• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

​What to do with the vehicle parked on a long trip?

The other idea i draw from the linked post is use wheels and single portage, versus doubling, my usual. Not sure if the un-wheelable portages have less risk of pilferage or not.

More shuttles I guess, or whatever the ADK name for them is.

There are few shuttle operators in the Adirondacks; . I do not think break ins are more prevalent in the Daks than anywhere else. Last summer I read of a lot in southern Ontario too. If leaving a vehicle is a worry, and I say this without sarcasm, another hobby might be in order. The remote prospect of theft seems to worry you. In Maine its pretty much non existent and good luck with wheels. Some ports are ok and others you will be literally cursing at a cart.

My biggest fear is coming back and finding my tires slashed or gone. I have insurance to replace stolen items but would hate to be stuck with no way to get back.

This reminds me of a man who drove way out along the Verde river here in Arizona in a car with no spare tire. In the area known as Sheep's Bridge. Way out of town and all dirt road. Of course he got a flat tire and had to leave the car all night while hitched a ride back to town for a tire and wheel. I think the story was that he actually did not come back to his car for several days, but when he did get back the car had been used for target practice, by many different people, including someone with a whole 500 round brick of 22 Long Rifle.

My biggest fear is coming back and finding my tires slashed or gone. I have insurance to replace stolen items but would hate to be stuck with no way to get back.

Yeah it really sucks to come back to find an undriveable vehicle. These days we are a little more likely to be able to have a smartphone and therefore a way to search for nearby, or not so nearby, services or to call for assistance if there is someone to call. That is assuming a signal, we can still be pretty stuck in remote places.

BTW, my three slashed tires were probably calculated at three because I had two visible spares and we were in the pre mobile phone days. Fortunately I was at the put in so we were not there with my car as our only vehicle.

I keep a front & back photocopy of those important cards stored separately in my essentials bag. Hmmm, so, the number to call to report a lost or stolen credit card is. . . . . . on the back of the card? And what was that credit card number and code? Oh fark, I don’t have those memorized, any more than my13 digit/letter driver’s license number.

I would wager than no one knows their health insurance member ID code, much less the out of area 800 authorization number to call. Photocopier, 50 cents, one double sided piece of paper front and back. Don’t leave home without it.

I recently added an ID to my PFD pocket (along with a rescue beener, spare truck key and folded 20 dollar bill.

When it last came time to renew my driver’s license Maryland had instituted the star marked “Real ID” . Except they neglected to ask for “One from column A, one from column B” Social Security card, passport, birth certificate, etc when first issuing them.

Six months later I received a notice that I had to return to the DMV with those bona fides and get a new-new Real ID license. They did not ask for the old one back, so I had two driver’s licenses, both with current photo, description, address, birth date and Soundex #.

I slipped the “old” on in my PFD pocket, so I always have ID handy when paddling.

Real ID is not required at least here in Maine. If you have a passport you are good to fly. You may get a Real ID or you may choose not to. I chose not to. I always do paddle trips with all pertinent licenses passports etc. Nothing linking me to the vehicle is ever left in the car.

I leave my car filthy dirty and put used fast food containers on the back seat and floor. If in a really nasty area I might even pull the volume knob off the radio, heater, and what ever else comes off and throw an old beatup pair of vicegrips on the seat. Torn dirty seat covers help too! had cars on both sides broke into, but never mine- I think they're afraid they'll catch something :)

While the fast food trash may deter break-ins by people, bears may find it very appealing.

I leave my car filthy dirty and put used fast food containers on the back seat and floor. If in a really nasty area I might even pull the volume knob off the radio, heater, and what ever else comes off and throw an old beatup pair of vicegrips on the seat. Torn dirty seat covers help too! had cars on both sides broke into, but never mine- I think they're afraid they'll catch something :)

You are joshing I am sure. The personnel in Woodland Caribou do check vehicles for any left behind food or containers and issue citations. And I am sure this is not news to you

If it's possible, I leave parked at the local Police station. It also helps to know the local Game Warden, who seems to provide a forcefield around it. Other than that, I just don't worry about it. My next trip is up the East Machias and down the Machias. The local outfitter says just park it in the lot downtown or at his house if I want.

If it's possible, I leave parked at the local Police station. It also helps to know the local Game Warden, who seems to provide a forcefield around it. Other than that, I just don't worry about it. My next trip is up the East Machias and down the Machias. The local outfitter says just park it in the lot downtown or at his house if I want.
:)
Police station that is funny in Maine anyway mostly county mounties. Game wardens do a good job but there aren't enough of them. We need one on our lake full time in tourist season and that cant happen

Back