• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Wenonah Solitude?

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Wenonah Solitude (solo in Tuf-weave)? I know they have been out of production for awhile, but I found one used. Intended use would be general day paddling, and occasional tripping on lakes and the local slow moving rivers.

I have never paddled a Wenonah Solitude, but can offer this from an old Wenonah catalog:

Length 15’ feet 6 inches
Max width 31 ¼ inch
Gunwale width 23 inches
Waterline width 30 inches
Center depth 13 ½ inches
Bow height 19 inches
Stern height 16 ½ inches
Slightly flared stems, tumblehome center
Weight 32 to 48 lbs

Catalog verbiage: “A Jensen designed solo-recreational canoe that delivers fine performance yet is easy to control”
“Made for moderate use on friendly water, this is a typical Jensen design that goes a long way on each stroke. . . . great for sightseeing or day outings. . . . even short trips if you are small or travel light. . . . blah, blah, blah further “blend of performance with turning” and “excellent stability for a fairly small canoe”, whatever the heck that means.

Kevlar 32 lbs
Tuf-weave 40
Center rib kevlar 43 lbs
Center rib Tuf-weave 48 lbs

Sounds like a fine easy water day boat or gram weenie tripper.

I have never paddled a Wenonah Solitude, but can offer this from an old Wenonah catalog:

Length 15’ feet 6 inches
Max width 31 ¼ inch
Gunwale width 23 inches
Waterline width 30 inches
Center depth 13 ½ inches
Bow height 19 inches
Stern height 16 ½ inches
Slightly flared stems, tumblehome center
Weight 32 to 48 lbs

Similar specs to the Wilderness, but with narrower gunwale width (so more pronounced tumblehome)

[FONT=&quot]DIMENSIONS

Length
[/FONT]
15' 4" (467.36cm)
[FONT=&quot]Gunwale Width [/FONT]27" (68.58cm)
[FONT=&quot]Maximum Width [/FONT]30.5" (77.47cm)
[FONT=&quot]Waterline Width [/FONT]29.75" (75.565cm)
[FONT=&quot]Stern Depth [/FONT]17" (43.18cm)
[FONT=&quot]Center Depth [/FONT]14" (35.56cm)
[FONT=&quot]Bow Depth [/FONT]19" (48.26cm)
[FONT=&quot]Rocker [/FONT]1.25" (3.175cm)

Snakeybird, how large are you? I'm 6'2", 240 and have a Wilderness, which is about the smallest solo I feel comfortable in. I suspect that the narrower gunwale width on the Solitude might feel a little cramped to me, but I've never paddled one.

Last edited:
Hi snakeybird,
I bought one when Wenonah first offered the model and kept it for a number of years. It's about as tender as most solo boats, is relatively deep so is ok in lake waves, and not particularly maneuverable on tight twisty streams given its lack of any rocker. I'm 6' tall and around 240, but didn't feel that the boat was too narrow for me. Holds a decent load of gear. Mine was in kevlar with an interior foam rib along the keel line. I sold it to my brother in law last year. He likes it a lot. I have nothing really bad to say about it. Clipper Canoes might still offer the model. I solo in a Nova Craft Bob Special now.
Hope this helps.

Tony

Thanks for the catalog specs and feedback folks!

I am a woman and 5'6", but want a solo big enough to carry a well behaved 65 pond dog along with me, or take a preschooler around the local lakes. I am not looking for a small, twisty stream boat. I am a bit concerned it may be too wide for me; what paddle do all of you use?

Snakeybird,
From my experience, the canoe paddles equally well with a straight shaft paddle (j-stroking), bent shaft paddle (sit and switch) or a kayak paddle. I had the pedestal seat removed and an adjustable webbed bench seat installed which improved comfort while kneeling. The widest part of the hull will be at and behind the seat.

Tony

Thanks for the catalog specs and feedback folks!

I am a woman and 5'6", but want a solo big enough to carry a well behaved 65 pond dog along with me, or take a preschooler around the local lakes. I am not looking for a small, twisty stream boat. I am a bit concerned it may be too wide for me; what paddle do all of you use?

I'm not sure I would feel comfortable adding a kid or dog to the mix with that canoe. You can make adjustments with gear or ballast to keep it trim, but it's where the weight of the kid or dog would be that would concern me. I assume they would have to sit in front of the thwart in the bow end, and that would be a pretty narrow spot to have any amount of "live" weight moving around.

Having said that, though, I've never tried it. Lots of other folks here with way more experience who can chime in.

When I saw the specs I thought it sounded like a nearly perfect small solo for carrying a 65 pound dog or small child. You'll need to adjust trim accordingly by either sliding the seat back (narrower paddling station as a bonus) or adding weight to the stern. A roll top dry bag filled with water at the put-in works well for this and is what I use

The dog will probably be a little cramped but as long as the dog is calm in a canoe it should be fine. If you moved the seat back you could also move the front thwart back, giving a little more room up front.

I paddled many hundreds of miles in a Bell Magic (6" longer but a good deal narrower) with a 60-65 pound Springer Spaniel in the bow. I weigh 170.

The boat might be a little wide for you but you might get along just fine with it too depending on your paddling style and how you use the canoe. Any chance you can try before you buy?

Alan

Thanks for all the info, everyone. The seller is ~200 miles away and is being wonderfully accommodating, so yes, I can try before buying. He wants to do more twisty creeks, scored a Bell Yellowstone and is eager to pass along the Solitude. My greatest concern is the weight; 48 lbs is heavy, but then the boat is a 1994, so maybe it was OK in the mid 90's. I am curious what the advantage of the center ribs was? I am guessing the haul sure wouldn't flex. Also, how much weight does a skid plate kit add? It has some old repairs, and one spot needs a repair (white fiber showing); how challenging is this? A gelcoat repair kit from Wenonah is included with the sale of the boat.

I am still working on developing a paddling style; I am a relative novice with canoes. I certainly learn something every time I go out.

I have been practicing with the child and dog in my barge of a tandem for a couple summers. My 5 year old niece is preternaturally quiet in the canoe; she is so fascinated by everything. I gave her a paddle for the first time last fall, and that was a big hit, if a bit splashy. The coming 3 year old niece bounces around like a bowling ball, and I do not take her out solo.

Here is a link to a description and photos.

https://forums.paddling.com/discuss...noe-for-sale-with-portaging-yoke-chicago-area

For sure the ribs are to add stiffness but I haven't ever seen ribs like that. Would like to learn more.
That seems very much like a dedicated sit and switch canoe
My ex dog would never put up with being that cramped but your dog may differ . Don't forget to take the dog.. In a canoe that pinched mine would stand.. I think its your dogs decision.

After seeing those pictures of the hull I might have to take back what I said about it being large dog friendly. I'd mostly fixated on the max 31 1/2" width in the specs and assumed it was a larger volume hull with full ends. I completely missed the 23" gunwale width, which is the same as the Magic. The tumblehome looks like it might run farther to the bow than the Magic as well, which will make it tighter for your dog.

As for repairs what it needs are no big deal. I'd use thickened epoxy and a little paint rather than gel coat. Even the chunk missing with cloth showing below wouldn't have to be fixed if you didn't feel like it. It's just a missing piece of gel coat.If you wanted skid plates I'd use fiberglass or dynel rather than those thick kevlar felt ones. We can offer more advice on that if you get the boat and want to do the repairs.

Alan

Last edited:
looks like a beauty to me, those dings and scratches are nothing a few hours here and there with some gel coat and sanding putty can't fix. You probably won't be able to match the color exactly, but with some gel and a little pigment you might get pretty close.

That one bit with the fiber showing looks to me like more of a gel coat bonding problem or undetected and unrepaired air bubble from the factory. I would expect any impact hard enough to break that much gel coat would show spider web cracks in the surrounding area. Exposed fiber looks too clean to me to be the result of any major shock. Anyway, I wouldn't sweat any of those repairs as anything consequential, just a few hours for an experienced glass guy or gal. :)

Thanks everyone! I am not familiar with tuff-weave, so the advice regarding the repairs being minor is really helpful. I honestly am not concerned about an inexact color match for a potential repair. The seller is going to find a scale and weigh the boat; he seems pretty certain it does not weigh 48 lbs.

Back