• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Zipper and tent pole maintenance

Won't fresh water do it? Last I heard that dissolves salts also!I was a salt water sailor for years and a fresh water wash-down pretty much took care of it. In fact when fresh water was in short supply and there were many layers of salt, we sometimes did a salt water wash-down so we only had one layer of salt!!

Fresh water in massive quantites maybe. We have always rinsed our gear thoroughly in fresh water but zippers in things like thwart bags and dry suits seem to bind up after a couple of years. And my Tilley hat has corroded already. That might not get rinsed as much as needed.

I have trouble with wetsuit bootie zippers too, even when rinsed in fresh water . I think the advice was intended for gear with lots of nooks and crannies to trap salt crystals such as the inside of kayak ferruled paddles and zippers. Not larger stuff like sails and sailboats.

And anyone who has ferruled paddles might take note that an occasional vinegar wash will help. I wont do the vinegar thing after every paddle, but will do the fresh water rinse.

I wonder if a time element couldn't be involved. Of course only those items that will fit in some water filled container, but I can imagine some salt crystals caught in a thick weave of cloth, might require some time to defuse out into the water.

Rob

Back