• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Xyfindit

If you have to be in cell range for it to work do you really need a tracker when you can simply call or text home?

"Once you’ve paired your XYFindit with your mobile, you can monitor its location at all times, from everywhere in the world."

Once you’ve paired your XYFindit with your mobile, you can monitor its location at all times, from everywhere in the world

I'd bet recped is correct about cell service. The way I read it (I've looked into this and similar locators recently to avoid buying an inReach), I believe the app somehow uses the cell service of fellow xyfindit users to track your item (you). I'm betting that, if you were to carry it someplace there is no cell service, no one would be able to locate it.

That being said, at only $40+ shipping, it would be cheap enough to find out... Really not very hard to get out of cell service around here.

"The first affordable crowd GPS tracker..."

How can it be GPS if it depends on the signal of your phone?

It looks like it's using the GMS network sateliites for GPS location and the GMS network itself (which, I think, essentially means "cellular service" for anyone not using Verizon) for communication. Reading The Persistent Company's website, it appears that all registered devices report when they "see" each other so, essentially, your phone helps track any querried device. According to their website:
In essence then, the satellites talk to the XY GPS and the XY GPS uses the cell network to talk to a user’s phone.

I'm fairly certain it's not working in areas without cell service but I can't be 100% sure. (Incidentally, I clicked on the "Contact us" tab at the bottom of the page to ask and was sent to the internet equivalent of the dead letter office.)

Again, only $40 to find out but I'd keep expectations low to minimize the likelihood of disappointment. Let us know if you roll the dice.

Um... the vast majority of smartphones have built in GPS tracking, and there's usually a "find me" button in the settings or even in the internet browser, why would you need another pay service that does the exact same thing???

Um... the vast majority of smartphones have built in GPS tracking, and there's usually a "find me" button in the settings or even in the internet browser, why would you need another pay service that does the exact same thing???

This device is designed to be attached to inanimate objects that cannot initiate an action on their own. They are not intended and don't make any sense to be attached to a human who can simply pick up their phone and make a call. I suppose they could be used to track down a person who is mia and whose phone is dead (as long as they are in cell range).

This device is designed to be attached to inanimate objects that cannot initiate an action on their own. They are not intended and don't make any sense to be attached to a human who can simply pick up their phone and make a call. I suppose they could be used to track down a person who is mia and whose phone is dead (as long as they are in cell range).

I would think it would work attached to a dog that is not inanimate but does not answer calls when roaming too far. Have an idea where to search Or to find your car keys which will not come when called.

I don't have a Cell Phone

$40 for just one of those tracker cheez-its?

The primary canoe use I see would be to stick one hidden under the deck of the canoe. This might enable you to locate the canoe if it's stolen from your home or vehicle, or if it disappears down the river after a dump.

I suppose you could also put one on your person in the wilderness so that others could locate your unconscious or dead body, assuming it can reach a family or rescuer cell phone from the wilderness.

And that's all I looking for Glenn, it would be strictly for my wife's peace of mind. I hiked the White Mtns solo for decades wo/a locator.

soo... basically the same as those tiny GPS chips you can buy off amazon at about $10 each????

Back