• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Yokes & Thwarts

Reaction score
I am looking at adding thwarts and a yoke ( or more ). Being that i am new to canoeing and all that is truly needed on a canoe to make it a better ride. I have a few basic questions that i am hoping yall can help me with.
I have a 16 foot Indian River fiberglass canoe, I always paddle tandem with my wife. There is the stock thwart in the boat ( that was bent when i got the boat ) and that is it. I am wondering 2 things, should i get 2 yokes for portaging ( both of us carrying ) and 1 thwart for the center or vise versa . Yes i know this is probably a basic question but we dont portage very often and i am not sure if i could carry the boat on my own ( never tried ) .
I am also going to be changing the stock ash seats that are just strips of wood and adding 2 woven or cane seats, but that it going to happen after the yokes and thwarts inless i can find a great deal.
Thanks for reading and not laughing at my ignorance

Try http://www.edscanoe.com They should have what you need, for seats and yokes. Most would try and talk you out of a two person portage yoke system. But if you are not big enough, you do what you gotta do ! Depending on where you portage, maybe a dolly system might be better. Good luck ! Jim

Last edited:
Essex is good. Ed's Canoe too.

I have used Ed's a few times.

http://www.edscanoe.com/canoeseats.html

If you partner portage and walk in step you can just balance the back edge of the seat on your neck. Pad your neck though. Otherwise a standard tandem yoke in the center would do.

Now there are alternatives to the pain of portaging in Florida. Most likely you are portaging from the car or short ports like around Big Rapids. A cart might be a worthwhile investment. When I say pain, its cause your boat is probably a beast. IIRC a heavy beast. But it works on the water.

You will note that Ed's seats need not be expensive. As a matter of fact they are cheaper than replacing simply the cane in an existing seat.

Even if you buy all, things ought to total under a hundred bucks.

I wouldn't get two yoke, if you are two to carry the canoe, you can do it Marathon style, boat up side down, the person in the front place the right gunnel on there right shoulder, and the stern person the left gunnel on there left shoulder. Holding it with there hands on the gunnels or one hand over the bottom stem and holding there! If that make sense!!

Yeouch! marathon would hurt! You're not talking a 19lb CF shell here, you're dealing with a 65lb+ fiberglass beast- that's 30lb or more on an area of about 1x2" right on top of your trap- instant muscle strain!

thanks for all the replies. This has helped, im going to think about it more in depth. To be honest we portage very few times, and like yellowcanoe said the boat is a beast. I think i will look into a cart system, and then go with thwarts to fix the one that is bent. I will look into Essex and Eds and see what will work for us.
Thanks again

Like yellowcanoe, I have ordered from Essex Industries and Ed's Canoe multiple times and have been quite satisfied with both. If you have specific questions that need to be answered, Ed's is probably best as you can talk directly to him or his wife. These days, I usually check Ed's site first and go to the "Factory Specials" tab at the left of the home page. That will take you to a page with the hypertext "Cleaning Out The Closet". Click on that hypertext and it brings up a drop down menu box opposite the entry "Ash Carry Handle $2.50". Click on the drop down menu arrow and it will bring up a menu list of specially priced items currently available. This menu changes frequently and I have also found that it is sometimes not always up to date, so if you want to order an item listed there it may be best to phone and check that it is still available. I have sometimes also needed special items not listed on the site that Ed has been willing to make and sell to me at a very attractive price.

For example, currently listed on the Cleaning Out The Closet menu are a cane Mad River 32" wide seat at +16 dollars (meaning $2.50 + $16 = $18.50), a webbed Mad River 32" seat at $20.50 total, a 36" ash yoke at $12.50 total, and a 40" ash yoke at $15.00 total, and a 40" stained extreme duty yoke for $17.00 total. If you check around you will find that these prices are nearly impossible to beat, even if you have the wood, material, finish, tools, and means to make and finish your own seats and yokes.

I am not familiar with Indian River canoes but looked at some pictures on their site. It would appear that a 36" long center yoke would be long enough for your boat. A problem might arise in mounting it depending on the nature of your gunwales. Aluminum gunwales are sometimes not suitable to drill holes through the inwales to hang seats and thwarts. The inwales might be curved on the top, too narrow, and/or too weak to allow this. Judging from the pictures on the manufacturer's site, it appears that the center thwart is mounted on L shaped brackets that are fixed to the sides of the hull with rivets or machine screws that go through holes drilled just below the sheer line. This type of aluminum thwart is often crimped flat at the ends with the horizontal elements of the aluminum L brackets going into the open ends of the crimped thwarts and secured to it with a pair of pop rivets on each side. If that is the arrangement on your boat, you can probably use these same brackets to mount a wooden center thwart or yoke by drilling off the heads of the pop rivets holding the brackets to the thwart ends and pushing out the rivet (if necessary) using a punch or drift.

Also check the way your seats are mounted. If they are secured to aluminum brackets that are fixed to the sides of the hull with rivets you may be able to remove the existing seat and use these same brackets to mount wooden framed seats, but you will need to check that the brackets are long enough in a fore and aft direction to accommodate the seat frames. If not, you may be able to lengthen the hanger brackets with pieces of metal or ash mounted to the bracket and long enough to bolt the seats to.

As to how to portage your canoe, I think the optimum method will depend on how you intend to use it. Your boat probably weighs at least 65 lbs and may weigh 70 pounds or a bit more. It may get a tad heavier with new seats and yokes. I have used 70+ lb boats in Quetico, the BWCAW, and on Appalachian whitewater rivers where there were solo carry portages up to 1/2 mile, but I was much younger then and would not dream of doing so now. Also, if you intend to do tripping in places like that be aware that carrying the boat up and down steep trails and threading it through closely spaced trees will be much, much harder than carrying it around your back yard. Unless you are young and strong, if you plan to do that type of tripping I would suggest double carrying the boat and I agree that the marathon method of portaging will be uncomfortable with a boat of that weight, and may be very difficult to do on narrow portage trails.

I have never used two yokes on a tandem canoe but I have seen a few set ups that looked as if they would work well. I would first see it the front of the seat frames can serve as yokes as yellowcanoe suggested. Depending on how far the seats are mounted below the gunwales, you may need to rig removable pads to the seats to position the boat comfortably on your shoulders. If that does not seem practical you could try two yokes. If you mount two fixed yokes you will need to place one sufficiently aft of the front seat frame to allow a person's head and shoulders to comfortably clear the seat frame. If you mount another yoke permanently you will either need to place it sufficiently in front of the stern seat to allow room for the stern paddler's legs, or else mount a very short yoke behind the stern seat. Two yokes permanently mounted between the two seats will limit the size of packs and/or barrels that can be carried in the boat for tripping, however. You might consider mounting one yoke permanently behind the front seat and using a second removable yoke that can be positioned further aft at the place that best balances the weight of the boat. Here is an example of a removable yoke sold by Essex Industries:

http://www.essexindustries.org/universal-slotted-yoke/

Last edited:
Yeouch! marathon would hurt! You're not talking a 19lb CF shell here, you're dealing with a 65lb+ fiberglass beast- that's 30lb or more on an area of about 1x2" right on top of your trap- instant muscle strain!

Better then 2 yokes, and no body said that they weren't allowed to pad there shoulders. A lot of people using a yoke add padding to it. Instant muscle strain maybe or maybe not. There is a lot of info missing in the OP post, but in its second post, it says that they portage very few times. And I did read in your post any suggestions that would help the OP other than saying that mine was crap....

I am wondering 2 things, should i get 2 yokes for portaging ( both of us carrying ) and 1 thwart for the center or vise versa . Yes i know this is probably a basic question but we dont portage very often and i am not sure if i could carry the boat on my own ( never tried ).

I have never tried carrying a canoe with two people each under a yoke. I have two-person carried canoes many times, either upright at arm’s held downward via the carry handles at each stem, or even inverted and handheld by two carriers overhead.

Having two “carriers” under yoke sounds awkward, if not potentially painful. You would need synchronized swimmer coordination with every step and stop, lest someone be decapitated by their partner’s still-stepping forward yoke.

There is probably a reason you don’t see canoes equipped with two yokes.

I’d put a single portage yoke in the balanced position and use that for single carries, even if that was just for getting the canoe on and off the storage racks and onto the vehicle. Tandem carry the canoe when needed, either carried canoe upright via the carry handles or two-person/four handed overhead. And supplement those carry options with a cart.

And if your use evolves to longer or more frequent portages, get a lighter canoe.

Either Ed’s or Essex can provide new thwarts, yokes, seats etc more cost effectively than most folks can make their own.

EDIT: Not applicable to your situation, but the easiest two-person hand held short carry (provided you have a wide enough path) is two canoes and a carrier at either end, kinda () (), with the hand hold carriers in between the hulls.

Last edited:
Thanks again to the replies. And yes the boat weighs about 65/70 lbs. I would love to get a lighter/better boat but the budget just wont allow that at the moment so it is what i have.
We are planning another trip on the Suwannee River that i will run into 1 portage that i am hoping is a short and easy nothing to it walk, i guess the easiest way would be to carry by the handles and just get through it. The downfall to having wheels is that i have to carry more stuff in the boat. I have learned with the last trip less is more.
Sorry canotrouge for the lack of info on the original post, and i thought your info was helpful.
Pblanc your right about the seat brackets and thwart, i think ill be able to make the wood seats work with what we have on the boat, but i may have to modify the brackets to fit. I will check out the seats on Eds.
Yall are great and sorry for my newbee questions

You talking about Big Shoals? Very cartable. Level . Not rooty. You can tandem team it portage also. Just flip the canoeand carry it with the seat edge against your respective neck or put your head against the seat. Its not that bad for short distances. We have used it for the Kenduskeag Stream Canoe Race where there is a 1/4 mile portage and that is hilly.

Don't be sorry. We have all required time to develop our experiences and opinions . No one was born a canoeist. We will argue about the best approach till the cows come home and still like to paddle with each other..

Yes i am talking about Big Shoals, as a matter of fact i was just looking at it and trying to find info on the portage ( i hate how very little info is on the web about Florida paddling ). Thanks again, still a lot of planning to do and this just adds to more planning LOL. I guess there is just no " right " way and its all down to what works at the time.

River Left. Well marked. Level good footing trail through palmetto stand. Very beautiful. Cartable. The put in is a bit of a drop and you might consider painter lines to keep your craft in place while you load it.
This is an outdated website.
http://www.canoe-suwannee.com/

There is a lot of information on the web about FL paddling. Its not all in one place and I have had to spend some hours searching. I am in Maine and have no local knowledge so much of what I get is on the Web. Rather than trying to compile it all in one place, are there areas you are most interested in?
I started here. By no means is it an end point http://www.floridapaddlingtrails.com/
I do use a couple of guidebooks too.
This is the most useful for me
http://www.amazon.com/Canoeing-Kayak...canoeing+guide

thanks! i will use this info. The first is out of date but very helpful, We still have the info from our first trip, but were adding more of the river North and sandbar camping.

Thanks again to the replies. And yes the boat weighs about 65/70 lbs. I would love to get a lighter/better boat but the budget just wont allow that at the moment so it is what i have.
We are planning another trip on the Suwannee River that i will run into 1 portage that i am hoping is a short and easy nothing to it walk, i guess the easiest way would be to carry by the handles and just get through it. The downfall to having wheels is that i have to carry more stuff in the boat. I have learned with the last trip less is more.

A cart can sometimes be a worthwhile “more”. A big, sturdy “Canadian Boat Walker” or “Swedish Boat Cart” center hauler is great, but for smoother trails and other applications even a simple folding end-hauler can be beneficial. Carrying Big Shoals might be one such time a compact cart would be a boon.

Some of the smaller carts are not especially suitable for rugged terrain, but will suffice well enough for a shortish groomed trail. I usually have a small cart in the truck, if only for getting a bigger boat from roof racks to water and back, often with the hull loaded with some lightweight bulky gear.

heck, I use the cart when I’m moving heavier boats around the shop and yard. I’d much rather pull a 20 foot, 100+ lb freighter along behind me across the lawn than get under it.

As we lost a Swedish cart about two minutes below the rapid in Juniper Springs last year, it is very stowable but a poor swimmer. Its just before the first left turn post rapid. Its down in a hole. Maybe visible.
I used to have an end supported cart. It would have been better to have no cart IMO.. 90 percent of the load still is exerted on you and my biggest plaint is that it does not make the same radius turn that you walk. At Juniper there is about a 1/4 mile boardwalk walk to portage and its full of twists and turns. The center loader is more amenable to seeing what you are doing( less frustrating). But there is no need to pay a hundred bucks for a portage cart. Go to Juniper and look at the carts they have made for the public to use for that boardwalk. They work well enough and are center loaders

This design no doubt could be made wider for center load or narrowish for end load. Much more versatile than end load designs I have seen. Plus it looks like the total cost would be under forty bucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95SaUIYTk1Y

It has been sometime since ive been to Juniper ( I love that place) , Maybe i need to go back and look at what they have. The video that you posted is the exact one i was looking at making. The boat will be pretty much empty when pulling it so im sure itll do. The main thing i was wanting is something out of my way and this one seems to do the trick. If i make that trip to Juniper ill keep a eye out for your cart and if i get it ill return it to you ( i dont think i will find it but ill give it a shot).
I think im going to order this seats and thwarts this week or the next and start working, Feb will come fast if i dont do it now.....

I'm not expecting the cart back. If you do find it and fish it out, please donate it to the park. I am very appreciative of their reasonable rates for camping and their shuttle rates are too good to be true. Juniper Springs is a treasure; both for camping and the canoe trip.
PM me if you want to paddle together in FL in Feb. We will be doing our first RV trip and will spend a month. We will be abandoning the new RV at the beginning of the month because backcountry paddling in the Everglades is more awesome than a TV or bed.

Back