• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Winter Storage Question

Reaction score
With winter knocking it's time to start putting the summer toys away. Looking for advice on storing the Mohawk outside.

My plan is to take the 17' R84 and place it upside down on top of my face up, on the trailer 14' boat, and then wrap the entire thing in tarps. With a 17' canoe lying across a 14' boat it would be supported by the boat hull but only the last 1.5' on either end. Should I brace the midsection of the canoe as well? We don't get a ton of snow here and I can easily keep it brushed off. If I don't pay close attention to the snow load could this damage the canoe hull?

Any thoughts pro/con are appreciated!

It would be better to store it on a canoe trailer or saw horses closer together. The worst damage I have had from snow is from snow coming off a roof.

We don't get a ton of snow here

Pardon the administrative tangent, KO, but folks don't know where you are because you haven't put your location into your Account Details page, which would then make it show under your avatar.

This is what Mad River advises for winter storage.

Note this paragraph.

If outside storage is necessary and a cover is desired, some precautions are needed. Make sure the cover will withstand snow loads or heavy rain. A plastic cover will protect the canoe from light precipitation and exposure, but do not allow the plastic to touch the hull. Leave the downwind end open for air circulation; moisture trapped between the cover and the canoe will discolor the hull. Some gray weathering of wood gunwales will occur with outside storage.

Pardon the administrative tangent, KO, but folks don't know where you are because you haven't put your location into your Account Details page, which would then make it show under your avatar.
Thank you Glenn - I'll have to get that addressed, but in the meantime, I am in Rochester NY and use my snow blower only 2-3 times year.

This is what Mad River advises for winter storage.

Note this paragraph.

If outside storage is necessary and a cover is desired, some precautions are needed. Make sure the cover will withstand snow loads or heavy rain. A plastic cover will protect the canoe from light precipitation and exposure, but do not allow the plastic to touch the hull. Leave the downwind end open for air circulation; moisture trapped between the cover and the canoe will discolor the hull. Some gray weathering of wood gunwales will occur with outside storage.
Perfect info Mr. Pitt - thank you!

In 1999, Kathleen and I rented a one-room cabin 100 km (60 miles) north of the Arctic Circle in the Northwest Territories. We flew in on January 31, and stayed until breakup in mid-June, when we paddled down the Anderson River. While waiting for breakup, we stored our canoe outside, upside-down, supported towards the middle, not at the ends. There was a fair amount of snow, but no damage to the canoe.

img022.jpg

Kathleen and I rented a one-room cabin 100 km (60 miles) north of the Arctic Circle
stayed until breakup in mid-June
I think this deserves more detail. Doesn't this qualify as a lengthy approach to a canoe tripping report? I would think the planning for a long-term stay, as well as the canoe trip at break up, will be of interest.

Patrick,

I noticed that my trip report on our Winter of Content did not include most of the planning. If you, or anyone else would like to see the planning, I could add it as an addendum. It is kind of interesting. Should I do that?

I think I missed one of the reports also - please post away. Love your trip reports!
The links I provided in panel #9 take you to my two previous trip reports. My new posting starting tomorrow is not a new trip report, but actually information regarding planning for the two trip reports, especially “Our Winter of Content.”

I am in Rochester NY and use my snow blower only 2-3 times year.

You don't get big lake effect snows in Rochester?

Your plan sounds reasonable to me as long at the supports are an appropriate distance apart. If your gunwales are vinyl or aluminum, you shouldn't have any worries about them.

I store my boats outside under Red Leaf designs covers on sawhorses about 8' apart. The boats are 16'. I'm out in the back yard fetching wood daily, so I see them regularly and just brush them off if I think too much snow is accumulating.

Not really.

It can be snowing in Buffalo with big accumulations and I'm mowing my lawn. Lake effect heads east and gets dumped all over the Tug Hill Plateau. Not too bad here at all.

Back