• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wher to Buy Composite Supplies

Reaction score
looking to repair the abrasion to a couple of tripping canoes so need to buy materials. Would anyone like to suggest somewhere to mail order, small amounts of:
dynel
s-glass
peel ply

I would prefer to buy in Canada but if there is a good USA supplier I can have it shipped to Minnesota and collect from there. I can get Epoxy OK at the local boat shop although I am considering re coating the bottom of my Quetico 17 so maybe I should order that too.

Thanks

In the US I use Express Composites.

Or Sweet Composites, except that they don't sell release treated peel ply, only green pull nylon.

Composite Canada.http://www.compositescanada.com
That is where I got my stuff last time, price were decent. They have peel ply and release film( like heavy duty saran wrap that have good stretch and so leave a super smooth finish that doesn't have to be sanded...)

In the US I like Express Composites and they're already in Minnesota. They have everything you're looking for except Dynel. I put in an order with them today and called to verify since I need some as well. Both of their peel ply offerings are release coated but the bluish stuff even more so and it's also less stiff and seems to take curves better. Also less noticeable weave pattern after pulling.

Also in the US is Soller Composites who seems to have the most exotic stuff and also the best prices on carbon and kevlar. You won't find much plain old fiberglass but you'll find all sorts of carbon sleeves, bias woven tapes, carbon/innegra cloth, basalt, etc. Fun place to look around.

Alan

The only place I could find Dynel sleeve and "rope" was at Sweet Composites, great service, but in the US, so it makes it more expensive shipping wise and exchange wise!!

Thanks everyone. It does seem hard to find a "one stop shop" for buying supplies. I could find neither S-Glass or Dynel on the EC website. Drop them an email I guess?

I found Defender Industries (Waterford CT), to be a decent place to shop from, good prices, vast selection, lots of related hardware, plus I was into power boats at the time and contemplating my own 24' build. ..

Ended up buying system three resin and peel ply from plasticworld.ca

They had way cheaper shipping than anywhere else I tried.

Found some four ounce dynel at duckworksbbs.com
They actually gave me a refund on the posted shipping rate as they found a better deal. I probably have enough spare to pass some on to anyone else looking to make some skid plates or reinforce a paddle.

Back