• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Winter of Rehab

Reaction score
1 week post surgery and I’m getting my walking back, but it will still be months before I can safely flip a canoe. Another surgery is scheduled for next month but it’s not essential, so I may delay. Anyone else taking care of physical issues in the off-season? Can’t wait to get back on the water but it won’t be until spring. New boat just sitting there in the shop calling my name. A true winter of discontent is developing. Need a distraction.

Here's wishing you a full recovery. If it's a lower body issue, then winter may be long. If it's upper body, then get the snowshoes out and enjoy if you live in the snow belt.
I think the worst issues for canoeists are shoulder injuries, as they don't seem to remedy as well as other areas of the body, and paddling and carrying a canoe are so dependent on healthy shoulders.
Take care.
G.

I broke my right shoulder in a Thanksgiving weekend xc ski trip. My first time. I did not get to paddle again for about 7 months. It sucked.

But I’m better now Black_Fly and I could stop by and paddle the boat for you while you wait it out. I can use your dog or my dog as ballast I’m not prejudiced. Definitely stay busy with the stuff you CAN do while rehabbing. I love to paddle in the winter but when the rivers are too low I go snowshoeing and overnight camping.
Here’s to a complete recovery.

Barry

Swimming and a pair of trail crampons worked for me post knee replacement. I had it in Oct and rehab is quite long. Was all winter Way better than the previous winter of chemo when all I aspired to was sitting outside in sun. Photography did help though. I took a lot of pictures. I got good at using the Delete button too.

Hip replacement in contrast was a breeze. About three weeks off water.

Last edited:
I've had brutal lower back pain for about 6 months. I used to get it periodically but it would always go away. Not this time. I can't even sit or stand very long without pain.

My doctor prescribed physical therapy, which I've done before, but I don't like going to the place because of Covid. I can do most of the exercises at home, but I have been too lazy, lethargic and unmotivated to do so. However, I MUST do so this winter or I may never canoe or move much out of the house again.

Good luck with the rehab BF. I was laid up the spring and summer of 2020 and I got through it by watching tripping videos. Jim Baird was a favorite, also Kevin Callan among others.

I've had brutal lower back pain for about 6 months. I used to get it periodically but it would always go away. Not this time. I can't even sit or stand very long without pain.

My doctor prescribed physical therapy, which I've done before, but I don't like going to the place because of Covid. I can do most of the exercises at home, but I have been too lazy, lethargic and unmotivated to do so. However, I MUST do so this winter or I may never canoe or move much out of the house again.

I'd bite the bullet Glenn and do the PT. That's what got me on the road to recovery, followed by about thirty visits to the Chiro. I really doubted I'd ever function normally again but I'm doing pretty well and still doing my new exercises from the PT.

You gotta go. At our age waiting for Covid is not tenable. You can ask your PT about their mitigation measures. Please go.. You live in a most attractive area. My grandson goes to Canterbury.

I walked two miles yesterday morning, longest hernia repair post op. Back issues have degenerated significantly this year too, but still manageable without opioids. It is reassuring that I am not alone. May everyone get back to tripping next year, without pain. Cheers.

I had a hernia repair 12 years ago when I was still working.
I went back to work after four days, but it was maybe 2 months before I was comfortable with mild activities.
Had a torn miniscus repaired two years ago, I was skiing a month later.
Seasons for recovery are flipped for me, while I enjoy paddling hiking camping, skiing is my favorite activity by far, so I try to schedule disruptions in the skiing off season.

And shoulders? I’m in the process of losing one…
I dislocated my right shoulder in a bad roll in my kayak when I was 22 years old. The doc said it would happen again and again, delay the surgery until I couldn’t take it anymore, the recovery is difficult.
He was right, I had it fixed when I was 30, and had 30 more years of good times with that shoulder, even though I throw a baseball kinda funny.
Unfortunately, the now 35 year old repair also degraded my shoulder to the point where I need a replacement joint. I’ve delayed the swap until I finished building my new house, house is done now, so after ski season it’ll be time.

Take your time with your rehab, there’s no rush, you have the rest of your life to enjoy

I hear ya! I don’t have a mechanical injury, or an injury at all for that matter. I’ve had plenty of them and understand the limitations. But something more internal that’s failing with me now. So the doctors have me staring at everything I own that’s good for me! Gear and tools have been cleaned, repaired and donated.

One of my good buddies is also down, post op major knee surgery. He and I have been teaming up and finding things to do while we’re down. We got into wood burning, that backfired as I’m not allowed to inhale smoke anymore. Painting. Wood projects. I even caved and started including epoxy into some stuff. I’ve been helping the wife with herbal concoctions and salves, it’s been fun!

Black Fly,
Part of the cost of admission to a life well lived.
Launching Extreme Healing Across the Universe for you.
I broke my femur one nice summer morning in Oregon in a mule wreck. After a year I could walk with a cane on flat ground. After 2 years I was hiking. After 3 years I was hunting and backpacking.
Do not get discouraged, and Never Give Up.

Back