it at the beginning. I remember when there was no bog bridge one year..
Otterslide Creek had no beaver dams? I remember at least three ..the last maddeningly within sight of the portage

Great trip, report, and photos Sturgeon. That brought back so may good memories. Although we tried to slow down and enjoy every moment, I can't help but think we didn't slow down enough. The exception being the Ink portage of course. Even though we saved that for last, it still was a double carry for us, albeit a nice walk in the park. I really enjoy seeing your photos, and that they're of places I also found rather special. I too looked for and found something worth seeing around every corner. Meeting Mr moose must've been a bit unnerving, and your beaver encounter was pretty funny - your campsite was in the middle of a castor carry?
Once upon a time we'd have many of the lakes and portages all to ourselves in October; not anymore. Seeing how quiet it was for you in May has me considering the other shoulder season for future trips - springtime.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your kind comments.

re: the beaver The thing that was so funny to me was that he had to climb a serious hill and descend another hill to save not a heck of a lot of swimming.

Robin Snapper has a good eye. Those are Ursacks with OPSaks inside, tied up with un-bite-through-able Spectra rope. Pro: you don't have to hang your food. Just seal the bags properly, tie the right kind of knot at the top, and tie them to a tree a couple of hundred yards away. Con: heavy-ish, expensive, small capacity (on more than a four day trip, I need a second one.)

Odyssey It wasn't May; it was just last week. That's the second year I've spent the longest day of the year canoeing. I might make it a tradition.

yellowcanoe There were only a pair of small beaver dams on Otterslide. Easy peasy!

BTW the reason I wanted to go through Otterslide is because that name was familiar in our home growing up.

When my dad (from Kirkland Lake in northeastern Ontario) was studying at the University of Toronto in the 1950s, a couple of his Toronto friends convinced him to join them on a canoe trip in Algonquin. Despite what folks might think, people in northern Ontario didn't do much canoeing. They were familiar with bugs an the bush and hard work, and preferred to use motor boats on the countless lakes. The Toronto folks mythified the woods and the romance of canoe travel.

He recalls starting on Lake Opeongo and portaging into Otterslide (via Happy Isle? or Merchant-Big Trout- Otterslide Creek?) It was heck. The canoes were heavy and the bugs were bad. He complained to his Toronto friends. His best friend said, "Oh, don't worry it'll be worth it. Otterslide's a great lake. It'll be worth it." When they got to Otterslide, my dad took one look and declared, 'It's just another g*&%$#m lake!" It's one of those family stories..whenever someone raves about how good something is going to be if we just put in a bit more effort, someone else (usually my dad) pipes up, "It's an Otterslide." or "It's just another g&*^%$#m lake!"

So I finally made it to Otterslide. Called my dad and told him I made it there. You can guess his reply.

Ah, June not May. Still, it was good weather and sounded nearly bugless.
Your dad wrote a priceless chapter in your family book of tales told. You've just added another good chapter with this trip.
You're gonna have to change the name of Otterslides on your maps now.

Last edited:
Robin Snapper has a good eye. Those are Ursacks with OPSaks inside, tied up with un-bite-through-able Spectra rope. Pro: you don't have to hang your food. Just seal the bags properly, tie the right kind of knot at the top, and tie them to a tree a couple of hundred yards away. Con: heavy-ish, expensive, small capacity (on more than a four day trip, I need a second one.)

I looked them up and the price is out of my range for bags. I'm looking for light canvas bags but don't need the bear prof feature. Thanks

Great report. I got hung up on that cottage pic that had the little canoe all painted up in Hudson's Bay blanket colors...the whole trip report was really nice!

Fantastic report and great photos. I'm going the Algonquin in approx 20 days, I can't wait. What map is that in the first photo?

redoleary It's a Clark Geomatics Algonquin Map. I got it online within the app "PDF Maps" by Avenza, but it is available in some outdoors stores and directly from the maker here: http://www.clarkgeomatics.ca/single-project-algonquin.html
I used it in the trip report because of the contrast on the screen. I find it a bit dark in the field.

For trip planning I highly recommend Jeff's Map http://www.algonquinmap.com It's got estimated times built in, and is quite up to date.

For actual canoeing i prefer Chrismar maps http://www.chrismar.com because the contrasting colours make it easier for me to read, the contour lines are darker, and it's less busy overall. I copy all the good stuff from Jeff's map onto it.

Nice pictures, look lie a nice trip! Once bull moose he would be a keeper at the right time of the year!!

Sturgeon -- have you tried the new(ish) 5.0 jeffmap -- i had the same complaint on his earlier maps, and used chrismar for on-water navigation also, but i find the better contrast and less-busy new map pretty sufficient stand-alone now...i grabbed an older 4.0 from the 'pile' last week for some sofa-paddling, and really noticed a difference after a year or so on the new version -- ian

I haven't seen version five yet. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.
I saw Jeff speak at the Kitchener Waterloo Canoe Symposium and it was quite clear that he would never stop improving these maps until they were perfect.
His Killarney and Temagami maps look great, too. I bet he'll continue on to do a map of Quetico. If he could do Boundary Waters, that would be a gold mine, I imagine.

Last edited:
Back