• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

What are your 2012 tripping plans?

So far we haven't experienced bad black flies yet on our last week of June trips. I did get some bites in the still, early morning by the water in Killarney last year...I can see how they would drive you nuts in large persistent quantity.
I looked up the Allagash ice caves...really interesting. Sounds like a great trip.
Scott

Late May - Somewhere in the Adirondacks for 4 days.

Late June or mid-July - Little Tupper, base camping with a relative who hasn't camped for quite a few years and has never canoe camped. He wants to see what it's like prior to committing to something that involves portages.

Mid August - Possible week in the northwest corner of Algonquin with friends. We will mostly paddle solo.

September/October - A couple weekends in the Adirondacks.

Last edited:
The Oswegatchie is definitely on my list as well. Not sure of how I want to do it. Besides the Wanakena to HF, I also want to carry to Big Shallow, or go all the way to Lows and then return to Wanakena via the Grass Pond to Chairrock carry.

I also am looking to get back to just North of Stillwater and do some exploring from Salmon.

I have been to St. regis 3 times in the last 2 years, but I can see myself there again.

There are a few ponds in the Black River WF that deserve some attention too. Last December we paddled from Bear Lake down its outlet to the Jeep Rd. There is some exploration I'd like to do there.

Thanks Russ, I didn't see that other thread, I'm new here!
Here's what I had in the other thread:

I have an early season trip planned with the usual gang to McCrorie Lake and a downstream paddle of Big Brook. I've had my eye on Big Brook for years, and the opportunity never seemed to present itself.
Also, a long day trip to the upper, Upper Jessup.
Another trip planned for the lower Bog, from Low's Lower Dam down to Bog River Falls.
And my son and nephew insist on a return trip to Fish Pond.
Then there's the "guy" trip to Shallow Lake and as much of Sucker as possible.

There's also family camping at Harris Lake and a cop out carriage ride in and out of Newcomb Lake for 3 days with the family...grandkids and all (nearly 3 and under 12 months).

And then there's the wish list:
Cedar River-Rock River loop.
Return to Witchhopple and new visit to Beaverdam and Little Rock ponds.

BTW, you can paddle upstream from Salmon to about 1/4 mile from Witchhopple...

That's some good intel about Salmon to Witchopple! Makes planning a little easier. I have wanted to explore that area ever since I did a quick overnight on Stillwater/Trout.

That's some good intel about Salmon to Witchopple! Makes planning a little easier. I have wanted to explore that area ever since I did a quick overnight on Stillwater/Trout.

In the summer of 2010, there were 6 beaver dams and 1 bank to bank deadfall. The deadfall is pretty much the end of upstream travel. We did paddle/line all the way downstream from Witchhopple back to Salmon. Everyone in our group agreed that was the highlight of the area...

Willis,

Have you picked specific destinations yet? That whole area is underappreciated, IMHO, especially wrt paddling.
I was extremely upset at the DEC plans to block off Otter Brook Rd, effectively eliminating access to Indain Lake. That little lake is a gem, and rarely paddled. The falls at the end of the lake were spectacular, if not for their size, then for their solitude.
Anyway, enjoy your trip and bring back lots of photos.

Willis,

Have you picked specific destinations yet? That whole area is underappreciated, IMHO, especially wrt paddling.
I was extremely upset at the DEC plans to block off Otter Brook Rd, effectively eliminating access to Indain Lake. That little lake is a gem, and rarely paddled. The falls at the end of the lake were spectacular, if not for their size, then for their solitude.
Anyway, enjoy your trip and bring back lots of photos.

My plan is to camp at the Flow for a couple nights, explore and then move to another location. I am waiting for the National Geographic map of the area to show up so that I can better plan.

I'm in the planning stage for the upper Mississippi from Lake Itasca to St. Cloud in early July and Woodland Caribou the last week of July through the first week of August. Also spending two weeks in Quetico in September and a few days in Sylvania in October.

2012 Paddling Plans - 8 months in

2012 Paddling Plans - 8 months in

AKA plans realized, and plans changed or plans delayed. My 2012 paddling plans were as follows (when posted last year to a lost SoloTripping thread):

“I’d like to put together a meet-up-on-different-days group trip.”

I tried, but for various work/home/family/health reasons only a single paddling pal was able to join me. Still in all a very fine trip, and I may try another before the year is over.

“I want to paddle the North Carolina’s Black and South Rivers in April again, trying to time it for the songbird migration peak. Mid-month last April was aurally astounding.”

Done in style, accompanied by three friends of easy company (all guides or ex-guides). That trip was so good I’m planning to do it again in October, adding in a few days camping and paddling at Hammocks Beach on the coast and maybe the Green Swamp or Waccamaw. Hoping for some of the same crew.

“I want to get further north than the Adirondacks on our summer family trip. Maine is calling, and it is time for something longer than a single week off.”

Not yet, but September is a fine time of year up north.

“I want to get further south than the Carolinas on our family spring trip. Maybe Crooked River SP and the marsh archipelago out to Cumberland Island.”

Didn’t happen in Spring 2012. Maybe over Winter Break 2013.

2012 has seen some wonderful solo trips, several outings with my family, trips in waters new to me, trips on waters I haven’t seen for 20 years, trips with friends I hadn’t paddle beside in far too long and trips with paddlers new to me. All the hallmarks of a good paddling year.

Perhaps best of all 2012 saw a couple of trips I wasn’t on; trips organized by my younger son for him and his friends. It’s good to see familial traditions take root (even if he did pin one of my canoes on a high water run a few miles from home).

Actually, I hope that the best parts of my 2012 paddling are yet to come. I’ve still got plans, and 4 months to work with. Fall and early winter are my favorite times to paddle.

And mid-winter. And spring.

Plans with others usually fall apart but this year I had a few friends flying in to Woodland Caribou Provincial Park (WCPP) to join me for a week. When they had their plane secured I let others know about the empty planes coming in to pick them up and two others snatched up the seats. Waleswalker flew in later to join the party and we had great times paddling together.

The start of my month in WCPP entailed getting across the park as quick as I could. I asked advice of many and decided the Werner Camano all carbon paddle would take the sting out of the crossing. It worked better than expected, 48 hours after unloading the canoe from the vehicle at the Onnie access I was entering Craven Lake on the west side of the park. My plans for 2012 worked out to perfection.

My 2012 plans included a month in WCPP as well as Martin. Most of it was a solo, but the final leg was spent traveling out of the park with friends, Hogan and Martin were part of the group. I had a great time, I paddled up to several moose, 2 were mature bulls. I was lucky enough to have caribou walk into camp on two seperate occations. I saw otters, many birds or prey ... it was a very rewarding trip. However, I also injured my knee and lost two toe nails. I was holed up on a rock campsite on Royd lake for 14 long days. That was pretty diffiucult for me. However, I look on the entire trip as a good one. My knee is still on the mend, but I think on my trip with happiness and I am glad I did it. The beauty of the back country is hard to put into words.

Bob.

Sure would be nice to see some pictures and write ups of these trips. Always interesting and inspiring to me.

I am waiting for a disc from Hogan and then I will make up a youtube video showing the WCPP gathering.

A little problem I got into. Forget the bears, sweat the small stuff! like a bug bite 7811993004_00e3ca0d0d_m.jpg A picture on my first try, priceless!

imagine being with us-The Gathering-night#5-stomachs full of walleye from Joey Lake- hot coffee as the moon rises- good friends and good times. 7812096770_b51673e094_m.jpg

I forgot about your eye Martin! Your pics are awesome, I especially remember the huge Walleye dinner, the coffee and the moon rising as we were snug under the tarp with Hogans twig stove warming us. That was an incredible evening for sure.

Bob.

Back