• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum

Reaction score
Has anyone visited or partaken of their programs?
In the future it looks like there will be some plugs that can be used on site for people to make their own wood canvas traditional canoes.
I have not been yet. But may be part of the delivery of the plugs.
A very very dear friend is passing on and has donated some of his building gear so that others may keep wooden canoe construction alive.
I am going to miss him so much..through tears I seek the joy.

I was up there last year for their opening in the Spring. I believe it was mid May.

I thoroughly enjoyed it ! Well worth the visit !! Seemed like a 6 hr drive for me.

All kinds of new homemade canoes, as well as commercial wood canvas manufacturers, outside. Took the better part of both sides of one block outside. The Museum was really cool ! Pure fun !

They have a nice shop, that you can rent space to build in. A lot of help there also.
I think it would be an excellent home for your friends gear ! It's a non profit organization.

I'll try and put up some pics later.

Jim

Tom MacKenzie passed yesterday. Some of his molds and maybe boats will go to the Wisconsin museum

Details at

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?13671-With-deep-regret-I-report

With a nice pic from Kathy Klos of his boats at a regional Assembly. He was the finest builder I ever knew.

He taught me much about the shape of the canoe and made canoe physics such fun. From him I learned how to analyze canoe behavior and steering mechanics and to question always. To think of "the whys " of canoe behavior and how the stubborn canoe can be made to obey.
Tom was such a kind gentle soul and a keen intellect.
I hope to contribute to his legacy somehow.

Sorry to hear of Tom M's passing. Never met him but recall reading much about his bark canoe builds in the back issues of Wooden Canoe. Wonderful to hear that his work and contributions will be part of the Wisconsin Museum.

IMG_0090_zpsnscyxqzw.jpg
IMG_0100_zpsdslv94pu.jpg

A couple of pics of the Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum. from 2014.
In the bottom pic, the green roofed part is their shop.
Very well maintained and set up. The Museum was great ! Made me wish I lived closer !
Jim

There was also a Birch bark builder at the museum in Spooner, when I was there. He had built a miniature for display. Pretty cool !
Love the pic above !

Jim

Back