• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

30 liter Barrel Pack

No Title

Mountain Equipment Co-op sells the Level Six Bad Hass harness. Only $100.00, and fits 30 or 60 liter barrels.

I purchased a Northwater Quick Haul harness there last year for $150.00. They are $180.00 on the Northwater web site. ( Canadian prices ) I wear my barrel while portaging with a cart, and can't complain. This harness is also very adjustable and can carry all sorts of weird shaped objects.

Attachments

• photo6355.jpg
    photo6355.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6358.jpg
    photo6358.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
My intention, in the very near future, is to drop the coin on a CCS Bushcraft pack for my barrel. Here is why:

My North49 barrel pack is a piece of crap.
Had it for 2 seasons.
By the end of season 1, one of the shoulder straps began to come away from where it is sewn to the pack at the top. I fixed that best I could but now it's like me functional but not pretty. So I guess It's ok.
That said after last year I found the straps run through their hardware to readily meaning they loosen when I don't want them to.
The Barrel is ok but the metal band was sharp on its edges and I had to buff them down to take the edge off. Now it's fine, but who needs a laceration on their hand from a food barrel?

My opinion (mine only) is that the quality of the North49 nylon pack is questionable and the sharp-edged barrel band thing is either a design flaw or maybe a QC issue.

Either way, it's unacceptable for the price paid. Which is my own fault because as my ole Gramma used to say; buy once cry once. Buy twice cry twice.

So off my money goes for a proper barrel pack.

I love my Headstrong harness on my 60 liter barrel, but no longer made (maybe can find one on eBay); http://www.canoewateradventuring.ca/packs.html

Just picked up a North Water Quick Haul Harness for under $100 from ComfyKayak.com, and seems pretty comfortable; http://comfykayak.com/quick-haul-harness/

Long story-short, had to buy a Harmony 30 liter barrel harness last year, not comfortable; http://www.harmonygear.com/products/9751/Harmony-Barrel-Portage-Harness-30-Liter.html

Would sell my Harmony harness cheap. Perhaps someone with a young back is interested.

I had Dan at CCS build me a 30 liter barrel pack with the pockets, a Bushcrafter pack and an Explorer Hybrid pack all in Olive green. I am very happy with the quality. Everything I will be taking for the 10 day WCPP trip in July will fit in these three packs.

I dont know if 1/2 inch foam is adequate for the big boy is sufficient.. My Ostrom Harness has a contoured minicell pad that varies from one to two inches thick,

I've got the 60L barrel pack from CCS and have no complaints with the foam he uses. The only "problem" I have is that when the barrel is completely full (about 75 pounds) the bottom edge rubs on my lower back and will chafe. The solution is to keep a small square of foam (7x7"?) in the top pocket of the pack and simply slip it into my waist band when carrying until the barrel has lost a few pounds of weight.

Alan

Back