• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Yellowstone River - Three Kruger Canoes

Reaction score
Just a quick video from an afternoon trip we did close to home on the Yellowstone River. This section is downstream from Big Timber. Nothing too exciting, unless you enjoy seeing Kruger style canoes on the water. We have my strip built Sea Wind, a real Kruger Sea Wind, and a Kruger designed Mad River Monarch. We had a nasty tail wind with gusts up to 30 mph that would have really messed me up in an open canoe. The strip Sea Wind handled wonderfully, even in the strong current and wind coming from the side.

Enjoy, Mark

It looks Great on the water Mark !

Nice video also !

Nice rack find ! Always fun to find treasures on the river !

Jim

Nice sound track. The decked canoes look really good on the water.
The Yellowstone would make a really good long trip. There are some towns for resupply.
When there is a tail wind in that country I like to pull out a bed sheet.

Last edited:
The Yellowstone would make a really good long trip. There are some towns for resupply.
When there is a tail wind in that country I like to pull out a bed sheet.

I still have plans to paddle the whole thing. It's so close, a block away, that I've never quite gotten around to it. When there's a tail wind here you'd best be hunkering down on shore.

Dogbrain,
Depends on the velocity. On the Upper Missouri we used two canoes as a catamaran and made about 9-10 mph over ground with a tail wind around 20-25 knots.

The Yellowstone R is always exciting because you can go 400 miles without seeing a dam.

The Yellowstone is a completely different animal from the Missouri. It’s still a mountain river at least until Billings. Strong currents, sharp bends, ledges, confused currents and big wave trains. High water can make it scary, at least to me, but I’m not really a whitewater paddler. Add the wind we can get here and you’re in for an exciting time.

Mark

HIgh water makes them all scary.
I have driven many miles along the Yellowstone R but have not paddled. For a more leisurely trip I have often thought of a drift boat.
Stable with lots of room to move around. Maybe a small outboard for the flat spots.

Last edited:
Back