• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

What's going to be your first trip once the border opens

Reaction score
To all my fellow Americans, just out of curiosity and something to get me through until ice-out, what will be your first canoe trip north of the border once it opens? For me I am thinking a trip into WCPP through Leano Lake or if I'm pressed for time and can't afford the drive time a trip to Solace Provincial Park. Would love to hear your ideas. Where would you like to go?

I hope to see some of our southern neighbours up here soon! If borders do open, let me know if there is a route in the Greenstone area you are interested in, and I will attempt to clean it up for you before you get here. Plus beers in the back yard before the trip, if you are so inclined.

Fortunately I live in NY and wilderness trip in the adks. I had a pretty normal trip schedule last year and, except for dealing with the additional crowding, I have many trips planed there this year,

I'm not counting on an opening. I'm working on the ADK and the Allagash area, but holding Sep open for a possible crossing and Paddle in Algonquin starting in Canisbay up to Big Trout down to Canoe thru Potter cross over to Smoke and back to the start.

Southern Canuck paddler here. Can’t wait for the territories to open up again. First stop once Nunavut reopens is the Thlewiaza.
This years plans are to cross the Chipman into Selwyn for a very breif visit in NWT and then return to Black Lake via the Porcupine.
Luckily for the canoe outfitters in these parts, the increase in local residents getting out has made up for a lack for Southern tourists. Not so much for our hunting and fishing outfitters, they’re getting slammed.

I am sticking to the ADKs again for 2021; there are locations there that I want to revisit and plenty of new ones on my list. If all goes as planned, I will retire in June of 2022 and the trips north of the border and to Maine will be on the 2023 trip list.

I'm probably sticking to ADK, possible through NFCT, but as soon as border opens, a non-paddling trip to Ottawa. Just before border closed, we bought kitchen cabinets there, but they were out a few drawer fronts. 2 days later border closed. Now kitchen is otherwise finished except for some drawer fronts.

I did think since I was close to Algonquin, I should try it. Also intrigued by idea of getting on train with canoe in Toronto and getting off at the Allenwater Bridge in Wabakimi PP (about 24 hours later when on time which I understand is very rare). Probably put that off a year because it needs a lot of planning not possible with the uncertainty.

So ADK, maybe NFCT, and if not the trail, then will participate in one or two of the NFCT Waterway Work Trips. https://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org/stewardship/waterway-work-trips/ Diid a pair last year around Grand Falls with a short trip between and was a lot of fun amongst the laboring.

First trip north of the border will be WCPP, had it all scheduled for 2020, realistically looking at 2022. Pretty much the bwca this year although my travels may allow me to hit up somewhere in the ADK.

Depending on water levels, I hope to try the Little Salmon or the Pelly in Yukon Territory.......all depending on recovery of a shoulder injury.

By the "border opening up," I am thinking of the Northwest Territories border. In January of 2020, Kathleen and I put down a non-refundable deposit for a float plane to take us into the Barren Grounds north of Yellowknife. Early on in the pandemic, the NWT closed its borders, and they remain closed today.

snowdrift002jpeg.jpg

You might remember from our Snowdrift River trip report, that Kathleen and I began our trip at the southeast corner of Lynx Lake leading to the outlet to the Thelon River. We paddled up Lynx Lake and then to the northwest corner of Whitefish Lake where we began our trek over the height of land to Sandy Lake and then down the Snowdrift River.

snowdrift035.jpg

For this trip, we had planned a leisurely 12-day paddle from Whitefish Lake to Lynx Lake. This is me dragging up the short river between Lynx Lake and Whitefish Lake in 2001.

snowdrift139.jpg

We love the Barren Grounds, and very much hope that we can get this trip in this summer. I'm 73 now, and there will not be many more opportunities. Here we are camped on Whitefish Lake in 2001. Twenty years ago. Hard to believe. We gotta get this trip in this summer! We still have not had any vaccinations, and the NWT border remains closed. But for some reason, I am feeling optimistic.

I hope to go south to South Carolina and Florida. The Canadian border is of no interest to me. I haven't paddled in Canada since 2004 and doubt I ever will again.

Love reading all your trip plans guys! Some are quite impressive (PaddlingPitt - I gotta go read that trip report - looks like beautiful country). I hope you can get them all in this year. I'm really hoping for a fall opening, but we'll see.

Last year my son and I had everything ready for Wabakimi, even put down the deposit which was not refundable. We were hoping the border would have been opened up by now but as we know, that's not happening anytime soon. We've planned a 10-day paddle in BWCA starting at Sawbill outfitters starting May 10th. I'm hoping I can get up to Algonquin in September or October this year, fingers crossed.

Bill Conner,

I did think since I was close to Algonquin, I should try it.

Algonquin was crowded enough before COVID 19, last year it was said to be packed (from reports anyway, I did not go there) and it appears this year will be as well or maybe even worse. News reports now saying that campsite reservations are double that of last year and Ontario Parks are recommending the Algonquin be avoided. It seems some are online every day trying to reserve campsites as they become available (six months ahead of the reservation date is when that becomes possible).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...2021-1.5927993

Demand is so strong, Ontario Parks even published a list of tips to help people who are having no luck beating the crowds.

"With double the number of customers attempting to make reservations during the months of July and August compared to last year, it is more competitive when trying to obtain a site," the parks service website said.

"In many instances, there can be hundreds of customers vying for the same site for the same arrival date."

Among the tips are avoiding Algonquin, Killbear, Pinery, Sandbanks and Bon Echo provincial parks and choosing less-popular parks.

That's most likely for front country drive-in campsites, you can check interior campsites when they become available, at the moment the park is closed until March 9, with the reservations page unresponsive.

Should that border open, a second trip is planned for August pending logistics help.

Four of us would leave here and enter Yukon Territory on Top-Of-The-World Highway and ferry across the Yukon to Dawson City. A couple hundred miles up the Dempster Highway, we'll jump off at Eagle Plains and enter the Eagle River. We intend to stop briefly where the Mad Trapper of Rat River shoot out occurred. On to Bell River and eventually to the Porcupine River where fishing for sheefish will require a couple days. When the Porcupine River enters the Yukon River at Fort Yukon we hope to catch a barge up to Circle, Alaska to catch our ride home. If no barge, we'll have to endure the Yukon Flats down to Dempster Highway.

Soon after Kathleen and I became canoeists, we saw a slide show on that trip. The somewhat arduous up-stream on the Eagle put Kathleen in the definite no-way camp. I think it would be a great trip.

Don't know if it will be the next trip, but I have begun the planning for taking the family on the Great Glen Canoe Trail. Basically across Scotland from sea to sea.

Back