• Happy National Apple Pie Day! 🍎🥧😋

ZRE paddles

Reaction score
I know that some of you own ZRE paddles, and I have had the pleasure of using one on a couple of occasions. Does anyone have some first hand knowledge of the difference between the paddles and how you decided on which one to buy? The ZRE website has very little info on why I should choose one over the other besides finished weight.

Thanks, Mark

I agree that it's hard to know what exactly the differences are from the website.

I'd say don't spend the extra money for a "power surge". I don't doubt they're a more efficient paddle but, having owned and used both, I can't tell an appreciable difference.

As far as I know the recreation models are a bit sturdier in construction. They come standard with a plastic grip. I had one with the plastic grip and disliked it very much. It was a little smaller than the carbon grips so not comfortable. I've talked to others who say their plastic grips are the same size as the carbon ones so who knows. Eventually I replaced that grip with carbon and would recommend ordering it that way from the factory if buying new. I own two "rec" paddles, both straight bladed.

I've got a "whitewater" model and it doesn't look or feel any different than my other blades. Not sure what's different in the layup.

The rest of mine are all Z Mediums and I've been very happy with them. Over the years of banging into rocks and scraping over gravel while paddling upstream through shallow water the tips have chipped and worn but are easy to repair, especially if you don't get hung up on aesthetics. If the edge chips and you just let it be it will tend to get worse in a hurry. But if you sand the bad area out it will wear better.

On some of my paddles that have had tip repairs I've added a thin edge of fiberglass and on others, the ones I know will take a beating on long multi-day river trips, I wrap the tips with one or two layers of dynel. The paddles I use for extended tripping get the dynel treatment whether the tips are worn or not. It's a preventative measure against what I know is coming. It's ugly but works well.

If I was buying a new paddle it would be a toss up between a "rec" model (cheaper and maybe sturdier but heavier) and a standard Z Medium. I've always bought factory seconds to save a little money and see no reason not to do so.

Alan

Never heard of Levas. I am sure they are fine. But my Zav Rec paddle has done fine for the last 22 years.
Spelling counts. Sometimes a dealer network does too as well as having to deal with that pesky border.

We have the Flatwater Race Paddles in Light, 8.5 ounce.
We chose these over the Recreational Paddle for the weight and over the Power Surge for the price difference. The paddles we chose were the factory seconds and they have been fine.
12 degree bent.
The are a pleasure to use and very efficient.
All the best in your choice and usage.

Back