• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

What could you leave at home?

The trangia uses one little can of fuel, alcohol, per day if I cook breakfast and dinner. I almost always have a cup of hot cocoa for breakfast, but sometimes I don't eat a regular dinner. Just a protein bar. But I have never weighed or measured the fuel and bottle. The trangia fuel bottle is plastic. I need to weigh it too. My guess is that overall this is about the lightest I can go with cooking, unless I do I twig stove, which I have never done before. My biggest fear, as posted here in the fear thread, is hypothermia. So I worry about depending on getting a fire going in the event of an emergency, to get some hot drink into me.
Could you bring the trangia with some fuel (a few days?) as an emergency backup, but rely on a twig stove for day to day? Liquid is heavy, and twig stoves are pretty easy to light and use. Maybe add a few firestarters for wet weather. I carry vaseline-smeared cotton balls for that.

Also, I think of these questions in backpacking terms, where we think about the big three: shelter system, sleep system, cooking system. Typically those systems, in that order, are where the biggest weight savings can be found.

Edit: Should have read Alan's post more thoroughly. What he said wrt cooking.

Back