• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Yoke pads sans yoke

Reaction score
I have a new (to me) tandem canoe with a simple 1" tubular aluminum thwart in the center. I'd like to figure out a good portage scheme for this boat. I could replace the thwart with a wooden yoke of some kind, then probably add some padding, but I'm wondering if I can skip the yoke and just attach some kind of pads (made or bought) directly to the thwart. Does anyone have such a setup that works well? I'm planning some decent carries with this canoe -- on the order of a mile or two.

Sorry if this has been discussed before -- I tried to search, but yokes are everywhere. Thanks for any suggestions.

I put a big pool noodle on the front of the seat on my solo canoe for carrys

I don't know if yoke pads will work on a tubular thwart, I would imagine they would spin, but I'm a big fan of homemade yoke thwarts on a wooden thwart. I have found them to be the most comfortable way of carrying a canoe. (IMO)

Thanks guys. Maybe I should make a pair of homemade pads and just try, figuring I can use them on another boat if it doesn't work. I've got some good foam in my salvage bin.

Turtle, I like to put a solo canoe right on my head, with some foam in my hat if I'm going far, but with a thwart in the middle I kind of have to use it or remove it. I feel like with just a pool noodle on the thwart it would roll down my back, but it might be worth a try.

here is more detail of what I do. I also use a pad inside my hat. the weight is on both my shoulders and head. yes it can slide, but my head contact and my arms helps that. I have tried a tump line fastened to the seat just to keep it from sliding--jury is still out on that.

We build removable clamp on yokes for that sort of situation

On some of my early builds I used two center thwarts spaced about 18” apart
for carrying I had two wide nylon straps between those thwarts
it was a very comfortable arrangement and I used to slide the straps to the gunnels when not in use

Our big Wenonah has no yoke and a tubular thwart. It is 45 lbs. We just wrap the tube with pool noodle and duct tape.. It is very comfy and you can slide it around so that the pressure points on your muscles can be changed.

Thanks much! I just tried the pool noodle + duct tape solution and was surprised at how comfortable it was. I like that it can shift from side to side. I had to hold on with at least one hand, but maybe with lines I could go hands free. Only backyard carries so far, but it feels good enough to take into the woods.

Another thing I have done is to make the canoe bow heavy by securing my pfd and paddle there and use the stern painter to keep it level by holding it in one hand or tying it to your waist or pack. This pulls the canoe foreword on your shoulders and keeps it level. You can get a crude hands free carry this way if you want.

I like "homemade" but has anyone tried the solo yoke for bucket seats that keeps the boat up higher for better visibility ? These are made in Mn. and although expensive at $ 175 they look pretty slick. Boundary waters catalog carries them. BTW if anyone is traveling through N. Mi. Grayling has a pretty good shop for canoes,bikes,skis etc. called Northbound outfitters. They carry Wenonah and others.

Back