• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

West System 423 Graphite vs 420 Aluminum Powder?

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
I was recently given a full unopened can of West System 420 aluminum powder.

https://www.westsystem.com/420-aluminum-powder/

I have used 423 graphite powder often in the past on skid plates and keel strips.

https://www.westsystem.com/423-graphite-powder-2/

Other than the aluminum powder being three times as heavy per quart can (36oz vs 12oz), twice as expensive ($50 a can vs $25 a can), and curing metallic grey instead of black either powder imparts UV protection with hardness and abrasion resistance.

I want to try the aluminum powder on the next junker rebuild that comes through the shop.

If anyone has worked with aluminum powder please do tell.

Mike, knowing nothing about performance of the coating, but growing up on salt water, my only concern is that aluminum reacts badly with salt water, and such reactions are surface-area controlled. Aluminum powder would react much more quickly than an aluminum thwart (also anodizing helps). If the coating is intended to be somewhat ablative then the risk of corrosion seems too great. If it’s a primary coat with sealer coats over it, the risk is lessened. If the boat never sees salt water than I suppose this is all moot!

Mike,
As you may know I own an R & D company that specializes in the field of applied tribology.
As such, we have researched and developed proprietary dry film lubricants, mostly for aerospace hydrodynamic bearing usage.
The third body properties of aluminum would not be conducive to such an application. Aluminum has a high coefficient of static and dynamic friction and heat transfer properties that may not play well with solar heated surfaces.
I would use the aluminum powder as a filler for some automotive cosmetic repairs…not for anything canoe related.

But that’s just my personal jaded opinion.

Woodpuppy and Stripperguy, thank you, you have prevented me from making a hard to rectify experimental mistake on some rebuild.

I have lots of 423 graphite powder for black skid plates or keel strips, a little bit goes a long way, and a small jar of hexagonal Boron Nitride (hBN) to try for toughened white skid plates or keel strips.

https://www.amazon.com/MICROLUBROL-HEXAGONAL-NITRIDE-Powder-micron/dp/B01N4CSJCB

I would like to find someone who has an application for the 420 aluminum powder. A quick search shows:

Aluminum powders are used in paints, pigments, protective coatings, printing inks, rocket fuel, explosives, abrasives and ceramics; production of inorganic and organic aluminum chemicals; and as catalysts

Anyone on Canoe Tripping have a use for a full unopened quart of aluminum powder? At $50 a can it needs to find a new home, and I know where there is a mistakenly delivered case of the stuff that West System didn’t want shipped back.

Oh jeeze, rocket fuel and explosives, if the NSA wasn’t already reading my posts they are now.

Back