• Happy Scream Day! 😱

What kinds of dry meats do people bring?

Reaction score
I am interested in taking some dry meats with me this summer. I hear people talk about bringing dry sausage but I am unsure what exactly people are bringing. What do you bring with you that will keep during those hot humid days of summer?

Homemade jerky or any dry sausage. They will all say keep refrigerated but a dry cured meat will keep. I have done this for long trip and never had an issue.

I'd like to try making my own Biltong

Dry sausages, keep really well, so does prosciutto! Jerky of couse is a staple of all year travel!!
We also bring, depending on the menue, dry ground meat for pasta sauce, lasagna, chilli, shepherd pie!

Rock-hard salami has been proven to last through hot weather and probably anything hanging there in the deli at room temps will as well (eg. pepperoni). Lots of flavor is the thing that really makes it with salami... great with granola if you don't want to cook and bannock if you do.

I've read that hummus will dehydrate well and keep for a meat alternative... and making your own jerky from a round steak should save some $$$.

I tried some dehydrated ground beef last year and it turned out well. I also tried some of that pre cooked bacon stuff that does not need refrigeration, it wasn't bad. Salami or anything I see hanging at the local butcher is a great idea. Any favourites dry sausage? What are you bringing? How about something to cut up into a jambalaya? Jerky of course is always a staple!

I could live on a charcuterie spread of dry cured meats, cheeses and bread. And a decent bottle of red. A neighbour introduced me to a local Polish deli when we first moved here to this city. I almost wish he hadn't. It's too hard to resist some days.
We've enjoyed Landjager on some trips. It's reasonably easy to find in delis, and keeps very well in summer. Snack sized pepperoni sticks too. Also good, not having to bother to slice salami when you can just reach for a smaller individual sized portion.

Odyssey I am not very good with some culinary terms. After a brief look on the net it looks like charcuterie is the name given to a technique of preserving meats. Is a charcuterie spread a mix of dry cured meat and dry cheese puree or a term for a layout out these two separate foods? Landjager looks quite good. I like that it is a semi dry and will be softer in other dishes.
​As a side note, a friend brought some of the non dry peperoni last year on a 10 day trip...by day 2 it didn't smell so good. The dried stuff is great though.

While shopping for a Yukon race, I noticed that the markets in Whitehorse have a special affinity for packaged semi-dry sausages. There are long rows of many kinds that I have not noticed elsewhere. I can attest that they keep well for at least a couple of days while paddling, and satisfy an urge for protein and fat.

Odyssey I am not very good with some culinary terms. After a brief look on the net it looks like charcuterie is the name given to a technique of preserving meats. Is a charcuterie spread a mix of dry cured meat and dry cheese puree or a term for a layout out these two separate foods? Landjager looks quite good. I like that it is a semi dry and will be softer in other dishes.
​As a side note, a friend brought some of the non dry peperoni last year on a 10 day trip...by day 2 it didn't smell so good. The dried stuff is great though.

LOL, it refer to an available variety of dry meat all sliced up, or not...

We pr-cook bacon for all our trips now, not exactly the same as freshly cook bacon over the campfire, but way less messy and smelly and up here it is a plus!!

You could also pre-cook regular sausage, and then vacuum pac them and then freeze, they would last many days even after they taw.

Up here the water stays fairly cold even in the hot of summer, so as long as you keep the stuff close to the canoe bottom, and keep it out of the sun as much as possible, you can keep stuff for a long time. Organic stuff seems also to keep better... Like milk, I had a 2 liter of organic milk last me 9 days, where other milk would go bad in less than 2-3 days.

Dehydrated ground pork. To me it's more flavorful than ground beef
Also landjaeger.
Salami but that is kept chilled in a wet terry towel and insulated in bubble wrap and Reflectix. As well as good hard cheeses

Yes, as Canot says it's a (French) term for a selection of deli meats, that's all. By "spread", I just mean't "putting on a good spread" of whatever kind of meal. Know what I mean? Anyway, sorry for the confusion.http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/blog/montreals-best-charcuterie/
We don't eat lunches on trips very often, which is probably a bad idea I guess. I'm hoping to add some dry meats and cheeses to our future trips. I'm definitely not fond of GORP.

ps My wife loooovves pate, especially the spreadable duck liver stuff - foie gras. I can stomach it if there's enough pepper corns stuck on top. And enough red wine to wash it down with. I've been told I must find room in our food barrel this summer for a tub of this.

Last edited:
Pepperoni, jerky, and summer sausage all do fine without a cooler.

Additionally, though not dried or cured, I also take foil pouches of tuna, salmon, etc. that do not need to be kept cold.

We usually bring regular sliced pepperoni, the kind you put on pizza. I think that stuff will last forever regardless of the temperature. Pre-cooked bacon, or the packaged "real" bacon bits are a nice addition to almost any meal. Those are stored un-refrigerated at the store, so should last years. The only other thing we do for meat is dehydrate some special no bean chilli that has lots of ground beef in it. I always skim the fat off the top before I dehydrate, makes clean up easier out in the woods. Those of you who are from or know somebody from Cincinnati, Ohio would be familiar with it. The dehydrated stuff lasts for at least 3 weeks. I keep what I don't use in the freezer for longer term storage. It's nice because all I have to do is boil water, throw a cup in the ziplock bag with the chilli, boil the pasta and pour the chilli on top. Tastes just like at home and its easy!

90% lean dehydrated ground beef ,Chicken jerky, Beef Jerkey Ground turkey dehydrated, precooked bacon

Take a nice salami. It's a great with lunch and with some wine at dinner. I've also cut it up and thrown it into a spaghetti or gnocchi, with wine of course. grocery stores in Canada carry a nice salami that comes with different flavourings.

I've had homemade beef jerky before but I don't think it's worth the work. Jerky from butcher shops can be delicious and very reasonably priced. My favourite jerky is 1/3 the cost of store bought jerky.

Brad, canoeing without foie gras is terribly uncivilised.

Back