• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wha' cha like? Wha' cha don't like?

G

So, wha' cha like to catch? And wha' don't like to catch?

I like to catch bass on the surface, but I'll take them subsurface if they're not rising. I love to catch perch for eating, but rarely do because I fish with big lures so I cast farther.

I don't like to catch pike under five or so pounds. They're berserkers boatside and they cut line. I do, however, like to catch pike in the twenty-pound range. I love their runs and they don't seem as dangerous beside the boat because of their bulk, which makes them slower.

I'm a little indifferent to trout. I've never caught them in shallow water when they make the drag sing, but I bet that's fun. They are, however, mighty purty.

Preference would be Large and Smallmouth Bass, but they are scarce in Manitoba. Largemouth only reside in one reservoir that I am aware of. I'm originally from southern ontario which explains the bass thing. Out here it is mostly pickerel (walleye) that we catch in abundance and pike of course. We have certain places we go we can catch pickerel any time of day at any time of year, even with 80 degree water temperature. We generally figure out the pattern on a new body of water the first time out too. Fish till you catch them, note what they are holding on, go try the same areas elsewhere and see if they are there, there is the pattern. Simple enough, but I do pack a portable depth finder when we go to new waters. Pike are alright if they are bigger but so far the monsters have eluded me. We love catching and eating perch and will go look for them specifically. On Obukowin Lake a couple years ago, we got into a nice set of perch in the 11-13" range and on that lake, once you know the pattern, you can catch 14-16" pickerel all day long.

I am guilty of taking 10 pounds of tackle and a couple of rods even on our more remote trips but I have to portage it so it is ok. Generally, yellow jig with yellow Berkely twister is the only thing we use and it catches everything, all sizes.

Don't much care about trout at all. Never would specifically go fish for them but I'd love to get into a great Smallmouth lake close to Winnipeg, other than the heavily cottaged ones near Kenora. Canoes only until I get my boat fixed up and on the water, maybe next year.

I am a Walleye fanatic! I love to use jigs ( my weapon of choice ), but I will use cranks at times. I also enjoy smallies. In the spring and through the ice I am an avid bluegill, crappie lover. We ( my family) love to eat fish, I love to catch fish - so it all works out.

There really is not a fish I do not like to catch ... well may be hammer handle pike. I love catching carp for the power and fight they give, I eat catfish and they can pull prett good too, all panfish are on the menu, large and small mouth are fun to catch, walleye fishing is my second favorite religion. I will start open water river fishing for eyes at night heer in about 2 weeks. It is terribly cold but often worth it. When I canoe up in the WCPP it is walleye fishing Nirvana!

Bob.

Bob B is in his own category when it comes to walleye fishing! Fish for dinner? No problem, give him 15 minutes.

@ Mihun09

"I am guilty of taking 10 pounds of tackle and a couple of rods even on our more remote trips but I have to portage it so it is ok. Generally, yellow jig with yellow Berkely twister is the only thing we use and it catches everything, all sizes."

Me too! I take soooo much tackle and generally fish two lures: an F13 Rapala and a brass Mepps.

There are lots of lakes near Kenora that hold smallmouth where you'll be the only one on the lake. Here are a couple pics of bass caught on a lake just north of Kenora. It's right on Jones Road, so you just stop and plop your canoe into the water. We've taken lots of bass the size of these two in Kenora area lakes and none of those lakes have cottages. We release them all, so unless someone else caught and kept them, they're still there!

405532783.jpg

405532775.jpg

Wow, thems some nice Bronze backs man!! Great looking smallies, boy they are fun to catch.

Hogan buddy, thanks for the fishing praise! We sure have had a few excellent meals together in the back country eh? My knee still hurts and do not know how much canoeing I have left in it ... but man I sure miss those wild places. I keep watching Martin's videos ... gosh I get so homesick for those old water ways ... even windy b&@$h rock!

Bob.

Nothing fights like a smallmouth! Especially on the surface! Growing up on the East Coast, I was a fly fisher only, after the reclusive brook trout. From the age of 12, when my dad taught me how to tie my own flies, I hit the local streams every night with my old bamboo fly rod. When I came to Northern Ontario, I started tying really large deer hair flies and surface popping for pike, which was a lot of fun. However, once I ate my first walleye, I forsook my flyrod and went to the regular fishing rod and jigs. I love eating walleye, can never get enough. I think next spring, I will return to the flyrod. I bought a new one a year ago, and I am going to try to snag the bottom feeding walleye using a variety of streamers. Oh ya, I have caught quite a few whitefish up here using the fly rod too. Great to eat in the fall, very tender!

Not a big fisherman here in LA (yeah, that's kinda sacrilegious). The water's too warm, the fish are often wormy, and they're often muddy tasting. But when I'm in NY, I usually spring for the out of state license to catch some brown or brook trout in the Adirondacks... mostly I end up with bass, which fight nicely, but I generally let them all go. I only eat the trout... there's just something good about a fish caught in clean, cold water.

Mostly I use worms, jigs or spinners... I don't fly fish for them. My tackle box is one of those small Plano boxes with 5 or 6 compartments on each side. One side is a variety of spinners. The other side is jigs, hooks, and sinkers.

Last edited:
I'm not a fisherman, but noted on a tree a notice to fishermen: Aziscohos Lake in ME has too many landlocked salmon particularly those between 12 and 16 inches. There is basically a commandment on that tree to go forth and fish and eat three salmon a day.

:( I don't know how to fish.

It's funny because ever since I heard that story, I am diligent about making sure I have nothing dangling out of the canoe before embarking. I have been bitten by a pike having my fingers over the side of a boat as well. dang aggressive fish. Also the reason I am very hesitant to swim in the lake, especially nekid.

I like to catch just about anything. I mostly fish for Small mouth and Large mouth Bass from my boats. I enjoy the paddle and the float to find fish.
I enjoy fly fishing for Trout while wading streams. Something about watching Trout rising is very relaxing and entertaining to me and I could watch them for hours.
I never keep fish. That started because I never felt like cleaning them and since then just became the way I fish.
I envy a lot of you that have Pike in your waters. I have only caught some of their little brothers, Pickerel. Never caught a Walleye either.
I have never paddled my canoe without a fishing rod and I don't think I could ever do that. I think I'm addicted.
Oh yeah, what cha don't like to catch...Eels and Catfish. Just too much slime all over me and my gear. Of course when I catch one, it puts a smile on my face, but I try to avoid them.

Schiff
You gotta go for more pickerel. Pike can be fun, they can be annoying, they are very aggressive. Big pike are a chore in a canoe, that is when we find a place to land and beach them. I've had too many thrashing pike around my feet spraying slime everywhere. I'll take a Musky over pike any day, miss fishing for Largemouth and Smallmouth waters are rare in Manitoba. Too bad you don't eat any because perch are even better tasting than pickerel are.

Back