• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Why I don't like Florida

Reaction score
WNY south of Buffalo (closer to Turtle than he rea
Didn't want to hijack Mike's thread about seasons so I'm just gonna vent in a new thread.

Things I don't like about Florida:
palm tress are ugly
too many alligators
too many snakes
too many bugs
gets too hot
gets too humid
don't like hurricanes (give me a snow storm any day)
too many tourists

and if these reasons aren't enough - way too many old people down there!

I have spent a fair amount of time there visiting family. Grandparents moved to Sarasota in 1960 and my Dad moved to Tequesta in 1990 and was there when he died 2 years ago. If something happens to my stepmother, I probably won't go again.

All of the above and...

Too many traffic lights.
Too many people (the reason for all the traffic lights)
Too many old folk
Too far south, I'm already too far south
Too many 'Beautiful people
Life is too fast down there

I have 2 siblings in Fla, they love it, another in S.C, he loves it. My parents spent 25 years in Fla in retirement, they had a good life there on their limited income. My wife and I took the kids there a few times and we had a great time every time we went.

Like anywhere I have visited, there's nice places and not so nice places, learning the nice places is the key.

It was -2 here this morning, I could have gone for a nice walk on a Florida beach with my wife this morning.

My folks have a trailer in Florida. Canadian Snowbirds eh. I ain't never been there but they have sell it as the health costs when in your 80's are too much for their 5 months there each year.

I have nothing against Florida or any other warmish Winter place to be. I just prefer to spend my 3 weeks vacation each year exploring my country by canoe.

There are a lot of places/statesI don't like after being there once or twice. Won't go back. Florida like every state has a lot of good and bad about it. I haven't been there in years but always enjoyed it for what I went there for, pre-paddling days.

I know a some of us here spend a fair amount of time there or live there and find it to be a beautiful place and I enjoy their knowledge of places to wet a paddle and the great pictures they share. I guess it's where you go and why and what you're doing there that can make or break the experience.

dougd

I love Florida. The traffic and the tourists are all on the coasts. The real Florida is inland. I go barefoot all year. you can squander sunshine. The air is cleaned by sea breezes from both coasts. Lots of wildlife, bear, panthers, and yes, gators. But gators are like northern bears...you leave them alone and they leave you alone. Bald eagles, osprey, great blue herons just like up north, but add also the white pelicans, wood storks, swallow-tailed kites! The fishing is great. Lots of wonderful rare plants, wild orchids. Tropical fruits year round, and you all up north don't even know how good they are. But shhhhh! Don't tell anyone. We have enough northerners here already. :)

To tell the truth, I do miss the northern woods, but not in the winter....planning to get back up there this summer.

Erica

What's the topic? Why GP doesn't like Florida? I don't know, but I'll take his word for it.

Here are some other reasons GP might not like Florida:

-- No elevation, hence no views of anything from on high.
-- No mountains.
-- No shoreline to see when you're out on a big lake. Just flat nothingness on the horizon. Again because no elevation.
-- If you're paddling in grassy areas all you see is grass a few feet ahead of you, mile after mile. (Actually, not much worse than looking at endless alders on the Oswegatchee in NY.)

I can't argue with anyone who thinks Buffalo or Albany or Hartford or Baltimore or Winnipeg is a nicer place than Sarasota. Such a conversation would be useless. Like politics. I would have done anything short of using a tool to get a job in Sarasota 10 years ago. I tried so hard. It's gorgeous and cultured and artsy and sporty and oh, so, paddlecentric. But I failed and returned, defeated, to the People's Republic of Nutmeg and the cathedral of carnage.

I mainly think people who don't like Florida, especially canoeists, simply haven't been to the right places. Is it rational to say that you don't like New York State because you weren't impressed by your visits to Brooklyn or the Bronx?

If you like sea kayaking, Florida is surrounded by thousands of miles of coasts and keys. Blue-green and warm. Who cares if you fall in!

But Erica knows where to go, and I'm jealous of her. The only remaining real Florida is in the interior, the north and the panhandle. The coasts are all tourists, as is Disney Universe and much of the Orlando area. Miami is another country: It used to be Jerusalem but is now Havana or Bogota. But south of Lake Okeechobee and away from the coasts is a vast uninhabited nothingness. The central interior away from Disney, and especially north of Orlando up to Tallahassee, has rolling hills, hardwood trees, farms, ranches, forests, rivers, lakes, rednecks, and wonderful rivers and springs.

Florida has 33 first magnitude springs that pump out between 13-170 million gallons of crystal clear water every day, always between 70-72 degrees every day of the year. Most of these are paddleable. No waiting for ice out or snow melt or rain necessary. Who cares if you fall in!

Forget Tequesta. Forget the entire east coast. The west coast is much nicer, if you like the coast, and the vast majority of the paddleable rivers empty into the Gulf on the west and not the Atlantic in the east.

Bugs? In general, I find bugs to be much worse in the cold north than in Florida. Nothing is worse than northern black flies, and I think the mosquitoes are generally less in Florida, though you can find some bad pockets in stagnant pools.

Here's the road my daughter lives off in Tallahassee -- a town where I lived twice and where she was born. Not many natural palm trees. Just mile after mile after mile of what are called canopy roads -- arched over by my favorite tree, the live oak draped with Spanish moss and resurrection ferns.

canopy-road-tallahassee-6869.jpg

If you tire of the spreading live oak trees,

https://eatsleepplaybeaufort.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/oaktreebftpics.jpg

you can camp in many places in the 673 square miles of the Ocala National Forest, which has great swaths of pine trees towering over ground vegetation:

osceola%20national%20forest0017-X2.jpg

The Ocala National Forest is shot full of wonderful rivers, spring runs and lakes to paddle, such as the Silver River and the Ocklawaha, where Tarzan movies were filmed 80 years ago and which still have escaped troops of monkeys chattering in the trees.

If you tire of pine trees, you can move to wetter areas to paddle slalom style through cypress and tupelo swamps with the water coruscating with shimmering duckweed:

Cypress-Swamp-on-Cattle-Ranch%2C-near-Providence%2C-Florida%2C-USA.jpg

So by all means, stay away from the palm trees, beaches, condos, concrete, traffic, speedos and bikinis of the coastal rim of south Florida, and go see the old time rest. And bring your canoe. You'll rarely have do drive more than 10 minutes to reach a terrific and warm paddling spot. The bad news is that you won't need your parkas, gloves, wool hats, hot tents, wood stoves, wetsuits, drysuits, sweaters, long pants, wool socks, waterproof socks, klunky boots, fire steels, birch bark and down sleeping bags. Rain gear isn't really necessary either. In the summer it will rain almost every day for 30 minutes, but the sun will then come out and you'll dry right off. A few shorts, t-shirts and sandals will do.

Oh, though I don't partake, there's also lots of fishing, coffee and beer in Olde Florida.

-12 yesterday--feels colder than it used to-pics look nice.. What is the weather like year round in northern Florida?

I'l stick my paddle in here, as it's -1 degrees F and snowing here today. I mean, its so cold out, there were 2 trees fighting over my dog this morning... I like Florida, even with it's re-latinized culture ( I speak Spanish and most of the Spanich speaking people there are great. If you want to avoid crowds, geriatric centers and latin culture, go to Apalachicola. Coastal fishing/backwoods communities where you have to set your watch back 30 years.

But just North of the Florida line is what I think of as the "Sweet Spot" - Georgia's Golden Isles. I lived on St. Simon Island for several years. We had tourists, but not overwhelming amounts. I could buy shrimp right off the boats for a song. We were an 75 minutes from Jacksonville AP, had lots of water to paddle with the sea kayak or canoes in the salt marsh. Lots of marsh hens to shoot and ducks in season, Redfish and Sea Trout on the fly in the Salt Marsh and inshore fishing if you had a bigger boat. We ran the dogs on the beach every day, unless there was a thunder storm; either early in the AM or after 5, to avoid the crowds in summertime. In the case of a hurricane, we only had to get over a small causeway to hit the mainland and then had 100 different routes inland. It was great.

Negatives: Alligators in the creeks and marsh wanted to eat my lab.
Sand Fleas & mosquitoes. But I have ticks and mosquitoes here.
Summer tourist traffic added 10 minutes a day to my commute.
Summer heat made you get chores done before 10 Am or after 5 Pm.
Palmetto bugs and Brown Recluse spiders.
Small deer, but you could drive 3 hours to SW GA for some monster whitetails.

Pros: You were outside most every day and more active.
I wore board shorts and Chacos most days when not working. I used a light winter coat for 3 weeks at most on cold mornings and nights.
Glorious sunrises and sunsets.
Low contry boil.

All that to say I enjoyed my time in the deep South, and that area is great if you figure out how to deal with it's peculiarities. I moved back up near Chicago with my job, not because I hated living on an island. I will likely retire to a Colorado mountain town in a few years to fly fish, hunt and be near my daughter. But a small condo on the Georgia coast for winter and spring is in the back of my mind too.

and MacGrady - lay off of Brooklyn or we'll fit you for some Portland Shoes...8>)

I'l stick my paddle in here, as it's -1 degrees F and snowing here today. I mean, its so cold out, there were 2 trees fighting over my dog this morning... I like Florida, even with it's re-latinized culture ( I speak Spanish and most of the Spanich speaking people there are great. If you want to avoid crowds, geriatric centers and latin culture, go to Apalachicola. Coastal fishing/backwoods communities where you have to set your watch back 30 years.

But just North of the Florida line is what I think of as the "Sweet Spot" - Georgia's Golden Isles. I lived on St. Simon Island for several years. We had tourists, but not overwhelming amounts. I could buy shrimp right off the boats for a song. We were an 75 minutes from Jacksonville AP, had lots of water to paddle with the sea kayak or canoes in the salt marsh. Lots of marsh hens to shoot and ducks in season, Redfish and Sea Trout on the fly in the Salt Marsh and inshore fishing if you had a bigger boat. We ran the dogs on the beach every day, unless there was a thunder storm; either early in the AM or after 5, to avoid the crowds in summertime. In the case of a hurricane, we only had to get over a small causeway to hit the mainland and then had 100 different routes inland. It was great.

Negatives: Alligators in the creeks and marsh wanted to eat my lab.
Sand Fleas & mosquitoes. But I have ticks and mosquitoes here.
Summer tourist traffic added 10 minutes a day to my commute.
Summer heat made you get chores done before 10 Am or after 5 Pm.
Palmetto bugs and Brown Recluse spiders.
Small deer, but you could drive 3 hours to SW GA for some monster whitetails.

Pros: You were outside most every day and more active.
I wore board shorts and Chacos most days when not working. I used a light winter coat for 3 weeks at most on cold mornings and nights.
Glorious sunrises and sunsets.
Low contry boil.

All that to say I enjoyed my time in the deep South, and that area is great if you figure out how to deal with it's peculiarities. I moved back up near Chicago with my job, not because I hated living on an island. I will likely retire to a Colorado mountain town in a few years to fly fish, hunt and be near my daughter. But a small condo on the Georgia coast for winter and spring is in the back of my mind too.

and MacGrady - lay off of Brooklyn or we'll fit you for some Portland Shoes...8>)

Please don't let out the secret of South East Georgia.

I hate Florida so much that its time for my annual rite of masochism
First to Indian Pass to gorge on oysters and shrimp boil and gumbo. Not a condo in sight. Paddle St Joseph Island and St Vincent Island
Then to Ochlockonee River State Forest to paddle that river. No condos
Cedar Key. Dabble around the offshore keys that are beautiful
Paynes Prarie . Mostly Birdwatching..
Juniper Springs.. Paddle some spring runs.. base camp
Everglades. Yes the annual backcountry trip is on..

We won't see many traffic lights. Nor condos. Thats the scourge of Tampa St Pete and the East Coast which I don't want to partake of.

Some years ago a friend guided me to start paddling Florida in the North ice season and gave me a DeLorme Gazeteer . That book has been so handy in finding launch places and new rivers to paddle that do not involve crowds.

When I started canoeing in Florida there was almost no books and nothing online, but now there is quite a bit available in bookstores. The Delmorme gazeteer is also a great help to find the places that aren't in the books.

Back