• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

What do paddlers do when the water is frozen?

Very impressed with the winter camping pics from everyone. Tough guys! I am spending my spare moments hiking sections of the Ice Age Trail, bit by bit.

DSC04453 (1000x743).jpg

DSC04446 (1000x750).jpg

Attachments

• DSC04446 (1000x750).jpg
    DSC04446 (1000x750).jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 0
Qayaq, very interesting post.

Your issues with cold and equipment remind me of my trucking days. Company policy did not allow overnight idling of a tractor, but try and get some help on a -25F morning in St Johnsbury, Vermont. I stayed in a motel, and learned that if you kicked the idle up enough, it fooled the computer and didn't register as idle time.
I'm glad those days are long gone.

Back in the early 80's I spent 6 weeks at the Army's Black Rapids Training Center 30 miles south of Delta Jct Alaska, living in quonset huts. For four of those weeks the ambient high temp was -20, we trained outside every day even at -40 and gale force winds.

I'm content to side by the wood stove at those temps now.

Last edited:
Very impressed with the winter camping pics from everyone. Tough guys! I am spending my spare moments hiking sections of the Ice Age Trail, bit by bit.

Mama, what part of the IAT are those pictures from? I'm in the Madison area, familiar with segments near Brooklyn and Devil's Lake/Gibraltar Rock. I wonder if it will ever be completed.

Mama, what part of the IAT are those pictures from? I'm in the Madison area, familiar with segments near Brooklyn and Devil's Lake/Gibraltar Rock. I wonder if it will ever be completed

Phil, Sounds like this spot is in your area. The pics show the bench and view on Sauk Point. This section of trail is about 8 miles out and back (4 miles for people who bring 2 cars). The Sauk Point Trail section of the IAT connects Parfrey's Glen to the more popular parts of Devil's Lake State Park. I dream of and hope for the Ice Age Trail to someday be completed, but doubt it will happen in my lifetime. Don't love the long connecting sections of slippery country road, for winter hiking I stick mostly to trail sections. Mama

Phil, Sounds like this spot is in your area. The pics show the bench and view on Sauk Point. This section of trail is about 8 miles out and back (4 miles for people who bring 2 cars). The Sauk Point Trail section of the IAT connects Parfrey's Glen to the more popular parts of Devil's Lake State Park. I dream of and hope for the Ice Age Trail to someday be completed, but doubt it will happen in my lifetime. Don't love the long connecting sections of slippery country road, for winter hiking I stick mostly to trail sections. Mama

Thanks, Mom. I haven't been on that part of the Trail, but I know the area. It's gorgeous.

Back