• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

What are your 2012 tripping plans?

W

Willis

I am planning a trip to Algonquin with a friend in mid August.

Re: What are your 2012 tripping plans?

In the spring, I am planning to head up to Clark Lake State Park for a couple of days of paddling around there. Maybe a day hike over to a place that has been on my want to see list, High Life Lake. After that, head east towards back home and spend a few days seeing how deep into the Mccormick Wilderness I can paddle. If there is any time left, head over to Big Island Lake Wilderness. This trip is so far solo (unless I can convince any of my friends to join me).

In the summer, spend a couple of days on the Manistee River.

In the Fall, just my annual Pine River day trip in November.

Thats it so far. Being my second season with a canoe I'll stay closer to home and visit a few places I have been meaning to get to.

I may do a tandem trip in the Adirondacks with a relative in July. Probably Low's lake, possibly the St. Regis Canoe area. We will see.

I just got a pile of books on the Yukon River and maps too from a friend who has done it.

Looking good for a two week trip covering...get this 500 miles. The river really moves. I am interested in it not only for scenery but for its fantastic history.

This will be a tandem trip using a Pakboat 170 ( it can be flown around easily) ..there will be other solo trips, notably Pukaskwa coast of Ontario and Maine ( A little different approach to the Allagash)

I wish I was retired and able to do big trips like that. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Retire in good health and look forward to it! One of us is retired and does the trip planning including ferreting out good airfares, thinking of logistics ( I think that is one thing you develop from solo canoe tripping )and doing lots of driving.

The other works. We do plan trips in a time frame that fits the working partner. I picked up my mate in Salt Lake City. And dumped him back on Delta there. Meanwhile I drove the stuff out and back.

Remember there are PakBoats and shipping ahead if you are time constrained. The drive to Whitehorse is a bit beyond even my driving ambitions. I could not think about it were it not for friends who have gone before. They have given me guidance I hope to improve on and pass along.

Starting to work on two different trips for 2012 both to the BWCA. Looking at a mid-May trip along with a first part of August trip.

One trip is hopefully going to be a solo and the other with my son and son-in-law.

Also have some trips in the back of my head for 2013. If I could only find a way that I didn’t have to work all summer……..

I hope to get a lot of small sections of the NFCT done: The last half of the Upper Ammonoosuc; The Nulhegan River; The Connecticut River, the last portion of the Moose River from Demo Road; the rapids below Pontook Dam on the Androscoggin...that would set me up to complete it in 2013. We'll see how this plan holds up.

I also plan on re-visiting one of my favorite sections with my wife and another couple: Lobster Lake and the West Branch Penobscot down to Chesuncook.

Probably a couple local day trips thrown in here and there too. And perhaps a fall trip to Raystown Lake in Pennsylvania.

It's both too much and never enough at the same time!

-rs

KevinL, I'm planning a solo trip to BWCA in May also. Maybe we'll bump into each other.

Looks like I better whomp up the dehydrator and start shopping fast!

January in the Everglades and freezing our collective tushes in Northern Florida. Florida is not all condos and warm swimming.
The Everglades holds amazing wonders and some of the toughest paddling with wind and tidal currents I have ever done. It usually dopeslaps the bejesus out of me. Far worse than northern lakes.

Still considering options...
We like to go right after school gets out...that week before July 4th weekend
One year at the time we had Little Tupper Lake (ADK's NY) all to ourself
Last year, we had several lakes in Killarney PP (Ontario) to share only with beavers.

This year...maybe Algonquin PP (Ontario), Oswegatachie(ADK's), haven't pulled out the maps yet...waiting to see what great ideas you all have!

Or maybe this will be the year we go west...Wyoming?
Scott

I love Little Tupper.

Little Tupper is an amazing Lake.
I love those sandy campsites on the north shore.
One had a great rock slab next to a swimming hole, warm in the sun.
The waves do kick up on that shallow lake...the loons were "laughing" calling and chattering all night. It was our first multi night ADK trip....great memories.
They say the parking lot gets full on July and August weekends, but in late June we had the place to ourselves.

I can't wait to get out to ADK one of these days. Not just for canoeing but some hiking as well.

Both LTL and Lila are great, I haven't done the traverse yet. There are a couple of other shorter trips I'd like to do as well. Some just carrying the canoe into ponds I usually backpack into.

DuctTape
Any specific ADK ponds on your wish list for the year? Give us details that will make roadends make the trip to the ADK's.
We're looking at Oswegatchie up and back from Wanakena.
Right now leaning toward Massasauga Prov. Park on Georgian Bay Ontario for our big first week of summer trip. Been checking maps of northern Michigan as well. The wish list changes every day this time of year!
Scott

The Oswegatchie is definitely on my list as well. Not sure of how I want to do it. Besides the Wanakena to HF, I also want to carry to Big Shallow, or go all the way to Lows and then return to Wanakena via the Grass Pond to Chairrock carry.

I also am looking to get back to just North of Stillwater and do some exploring from Salmon.

I have been to St. regis 3 times in the last 2 years, but I can see myself there again.

There are a few ponds in the Black River WF that deserve some attention too. Last December we paddled from Bear Lake down its outlet to the Jeep Rd. There is some exploration I'd like to do there.

Time to solo..doing some Florida rivers with a loose group starting in two weeks followed by five day solo in the Everglades (north end this time)
June ..the penalty is blackflies but the reward is guaranteed moose. Doing Johnson Pond to Allagash Lake to Caugamoc Lake, Black Pond and Chesuncook. There are a couple of long portages but some of this is country that I have not seen yet. The Ice Caves on Allagash Lake are on my must see list. This will be a solo.

Wow, sounds great YC. Are blacks gone by late June, or still annoying where the water is cold enough to hatch them?
Scott

Depends if the first hatch was able to mate and reproduce. Then subsequent hatches are more and more sterile. There are multiple hatches of blackflies in any northern forest. Usually the first one is the problem and the September hatch (the fifth normally) is sterile.

However a dry spring and plentiful rain later in summer can bring them out in August.

Last year they were an early fall bother. In September I got bit at home in the yard and out on the lee shores of islands in my lake.

Back