• Happy Scream Day! 😱

What stove for Hot Tent

Smokehouse I am seriously pondering the 4-dog UL T1 for canoe tripping due to it's light weight. How well/long does it hold a fire and without a seal on the front door can you still control it fairly well? Does your stove have the baffle and if so do you recommend it as well?

The 4-dog ul1 I have has no baffle. I had him add sleeves on both side of stove so if I wanted I could add my side shelf from Kni-co stove and the 2 gal water tank... The main reason I even bought the water tank was to help shield heat while I was in the hammock and give alittle hot water...But I agree with others... much better to put a pot on top... The ul1 with no baffle, pipe and spark arrestor weighs 10 lbs. I can get 4 hours burn time before I need to add wood... I normally use the bob saw to cut wood which is the best I've found... To me,,, this stove is the best of the best... I have alittle video of it I did while backpacking... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMinWa6AHuQ

But I do like my kni-co stove also... normally I use the kni-co in my canvas Smokehouse outfitter,,, and ul1 in my sil Smokehouse...
I do alot of backpacking trips, but plan to use this on some canoe expedition trips this Winter, early Spring... Yes,,, I'm far enough south our rivers don't total freeze up most of the time.

Nice video. I like the stove and I know the quality is top rate from 4-dog. I am going to call them and get some particulars on the baffle addition but since i will add a side shelf i will probably not add the baffle. I want to be able to load it down good with wood to get the longest burn time before a refill.

I have the same TiUL1 but didn't get a chance to try it out yet!! And ours doesn't have the side braquets for the shelf, but it was great deal so I can't be picky lol!! plans is to go out for a few nights over new years!!

I found these guys online http://nuwaystove.com/ Anyone have any experience with their stoves?
The stoves seem reasonably priced, and they are light weight. The idea of lugging a 5 Gallon propane tank is not that appealing, but for a short trip or areas where there isn't a lot of fuel, or any dry fuel, propane might be an option. They guy on the phone told me he ran their largest stove for 6 days straight on a 20lbs tank. I figure one could run their smaller (model 2000) stove for quite a while on a 5lbs tank. These stoves vent outside like a wood stove, so no issue with moisture or carbon monoxide.

They also have wood stoves...

Last edited:
I have a NuWay single burner. I used it in Idaho this fall on on my elk hunt. I used it in an Artic Oven 12. The stove is vented and it is fabulous to use. Walk in, light it and turn it on low, and forget about it till morning. Kept my tent at 60 degrees with outside temps at 20. Very economical, very lightweight. I use Viking composite propane tanks and with the heater on as low as it will go I get 100 hours burn time out of a single tank. Highly recommended. The tank I use is a 22 pound tank. When completely full it weights 32 lbs.

Last edited:
Nice to hear they work well. I think the smaller of the two single burners will work for my climate just fine. Do you have the 2000 (12,000BTU) or the 3000 (16,000BTU) model?

Dagger mine is the smallest one (12,000 BTU). I chose it due to the climate I would be in and the construction propertys of the tent. If i was using a canvas wall tent without a floor I would go to a bigger stove. I am glad I got the smallest one because I am currently in the progress of downsizing to a smaller and much lighter Artic Oven tent. Half the weight and about 33% less room with a lower ceiling. It will be easier to carry, set-up, and heat using less fuel.

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying your stove size. I am looking into getting out more early and late season. My "long" canoe trips involve 3 nights, so burning the stove for about 30 hours will do nicely. I am thinking of buying the 11lb Viking, just under 20lb full, or a similar steel tank at 5lb additional total weight, but at 1/3 of the price tag of the Viking tank.

I am looking at two canvas tents right now, but I am not sure yet which one I'll buy. Neither have a stove jack, but they can be added to either. The smaller tent is the Kodiak Flex-bow VX, 48" tall with a floor of 8.5x6. This would be plenty big for one or even two plus small stove. The larger tent I am looking at is the Springbar Campsite 3. Taller and 10x7 floor space for 3 plus stove.

I was looking at that 11 pound tank earlier also. For a 3 or four night stay that would be perfect. 50% lighter than a steel tank also. I might need to rethink stove options for cold weather canoing as well.

I have found that when I am hunting all day the last thing I want to do when I get back to camp at dusk is to mess with getting a fire started with wood, then stoking the fire to try and be warm and comfy till morning. With the nuway on low it is like sleeping in the house. In the morning I can simply shut it off and walk out of the tent ready to hunt. Not as traditional I suppose but with LP I do not have to worry about gathering and processing firewood etc. I am not inclined to run LP in the tent unless it is vented hence my attraction to the NuWay with the stove pipe.

The AO tents are very spendy but I will liquidate my current one to fund the new one.

I've never seen this stove... I've always used wood stoves... I can see where this would be nice... Thanks For sharing.

I really like the looks of this Kodiak also. The tarp area kitchen is a cool set-up.

I have a larger 10 x10 Kodiak, it's now the only tent my wife will sleep in. One inherent issue in the design, when it rains...you better have that front fly over the door set up, otherwise the upside down pyramid design is not a good setup for rainy conditions.

We spent one week in the ADKs where the average daytime temp was only about 40, so the idea of some sort of heat in the evening and early mornings had some appeal, though I wouldn't cut a hole in for a stove jack. We use a larger wall tent for the group as a meeting and eating area and that has seen a smaller propane heater as well as a dedicated wood stove.

I sold my steel two dog stove to a fella in Alaska that is going to put it in his trapping cabin on the Yukon River. It is currently in transit. I ordered the Titanium Dx stove from Don at 4-Dog Stove company. I figure it will last me the rest of my life. I will have it and the Nuway Single burner propane stove as well so depending on the trip and weight I want to haul I will have the bases covered.

Back