• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

What is better for few days on the river, waterproof bag or barrel?

Reaction score
What is better? I used both of it. Barrel is safer, but i don't like how it looks like. What you think?5a77657e32428a06f5fbe401a97f4f7c.jpgf2ffafb0712812c1291388bd750e2cbd.jpg

Waterproof drybags do wear out.. and stop being waterproof if the lining wears off.. And are prone to overpacking. Without four rolls on the top and rolled in a certain way they can leak.. Because of that I pack them in another dry bag for redundancy

I am not sure why the aesthetics of a barrel are so important.

I like my Duluth Packs with 1 or 2 Duluth Pack plastic liners. I have never used a barrel but I have gone on trips with folks who do, and they seem happy with them.
I like the look of Duluth Packs on the trail, and I find them comfortable on the portage. I have never had a leak the liners work well.
The only issue with bags is you can't really use them for much off season, barrels would be great for recyclables in the kitchen.:eek:

That barrel will work fine for food, and is better suited than a fabric bag I think. Odours and spills will be better contained and cleaned up. I put soft items in those dry bags instead, like clothes etc. Compression crush sacks are even better if space is an issue.
I have no idea what looks good. If you met me you would understand.

What works is best. The barrel should give you years of service, more protection for the contents. The bag would be easier on the inside of the canoe, easier to carry, but neither have shoulder straps. Looks, is way down on my list.

Barrels are convenient if you don't have to portage them too far and they tend to be much more waterproof than roll top dry bags. Lightweight dry bags protected inside a soft pack might fit into the canoe more efficiently and the pack can often by positioned so that the dry bag closures are above the bilge water.

And I am high on the portageability of barrels. You can get packs that fit small ones like yours and have the best of both pack and barrel.. Larger barrels like I have can be fitted with harnesses.. My 60 liter barrel has a nice Ostrom Harness that makes carrying the barrel for a mile an OK experience.. Plus I can stack stuff on top of the barrel as there is a strap that goes across the top of the harness.

Most of my trips are on the river and I use both 30 liter barrels and various sizes of dry bags. Food, kitchen gear and all smellables go in a barrel. If it's cooler or cold weather I use a second barrel for my sleeping bag, hammock and tarp, and an emergency change of clothes. Whatever is left can be double bagged in a dry bag. I am considering getting a 60 liter barrel for longer river trips.

What is better? I used both of it. Barrel is safer, but i don't like how it looks like. What you think?

For even a few days on the river I would rather have both. A “barrel”, even a small one, appropriately sized for food/cookware, and dry bags or packs for everything else. I want food in a hard shell, waterproof, odor-proof, un-nibble-able container. I do not like storing food or cook wear in dry bags. Bears be danged, it’s the rodents that will get you.

But for a weekend solo trip even the 30L barrel is massive food storage overkill.

The white barrel in the first photo is Cur-Tec wide neck drum.

http://www.curtec.com/en/products/drums/wide-neck-drums

Those Cur-Tec “drums” are a much better shape for packing than \_/ shaped pails. A better shape both for fitting food and etc inside the barrel (drum), and the container itself fits more neatly in a canoe.

I cut off three of the four lid handles on the smaller ones and tie a cord handle through the molded flange on the drum body for oppositional force when screwing and unscrewing the lid.

I have seen more of those Cur-Tec’s in use recently, and have a couple of the 10 litre/2.6 gallon ones. Two of them are food packed and stacked right now.

I wish I could find the 15 litre/4 gallon or 20 litre/5.3 gallons ones from a repurposed source. It would be packing advantageous to have choices of a 30L or 60L barrels as well as 15 or 20 litre hard sides.

I have leak tested them, half filled with water and upside down. Not a drop.

If anyone finds a repurposed purveyor of Cur-Tec wide mouth drums let me know. I want a 15L or 20L.

I'm a big fan of blue barrels, and like Mike a number of other chemical containers. One of the perks of working in labs. They seal well and are nearly indestructable. On rivers I don't have to worry about a strainer ripping the barrel open like I do with a dry bag. The really heavy duty dry bags cost as much as the barrels and still aren't as tough.

Down in the Ozarks, or anywhere around here in the Southern Midwest, the outfitters are always curious about the blue barrels. They've never seen them before, and they all think I'm going to get cancer from all the "chemicals". I also feel much better about leaving them in the bed of my truck unattended, since most laypersons don't associate them with valuable camping gear.

I like the Blue Barrels also, but I don't like the barrel pressing in on my spine, so I attached it to an old wooden pack frame. The added weight is well worth the extra comfort during a carry.

Waterproof drybags do wear out.. and stop being waterproof if the lining wears off.. And are prone to overpacking. Without four rolls on the top and rolled in a certain way they can leak.. Because of that I pack them in another dry bag for redundancy

I am not sure why the aesthetics of a barrel are so important.

I like to use gear, that is nice to my eyes :)

Thanks you all, it looks i'll be still using both, maybe i buy some better look barrel or put my barrel to some sleeve.

I like to use gear, that is nice to my eyes :)

Yes, me too, very high on my list of canoe tripping pleasures. I understand that others have different opinions, it's all good.

BTW, the Duluth Pack "Day Pack" in the center of my picture above contains my food in two Sealine roll top dry bags. When camped I hang them (the Sealine bags) in the tree or stash them along shore and keep the canvas pack in camp.

As far as the blue barrel no smell, I wonder how those barrels remain smell free when they spend so much time around a campfire or are handled by someone who just snacked on a plate of sliced salami. just sayin':rolleyes:

I have always used a soft pack with roll up top waterproof pack liners. Then inside the pack liners everything is in another waterproof bag, either a dry sack or a dry sack compression bag. I have not had any moisture issues to date with that set up. This year for my WCPP trip I bought a 30L barrel and a barrel pack from CCS to use specifically for food/kitchen stuff. I think the sealed barrel will hide food smells from the barrel better but I will still probably hang it to keep small critters away from it.

No options in many NPS locations in bear country - NPS-approved canisters are now required, and the list of approved canisters is fairly short! State parks in bear country are also adopting the NPS canister requirement, so check the regs before outfitting...

FROM the NPS site;

Allowed Canisters

Allowed Panniers
Steel salvage drums with a security lid may be used until panniers are purchased.
Not Permitted: Ursacks
Ursacks have not been allowed for use in Olympic National Park as a bear canister replacement even though some models were approved July 31st, 2014 for Grizzly Bears by the IGBC. They make a great addition to standard food hanging practices.

I use my barrel to cook on. To port it I throw it on top of my large canoe pack and steady it with one hand on a handle. I am not focused on having a "smell proof" container. I just feel better having my food in something that is almost indestructible. I hang it at night. Nothing is fool proof.
40864_156477307720131_2227397_n.jpg

We have gone to 30L barrels from a 60L to reduce weight...I pack too much into a 60L. We have also found that the screw top replacements for standard 5 gal plastic pails are pretty good.I have taken to using an old military rucksack to put the barrel inside and have the outer pockets for my water bottles and things. Longer trips would be a challenge but then I dont do those any more.

One idea that not many people use is the concept of a cache. If I am doing a loop trip I have left a food/water/pop cache about two - three days in to lighten my load. Just pick er up on the way out. You could vary those time frames depending on the trip. I usually leave a note with it.

I practice packed last weekend. The 60L barrel is a perfect fit for a ton of food and kitchen kit. It'll weigh about that much too. The big blue (recycling) barrel will be my carry. Hers will be the big blue dry bag. Everything in the dry bag is in waterproof crush sacks. I stood there more confused than normal. It was strange to see almost everything fit into so few packs. What was I forgetting? Well, odds and ends like axe and saw, rain gear and camp shoes...all fits in a large Woods portage pack. Voila! Total luxury in three packs. I must not be taking enough luxury.

Back