• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum Tour Videos

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
". . . we decided to start a video series of "back door" tours so you can see some of what goes on even though our doors are closed to the public."

"Ferdy Goode delivers his Eastern-Cree Crooked Canoe as a permanent addition to the Collections of the Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum in Spooner, Wisconsin."

". . . the WCHM canoe shop is busy with restoration work on a 1925 25ft Old Town 'War Canoe.' We'll take you inside the back door to see the progress."

". . . we're still busy inside expanding our collection and preserving our canoe heritage. We'll take you inside the back door to see what's going on today."

". . . today we'll talk with volunteer Mike Johnson, who is building a new cedar-canvas canoe for our 2021 fundraising raffle."

We went to their canoe show this past Memorial Day Weekend, we really enjoyed it. Nice museum with a very nice restoration shop.

Thanks for posting these videos. The museum is worth visiting, located in a small NW Wisconsin town which is just off state Hwy 53, a main route across Wisconsin heading to Superior/Duluth. I pass that way on my way to NW Ontario or the BWCA/Quetico.

The WCHM is always at Canoecopia and has an annual raffle for a w/c canoe which they built in their shop.

Looks like a nice place, a lot of slightly used/ like new wood canvas canoes, like the WCHA Assembly at Paul Smiths without the grass.
Maybe they have some, but I didn’t see one Duluth Pack or camping outfit, or an aluminum canoe in the videos.
What with the rich history of canoe camping in that area and the famous Duluth Pack store just up road, I would think they would have some tripping displays.

I didn’t see one Duluth Pack or camping outfit, or an aluminum canoe

Their collection list includes two Duluth packs that are on display (inventory numbers O253 and O254) in a case. There are no aluminum canoes currently in their collection. They do have a "Grumman Dowmetal Magnesium Canoe" but it is not currently on display. I would encourage you to contact them if you have a historically significant canoe or pack that you would like to donate.

Benson

Last edited:
Looks like a nice place, a lot of slightly used/ like new wood canvas canoes, like the WCHA Assembly at Paul Smiths without the grass.
Maybe they have some, but I didn’t see one Duluth Pack or camping outfit, or an aluminum canoe in the videos.
What with the rich history of canoe camping in that area and the famous Duluth Pack store just up road, I would think they would have some tripping displays.
At one point they had a display with Sigurd Olsen’s camping kit - tent with the usual camping equipment which probably included packs, cook gear, etc. As I recall they may also have had one his canoes but by the time I was there it was gone. I don’t know if they have any of these sorts of gear in their permanent collection.

Their facility is a repurposed former commercial building which is not all that big.

At one point they had a display with Sigurd Olsen’s camping kit

The article at the link below indicates that his equipment was loaned from the Sigurd Olson Environmental Institute for the exhibit. The museum has some pack baskets but not a large collection of other camping equipment. Their focus is on canoes.

Benson

We're spending a long weekend next summer in Wisconsin. It would be a shame to miss this museum on our travels. Thanks Glenn.

The article at the link below indicates that his equipment was loaned from the Sigurd Olson Environmental Institute for the exhibit. The museum has some pack baskets but not a large collection of other camping equipment. Their focus is on canoes.

Benson

This photo shows the exhibit as I remember it, minus the canoe which we were told had been returned.

Back