• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

17-Day Temagami Tour PART TWO: Florence Lake and the South Lady Evelyn River

Oh man, congratulations!! Thats super cool. Really enjoying the report, can't wait for more. Great photos of clouds and crap. ;)

Congratulations, that was a surprise.

The cabin was excellent, "the good tent" I mean, Haps was nice too. Some of those portages were pretty scary from the pics. I too enjoy your writing, you tell a great story.
Its good to see "flattering photo of me" pics added to the story, I know that feeling!

You eat very well on the trail.

What a grand way to get a marriage proposal! Congrats to you both! I've been enjoying the read although I definitely felt your pain when you described falling on your shin/knee with the barrel! I think I did an audible grunt! Thank you for sharing this!

dougd

Wow. What an adventurous trip read so far. Congrats to the two of you. Such a creative and memorable proposal. Are you guys considering a backcountry wedding too? I remember reading that author Cliff Jacobson got married on a trip to the Hood River in Nunavut, so it can be done. You could always bring in an official by floatplane and surely your mammoth Ostrom pack could handle a poofy wedding dress. That would be a trip report for the ages...

Love, canoes, marriages.......they all fit together so nicely. Now, some friendly advice from a marriage veteran (currently on the third):

Incorporate canoes into your wedding as much as possible. My 20 foot barge held approximately 1500 beer.

Hint to all your guests that canoe tripping gear would be really good presents. Who needs another toaster?

Hint to your man that a new canoe for your Honeymoon trip would be the bomb. I built a new one for our honeymoon, managed to keep it secret almost until the wedding.

The most important advice....you've already been on several canoe trips together, so you've seen each other at your worst and your best. The rest of life will just be small annoyances between trips.

Thanks, everybody, for the well wishes and for reading my long-winded reports!

Robin My favourite part about the "good tent" cabin is that no-one has really messed with it. There's still a can of beans on the stove!
dougd The shin is still rather sore, actually. I may or may not have chipped my bone. I should probably get that looked at.
Murat V I read about that in Canoeing Wild Rivers! That would be so fun but I think we'll save the canoe trip for the honeymoon. Our families are already slightly annoyed because we're tossing around the idea of renting out a summer canoe camp in the off-season... in Temagami, of course.
memaquay That's the plan! We're thinking of opening a gift registry for only one item: A Temagami Canoe Co cedar-canvas canoe. We barely have room in our apartment for a toaster as is, but we'd figure out what to do with a canoe pretty quick. That's a great photo of your and your bride! There will be no Bud Light at our wedding, however. Beer, yes, but that's not beer ;)
forest runes This was the most romantic Andrew has ever been. I am glad he stopped short of doing the extreme cheeseball thing of proposing at Bridal Veil Falls!

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials! I've attended a few wedding receptions with beer coolers such as Mem has posted. Great use of space. I even bought the last cooler; hoping to turn it into a useable canoe again.

BTW...nice new truck as well. I would bet that will keep you from getting stuck due to the snow like last year. Looks like your tripping adventures are all picking up. Good for you and Andrew. I truly wish you both the best in your future adventures.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

this trip report warms the cockles of my heart..i got married once at one of the algonquin camps and have a daughter named after the river you were paddling on...or is it the lake...i think it's the river. anyway great trip report! i'm heading up for a week at the end of the week!

Back