• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Weather radios and tripping

Weather forecasts available through my InReach are probably much better than anything available through a weather radio, coverage for virtually the entire planet .

Actually they're using the exact same info, and it's not true that it's "customized for your exact location" It's only using the data from the nearest weather station, same as weather-radio does

Actually they're using the exact same info, and it's not true that it's "customized for your exact location" It's only using the data from the nearest weather station, same as weather-radio does

Could be but having my weather, gps, compass and emergency satellite sos all in one small device far outweighs taking a weather radio, IMO.

Map of weather radio stations in Canada... to get some idea of coverage, adjust scale until a distance bar of fifty km appears, about the radius range of a station's coverage. Yup, I'm in an area with no coverage, and so are many canoe routes. I've been using AM skip at night or local CBC stations to get weather reports, but often just note wind + direction and hope for the best. Trees snapping overhead, torrential rain, deafening lightning strikes, and so on can be an indicator of poor weather.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...sa=0&ll=44.20470610256287,-78.10313134375&z=7

I used to spend a week every year in late spring on the US/CA border on Lake Champlain. The weather radio was borderline comical- if there wasn’t a significant weather event it was always “partly cloudy with a chance of showers.” Hedging their bets I guess. As frozentripper said I was only really interested in the wind -unless it was something biblical.

Bob

That's not true, I use those same sources when I'm following the "action" on Everest or K2 and elsewhere (Using Windy.com mostly), they give different forecasts for Base Camp or the Summit and inbetween, closest actual weather stations are a long way from there and at MUCH lower altitudes.

They are computer generated of course based on the actual ground station measurements massaged by AI so the immediate temps/precipitation can be off slightly but I've done trip where the closest weather reporting equipment would be 300km away but the precipitation forecasts via InReach are often accurate to 10-15 minutes. Forecasts for the next are of course less reliable/accurate.

Back