• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Water does go up hill!

Reaction score
I would not believe it if I did not see it. My buddy decided to make his bachelor party a week long 42.5 mile long backpacking trip to Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore. These photos were taken on 5-12-13. Every time a creek, stream, trickle or river went over the cliffs the 45MPH winds off of Lake Superior were blowing spray back up cliffs creating these isolated ice forests.

Look toward the lower left of the photo. It was like a garden hose being sprayed up the cliffs.

The ice forest.

Us getting wet walking through. After getting soaked walking through the first one I learned it was worth the time to put on rain gear.

A not so happy Lake Superior. Yes some waves made it up the cliffs.

Mods: If this to far off topic feel free to move or delete

Wow! I have been to Pictured Rocks but in the summer. With a nice Superior. I would not like to be in that in a boat!

Yeow!! How tall are those cliffs?? And how big is that surf? I can just imagine myself and my little DY getting pummeled and broken in the surf and against those cliffs...
Does anyone venture out in that kind of water? I would think even a very sturdy kayak and a skilled paddler would get beat up, or worse!

Some of the dunes in Pictured Rocks are 200 feet tall. From what I remember from the water side.. the cliffs were about 70-100 feet tall.

Wow! Beautiful scenery though. I'll stick to small ponds. I never liked putting on the appropriate clothing to paddle that stuff.

Great idea for a bachelor party get away roadends. The crazy weather made it all the more memorable. I've only car camped next to Superior. I've tried to screw up the courage to try a little sojourn along the coast, but even in flat calm, Superior looks fickle and moody.

The crazy weather made it all the more memorable. ...Superior looks fickle and moody

Yes we all said that this years weather would be the story. About 25 miles south of the lake shore it started snowing on the ride up. After our brief visit at the ranger station to get our permits, we started on trail with a little better than 1" of new snow. By the end of the week we were playing catch and frisbee shirtless on the beach with a temp in the upper 70's.

Kaine

I live near Pictured Rocks, so if I'm going out for a weekend, that's where I go. My mother always used to say, "I hope you have nice weather." But I grew to realize that it was pretty cool to *not* have nice weather, at least if you were backpacking. The lake is very in impressive when she gets in a snit.

Back