• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

What kinds of dry meats do people bring?

Rock-hard salami has been proven to last through hot weather and probably anything hanging there in the deli at room temps will as well (eg. pepperoni). Lots of flavor is the thing that really makes it with salami... great with granola if you don't want to cook and bannock if you do.

I've read that hummus will dehydrate well and keep for a meat alternative... and making your own jerky from a round steak should save some $$$.
I worked in a plant, for nearly 28 yrs. that made Hard Salami. We also made pepperoni, Genoa, and others.
But the Hard Salami was the best ! It would last for ever ! And would be my choice ! Fry it, slice it for a sandwich, chunk it up for a stew, or the most popular, slice and eat.

The Very best, was about once a year we would talk the company into putting a small batch into small pepperoni casings. When dried, you could use it for a baseball bat ! But OH so good !

I don't think it would spoil in the hot sun ! Guys used to let it hang in their basement to cure, rock hard.

Bringing back memories now !

Jim

I stopped by my local Polish deli last night to try a few dry sausages out. They did not have Landjaeger but I tried a Kabanos, Hunters and Cabal that the owner said would do well. All were great in my Zatarain's Jambalaya mix! The Cabal had a smoky paprika kind of flavour and the other two were closer to a kielbasa in flavor.

These are on sale today at No Frills... worth a look, maybe they don't need refrigeration.

pillers-salami-whips.jpg

Well, there may indeed be chemicals but I'll be a lab rat for the greater good of the canoeing community and try them anyway. If you don't hear from me again... you'll know what not to do.

PS... I've sniffed a lot of wood smoke in my time and I know the chemicals in that aren't good. So every time I read about how great smoked meat tastes, what in blazes is it with smoking meat anyway. Anything that tastes that good can't be good for you. Anyway, moving on, to the Piller's Salami Whips and effects thereof...

Last edited:
^^^ They remind me of Slim Jims, hopefully they are better.

Back when I was in sausage making mode I always had a ring of smoked kielbosi hanging from the rear view mirror in my truck in cool weather. When it got dry and hard I would replace it with another. It turned into a kielbosi salami that I would trust to take on an extended trip, unfortunately I never had any left by tripping season.

Well, if you're gonna smoke something it might as well be something you can pass around. I don't Bogart mine. I share freely,
but no-one is much interested. I seem to be the only one who loves smoked mackerel, also called kippers.
What did you think I was talking about?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipper
I'd take these tripping but my better half will actually drop the F bomb if I pursue the matter. At home I'm required to fry them up outside on the BBQ. When she's not home. Sadly they're getting harder and harder to find. There's nothing like kippers and eggs for breakfast!

Odyssey;n59286 I'd take these tripping but my better half will actually drop the F bomb if I pursue the matter[/QUOTE said:
It's tough being married, I'm not allowed to eat sardines in bed.

Smoked fish would be good for variety on a trip. Dried king salmon strips from the Yukon were the best, but I doubt you can find them commercially available anymore. What I see out there today is made from chum salmon and is no where near as good.

As far as bringing meat on a trip, I no longer bring fresh or even fresh frozen meat, even steaks. I precook everything and then freeze. It cuts down on potential spoilage and eliminates the possibility of a bloody mess at the bottom of the food pack.

Yeah, I agree that smoked kippers are great. I was in a restaurant several years ago where they asked if anyone would like a kipper while waiting for the order. They steamed them up IIRC and got them on the table in several minutes.

The smoky smell filled the room and I'll bet that that same smell would attract every bear and raccoon if it was released on a canoe trip. Salami too, probably.

Smoked mussels and clams.. but they are so easier commercially canned ( odor prevention but not quite as good as home smoked)

Back