• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

WTB - Northstar NW Solo / Bell Merlin II / Hemlock Peregrine (or similar)

I have a Hemlock Peregrine that I’m selling shortly.

Ironwood, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Hello Nikon,

I have a Hemlock Peregrine that I’m selling shortly. It’s an amazing boat in every respect. I find it to be very quick and stable. It handles wind and waves quite well and tracks like an arrow. I live close to the finger lakes and about 20 minutes from Dave Curtis.
PM me for more information or if you’d like to try her out.
PM sent!!

I went from an Advantage to a Peregrine and was surprised just how slow the Peregrine was. But it was such a pleasure to paddle in almost all conditions I kind of lost the 'need for speed'. I have a Trillium now, but test paddled all of Northstar's solos; just didn't get that speed rush from any of them except the Magic.
Top Speed is overrated imo, and perhaps even somewhat of an illusion when paddling boats with minimal rocker and responsiveness. I think you hit it on the head - ”pleasure to paddle”.

Top Speed is overrated imo, and perhaps even somewhat of an illusion when paddling boats with minimal rocker and responsiveness. I think you hit it on the head - ”pleasure to paddle”.

Looking for a solo boat along the lines of a Northwind Solo / Merlin II / Hemlock Peregrine / Keewaydin 15 or similar. I am in Maryland, but am willing to travel basically anywhere in the eastern US for the right boat. Thanks!
I try to look at several attributes and not focus on one thing, like speed.
I've paddled semi-whitewater boats on class I rivers and it's pretty frustrating. If you stop paddling, they come to a stop pretty quickly. Very little glide. Less glide means more work.
Load capacity is a big factor to me. On a lot of western rivers it is normal practice to carry all the water you will need for the whole trip.
Beyond that, I just want a boat that makes me feel secure. Needs to be stable and seaworthy.
I think the North Wind covers all the bases better than most of the boats mentioned.
Is there a better one? Can't say without taking them on a trip.

Back