• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Why Are You Here?

A search on the net, brought me to this site.
Met fellow, almost local, canoe builder, Alan Gage.
We have made a great friendship through this site !
I often share this site on Face book, mainly

Cedar Strip Canoe and Kayak building

As others have said a great resource ! I try and add my building experience, that I'm so passionate about.

What is not to like ?

Jim

A search on the net, brought me to this site.
Met fellow, almost local, canoe builder, Alan Gage.
We have made a great friendship through this site !
I often share this site on Face book, mainly

Cedar Strip Canoe and Kayak building

As others have said a great resource ! I try and add my building experience, that I'm so passionate about.

What is not to like ?

Jim

Ooh, thanks for that link. I don’t need to fall down this rabbit hole, but I keep eyeballing it.

I think I saw a reference to this site on bwca.com which I used to frequent on a daily basis. Anyway, I am here for the like-minds, shared knowledge and, as an earlier post noted, the virtual campfire (great phrase.) The only better way to peruse this site would be in the woods on one of my increasingly common basecamp trips. Unfortunately, the UP of Michigan has the solitude I seek but no internet connectivity. - John the Woods Bum.

How did you find or stumble upon Canoe Tripping?

looking for rigging ideas..
previously all my canoes had vinyl/alu gunwales so it was simple to pop-rivet or screw in nylon pad eyes or p-clips, for the rigging lines. Now I have two boats with wood gunnels, one yellow Explorer in Royalex and a green Seda Scout Kevlar. I don't like the idea of making all those holes in wooden gunnels for the pad eyes. Not enthusiastic about drilling the hulls either - I worry about drilling Kevlar, also the Explorer has so many holes after redoing the gunnels, repaired cold cracks too. So I went a-googling for alternatives and found Mike's exhaustive thread on testing the outfitting attachments..

And, what keeps you coming back?

Trip reports, and the considerable expertise on the site..

I found this site when I was preparing to build a strip canoe, and the trip reports and gear advice is also icing on the cake. Lots of great advice from good people here, thank you. But now I have a new obsession other then wanting to build more canoes and stuff, I am chomping at the bit to come north and do some real canoe tripping.
Roy

I met Robin over on MYCCR many a moon ago and liked the man and his values. I followed him here, and he got me hooked on this site. Love the attitude here. Lots of respect for the other person and their opinions + lots of knowledge being spread around. Even after my final trip is done, I'll be here to enjoy our sport through the adventure of others.

G.

Well, i guess i came here to learn something and i just did. i know Col. Whelen as a cartridge designer and firearms author and had no idea he was a canoe aficionado as well?

A quick net search opened up a world of information i had no idea existed!
there’s more Whelen lean to stuff out there than you can shake a stick at. I included one article for the interesting read. My own opinion still favor’s a closed 3-4 season for here in Alaska, for better bug and weather protection.

I come here mainly to see what a handful of the good writers here are doing in their lives. Get some inspiration from the other old guys to get out and do what needs to be done, while I still can.

Whelen is a good tent for spring and fall trips, because with a good fire out front, will keep it pretty toasty, if needed. With a mosquito bar over your bed it is okay for summer time too. Winter camping not so much. Unless you are a professional logger with a chainsaw. You would need a cord of wood to stay warm enough all night. Up every few hours to throw more wood on the fire. A larger closed canvas tent with a wood burning stove is luxurious in real cold weather or even in damp cool weather. I have been quite comfortable in -40 degree on sled dog trips when I was younger. Doesn’t appeal to me these days as it did in my 20’s & 30’s.
Bothwell Voyageur made me a Whelen Lean-to few years ago out of some light weight canvas he had, to replace one that I gave to a young friend years ago. It is nice to sit in, out of the weather watching the fire, being able to see up and down the shore line & across the lake or river. I have a frying pan with a socketed handle that I can fit a sapling into for baking a bannock over the fire from the over hang of the lean-to. Same with a Triangia tea kettle, with a detachable side socket.

Last edited:
Robin you were just reading one of Rutstrum's disciples.
I have used a Whelen lean to in winter on a ski trip at 8,500 feet. A small fire in front reflects the heat, that is the whole point of the design. It takes little effort to collect enough wood for a night. Hunkered down in a stand of small trees it is very snug. I watched the moon rise one night and then watched the snow fall. Sitting by a fire with all of that darkness is like a Dream. I never liked sliding into a little mountaineering tent and not being able to see out for 14 hours.

A mosquito netting bar can over the top for spring and summer.

How did you find or stumble upon Canoe Tripping?

A simple web search for a place where canoeists coexist trying to avoid facebook. Started an FB acount in 2007 and barely used it as it didn't seem useful or at least didn't serve a purpose for me. When I started looking for canoeing discussion facebook was already a negative space in my mind; the same way I think about addictions issues. This place seemed focused and friendly. Maybe facebook is too, I don't know. Regardless, you're stuck with me as a result.

And, what keeps you coming back?

Project topics and especially old/traditional gear topics. Posting my own videos. Watching other recommended videos. While direct communication isn't a priority for me, it does feel good visiting a place inhabited by people with similar interests. I think community is the right word.

Back