• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

30 liter Barrel Pack

Reaction score
For those of you using barrels I am looking for a dedicated pack for my 30L barrel. I am considering the CSS pack. Does anyone here have any advice on the pack with the extra pocket on top and pockets on the sides? I would like some feedback before I order. They are not cheap.

I took an old internal frame pack and riveted it to the barrel thorough the metal staves

The pac was a luggage/pack so the strap can be hidden.

The other barrel was rigged with old pack basket straps.

I have a North 49 harness for my 30L. I'm less than satisfied with it. Mind you I only paid $40 for it at the time. It goes for about $100 now, only $29 less than a CCS! The buckles on the 49 are prone to failing if I try to tighten the straps too much. The one and only pocket on the front has a draw string that never entirely closes, which makes it handy for storing things you want to lose. It is comfortable, but most packs with padded shoulder straps and hip belt are comfortable. The design also allows the barrel handles to protrude, making them snag handy on thwarts and gunnels. The CCS on the other hand completely bags the barrel in fabric. I like that. Outside pockets that actually keep contents contained is a bonus too. I wish I'd heard of CCS when I was in the market for a 30L harness way back when. I've since purchased 2 products from CCS and have been very satisfied with the quality.

No Title

Thanks Sweeper for posting up your barrel rig. I have considered making my own also.

This is the CSS pack I am looking at. It costs 184.00 and can be bought in a bunch of different colors. This is going to be used for food and cooking items. I am considering putting my MSR windburner and my wife's Jetboil in the side pockets.

Based on reviews I have read the North 49 is not in the picture.

Attachments

• photo5931.jpg
    photo5931.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
Aah, a little more pricey than the basic model I was looking at. Nevertheless, I'm wishing I had one.
Something else I like about those are the numerous grab handles.

I have a 60L barrel pack from CCS. It's a quad pack (top and side pockets). I like it. Well placed grab handles make it easy to lift that big load into and out of the canoe. If I remember right Dan changed his packs last year so that even the regular barrels packs have the top pocket so the quad pack only adds the side pouches.

The side pouches are each placed off center to help keep the barrel from wanting to roll side to side but my 60L barrel is usually so heavy I don't put much in the extra pockets anyway. I put my foam sit pads in the top pouch and that's about it. I have some shop rags inside a ziplock in one of the side pouches and some other little odds and ends in the other. The top pouch is nice place to stuff a rain jacket or other loose items when getting ready to portage.

I was going to buy a 30L barrel pack last year as well but I got a good deal on a used CCS rucksack and I found the 30L was a nearly perfect fit. It worked great on the trip and pulls double duty as a regular backpack. I plan to keep using it as my 30L pack.

Thought I had a better picture of it holding the barrel but this was all I could find. It's the olive colored pack.

20160808_089 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Alan now that you mention it you are correct the standard barrel pack includes the top pocket. Another thing I found out is my largest Frost River canvas pack I had thought about using weighs over 6 pounds. I had CSS weigh the quad pocket 30L bag for me and it was 3 1/2 pounds lighter. That also has me thinking. The Frost River pack will hold the barrel plus numerous other items as well. The WCPP trip will include 10 or 11 portages. While I love my Frost River bags I have heard many good things about the CSS stuff. I have their tarp and barrel bags already and really like them. I really like the green color too. It is a close match to the case I use for my Garcia Bear Barrel.

Last edited:
I forgot that the pack I use for my 30L barrel (the one pictured above) is the CCS Bushcrafter pack rather than the Rucksack. They're the same pack except that the Bushcrafter has those external side pockets, which are handy, as well as an axe sleeve.

Alan

I just checked my frost river stuff. The pack I have that is similar to the CSS Bushcrafter is my Timber Cruiser Jr. It is 18h x 16w x 6 deep. The barrel will work in either it or my Woodsman pack which is essentially the same pack without the side pockets.

that bushcrafter pack is 139.00

Last edited:
You can get North 49 harnesses pretty cheap on E bay $40- $60
I have an Ostrom Harness and its got external pockets . No longer made.

I have been using a Frost River Isle Royale pack to carry my 30L barrel. Has room to spare, and I carry my cooking gear, tarp, filtration, etc., with it. But it is heavy. If weight is a concern CCS is a good way to go. I went out for a couple weeks this past fall and decided to go lighter. Composite solo vs. WC prospector and light weight packs. I used one of those padded harnesses (weighs less then a pound probably) that strap to the 30L barrel and did not like anything about it. I will probably go back to the Frost River pack at this point because it portages so comfortably for me. Like to hear your reviews on how the CCS carries too.

Cheers,

Barry

I really like my Frost River stuff. I bought it all years ago when you could still get it reasonably priced used on eBay. Now the stuff is outrageously priced and it is heavy, especially when it is soaking wet. I know it will probably outlast me though. Still pondering my choices and looking at the different pack sizes.

Another discussion for me is HOW to pack with two of us. I am not sure how many packs we will end up with either. When tripping ten days with two people how many packs does it take? I have a bunch of lightweight gear but plan on a tent, a tarp, 2 sleeping bags and pads, two very light chairs and table, two personal cook stoves, food and kitchen stuff for ten days, fishing gear, and so forth.... Trying to use the search function and research options. This trip is going to be the first extended canoe trip for both my wife and I together....

My thoughts are to lay everything out on the floor we WANT to take, and start packing it and see where we end up......

We have a 30L barrel harness and it works ok but the last time I also used a rucksack to hold the barrel. Top pouch and three outside pouches. I used a Cdn milsurp 83 pattern ruck. They are about $80,but really any rucksack combo will work and probably carries better than a barrel harness. Dont get fancy, just use what you have or what is available and you will likely have fewer problems.

I have even seen pack frames with half moon wooden cutouts on them and straps to hold two barrels. I am not that robust any more. One at a time is plenty for me.

Take as many packs as is needed. Pare down the gear if you are worried about it but then whatever is left you stuff into packs and that is that. I like more smaller packs myself cuz I cant lug the big ones any more. You can always carry two small ones eh. It's thesame in the end and often organises better that way. I like packs with outside pockets to hold my rain gear, water, bug spray etc where I can access it easier.

Christy

The topic is stated to be feedback about the usefulness of pockets.

I don't use barrels, but I've had two Duluth packs for 35 years -- one with no pockets and the other with two side pockets. The one with pockets quickly became my first choice and has remained so. The pockets are useful both on the water and on land for quick access to important gear. For example, in the two pockets I keep my 10x12 silnylon tarp, folding saw and gravity water filter system.

Pockets whether on pack or barrel harness can be useful for things you need to access during the day. Such as lunch or gatorade crystals.. Thats what I use mine for.

I have some CCS products . They are well made. I have a portage pack by CCS. the biggest one.. Not the barrel pack. You can be certain Dan, as a fellow canoe tripper, has thought out the design well. What I dont know is with the quad pack outside pockets is if the barrel will stay stable if flat. I suppose it will.
I dont know if 1/2 inch foam is adequate for the big boy is sufficient.. My Ostrom Harness has a contoured minicell pad that varies from one to two inches thick,

I like pockets. All my pants have 'em. And most of my shirts. All my jackets too. This can't be a coincidence. Yesterday we went shopping in an ethnic grocery store; a real big colourful crazy cornucopia of chickens (with their heads and feet intact!), weird and wonderful candies and cookies, and more bottled spicy sauces than you can shake a chopstick at. Very cool place. And come to think of it, everyone had pockets! So it can't be a cultural thing? Is it a personal thing, maybe a human thing? To err is human, so we need pockets incase we err and forget our car keys, hanky and pencil? Whatever the logic, it works for me.
I like pockets on packs too, but not if they're too big and bulky. I still want to be able to slide that pack and barrel nicely between the thwarts.

See McCrea's treatise on pockets.. I got one rule.. If I do the laundry and there is stuff in your pockets. You pay.. And you get to clean up the mess in the machine.

However pockets are a good measure of the last time you washed something.. If you have a ticket in the pocket that is intact from 2014 there is a clue...

I like pockets on my packs because that is how I learned to organise things in the military and they are big on having ready use items where you can get to them. So I tend to set mine up the same way. I keep a couple of bottles of water in one, my first aid kit in another, all my bug spray and sunscreen in the third. Rain gear and such in the top pocket and of course a few things carabinered to the outside.

Inside is the stuff I only need once getting to camp. The outer pockets are what I live from on the way.

Long live pockets.

Brad,I notice that with the leggings trend that women are now eschewing pockets for fashion. Perhaps a new campaign to make pockets great again. Think cargo short. Even better...cargo skorts. Cargo skort overalls.

Christy

I have the 60l CCS barrel harness with pockets.

In the side pockets I generally keep fuel in one side and saws in the other. One side pocket will fit my Silky Gomboy 240 and Pocketboy 170. If I'm thinking I keep that pocket up in case I need to cut branches while on the water.

The top pocket hold my gravity works filter and clean water bag. I can still fit the 4l bag in the pocket when it's full. It's nice to arrive at a portage and already have your water bladder stowed away. It makes the pack a little top heavy but it works.

Back