• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Some Noteworthy Events on 10,000 Island Trip

I have never been to Hog Key, but have paddled into the 10,000 Islands and camped. Always in winter, although one trip as late as mid-March.

perhaps others do understand just how hot it was. It took me by surprise.

I spent the summer of 88 in the Chihuahuan desert southeastern Arizona and even that was not as enervating as mid-August in DeMarVa cypress swamps. We did a yearly weekend of rivers trip there for decades. Timed for the Perseid meteor shower peak, ie August 12.

Plenty of tree shade, but think high 90s with humidity to match and zero breeze. On a couple of really brutal trips it never got below the 80s at night. People would try to go to bed in the post-midnight uncool and give up after 20 minutes of sleepless sweat drench.

Sleep was only possible upon total exhaustion, and was short lived even then. I lost any urge to do that trip 10 years ago. I think I will watch the Lyrids or Geminids instead.

BTW, my first trip to Florida, back in the 70s, I drove nonstop from Maryland to Collier Seminole. On arrival I was aghast at the cost of a campsite and decided to paddle in the same day, despite having been awake for 20+ hours.

I paid insufficient attention (OK, none) to the tides, and got stuck in the middle of Mud Pond when the tide went out. Immobilized in two inches of water with four feet of pluff mud bottom. I know how deep the pluff mud was because I got out and tried to push the canoe across Mud Pond. Not recommended.

The result was the worst sunburn of my life, and some lessons learned the hard way.

I know Mud Pond! :p Didn't get stuck but could see the potential. Lots of birds. There is supposed to be a camp site on high ground just south of Mud Pond. But I hear that route is entirely impassable now due to Irma.

I got stuck on the mudflats south east of Flamingo in Florida Bay. :eek: It was high tide so there should have been plenty of water. Offshore winds blew all the water out of the bay, so water levels were falling even as the tide was supposed to be coming in. I was trying to get closer to a flock of white Pelicans. Paddling mud to get out. :eek:

Yes Mud Pond... I went through enroute to Coon Key on a high tide. The Mosquito God infernal Skeeter Factory.. No way would I camp there.
Down near Turner RIver is a Mud Bay.. A similar fate waits the unwary as it too is tidal.. Don't ask how I know
My sit in the mud and wait out the tide was at the mouth of Lostmans RIver. I knew the delta was ook at low tide so gave it a wide berth.. Two miles out! Mud! There had been a strong North wind for days and the water had all gotten blown out

I was not on the party that unfortunately was permitted on Sunday Bay some years ago and had to slog the last quarter mile in mud. No wonder that chickee is dismantled.

I took some measurements today to illustrate the concept of microclimate. The air temperature today in the sun, in the middle of the afternoon was 96 degrees. A thermometer setting four inches above the dock read 110 degrees. Then I put the same thermometer under the bamboo at ground level. 80 degrees.

Attachments

• photo9979.jpg
    photo9979.jpg
    827.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm sorry . I'm giggling. That looks like a porta potty buried in a bush. We were in fleece two days ago. Now its 83 at the grocery store. Still too hot at 73 in the woods.

LOL, That's the corner of our screened porch! We planted the bamboo in an attempt to keep the porch cooler in the summer.:p

LOL, That's the corner of our screened porch! We planted the bamboo in an attempt to keep the porch cooler in the summer.:p

Just goes to show you a picture is interpretation and a mind awol plays dumb tricks. I was thinking of hot porta potties in the Everglades and that seemed like the IDEAL spot. Complete with steps! ( OK I kind of thought that was a fancy potty)

No disputing that a shady tree canopy micro-climate is advantageous. My favorite site on an NC coast barrier island is in a grotto of Live Oak, with an opening at either end for breeze.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user...E1L1AzMTUyNjU2X3pwc3RyczdrdXpmLmpwZw==/?ref=1

But, camping there amid the dunes I will take what shade I bring with me.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user...JrL0lNR181MTQzX3pwc2RhZjViMjc4LmpwZw==/?ref=1

I noticed something peculiar about that photo. Note the wind chair. Note the two empty mini-chairs. Note that is not me sitting in my wind chair. Everytime.

Back