• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Wildfire & air quality in Algonquin Park?

Reaction score
I was thinking of a few days trip in Algonquin, but the wildfire situation is giving me doubts. Does anyone know how bad the air is there, and what the wildfire situation looks like? I see there have been/are some fires in or near the park, but can't get a handle on the outlook.

It all depends on the direction of the wind. The closest one is east of the park and assuming no eastern wind from a low you should be fine
We were in Northern Maine and had absolutely no smoke the whole of last week.It was rainy and dreary and the circulation of the low took the smoke to Southern New England. Wildfires were burning near Halifax and just a couple hundred miles north of us and we had no smoke at all.
Here is an interactive fire map for Ontario.. FIres do happen in the south but are more prevalent in the North where they are allowed to burn unless villages are threatened. Fire there is essential for jackpines to reproduce.

Thanks for the links and good advice. I don't mind about fire bans because I rarely make fires these days. Sometimes I make a small wigwam type fire one of the last nights for half an hour or so before going to sleep, but not even every trip the last two or three years. When I leave, a firepit has the ashes that were there when I arrived, plus a few matches used to light the MSR Pocket Rocket.

Back