• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Warm winter=early paddling in spring?

Reaction score
I know we have posters from all climates on this board, but it has been crazy warm this winter in WNY.
I think that's why I have been thinking about canoeing so much...I even had the maps out yesterday looking at the ADK's, PA, Ontario, Michigan...even Wyoming.
The creeks here are full, even the ponds have very little ice. We ice fished last year at this time on 8 inch ice. So I wonder if we will have an early "ice out"(assuming we get "ice in").
Anyone else planning for spring? What's weather like in your area?
Scott

Re: Warm winter=early paddling in spring?

I live in central New York near Oneonta. I need a wet suit. These temps are too warm to stay indoors.

I'm in central Wyoming. Extended spells of warm weather here, too. Rivers are not open but they're not frozen over either. I paddle in a dry-suit which is usually in storage at this time of year. When paddling the open sections I've found the ice too thin and soft to be safe enough for portage to the next open section. Nice to be paddling occasionally but requires extreme caution.

I've several trips planned to the backcountry regions of the Tetons and the Yellowstone parks but will not be able to go early as the access dates don't allow. Quite honestly, they're high enough that varying ice/snow melt times don't vary a great deal.

I will be hitting some of the more easily accessed paddling spots in those parks for day paddles at earlier dates this year if these weather patterns continue. Such trips would include Jenny lake, Leigh lake, Lewis river channel, West Thumb portion of Yellowstone lake, etc.

Flaming Gorge reservoir is a huge body sharing a SW Wyoming- N Utah border. Its an excellent place for day paddles as well as extended trips. I seldom go there before May but may be able to make an April trip this year.

I have a Wenonah Wilderness on order being done in a white Tuf-weave with black trim. Hoping to receive it in mid March and can't wait to go scratch it :)

Well it was warm here in North Iowa and all the snow was gone but things have sure changed in the last ten days. May get some ice fishing in yet, but don't think my shack will be going out with me this year. Guess will have to wait and see about getting the canoe out.

[quote author=Holmes375 link=topic=144.msg378#msg378 date=1327540333]
I'm in central Wyoming. Extended spells of warm weather here, too. Rivers are not open but they're not frozen over either. I paddle in a dry-suit which is usually in storage at this time of year. When paddling the open sections I've found the ice too thin and soft to be safe enough for portage to the next open section. Nice to be paddling occasionally but requires extreme caution.

I've several trips planned to the backcountry regions of the Tetons and the Yellowstone parks but will not be able to go early as the access dates don't allow. Quite honestly, they're high enough that varying ice/snow melt times don't vary a great deal.

I will be hitting some of the more easily accessed paddling spots in those parks for day paddles at earlier dates this year if these weather patterns continue. Such trips would include Jenny lake, Leigh lake, Lewis river channel, West Thumb portion of Yellowstone lake, etc.

Flaming Gorge reservoir is a huge body sharing a SW Wyoming- N Utah border. Its an excellent place for day paddles as well as extended trips. I seldom go there before May but may be able to make an April trip this year.

I have a Wenonah Wilderness on order being done in a white Tuf-weave with black trim. Hoping to receive it in mid March and can't wait to go scratch it :)
[/quote]

Welcome to our site Holmes! You paddle some fantastic country.

[quote author=Willis link=topic=144.msg380#msg380 date=1327541108]
Welcome to our site Holmes! You paddle some fantastic country.
[/quote]

Thank you, sir. Came to Wyoming in '88 chasin' employment. Been here long enough now I doubt the real world would want me back :)

Think drysuit!

We are blessed that the lack of snow is a good thing. Its awkward to climb over snow banks at closed boat launches..most are not plowed. We just finished an Everglades trip and are back in Maine and in about ten days ( we have a visit to Quebec in the meantime) we will get out on the many bays of the ocean that are found amongst the fingers of land of mid coast Maine.

And while the coast is pretty snow free there is enough at home for skiing.

A favorite winter pastime is snowshoeing. We haven't had enough snow yet! We should have a couple feet on the ground.

Dry suit and/or wet suit are on my wish list...to extend the paddling season.
Cross country skiing is my winter activity...been hiking in the woods instead...it has been very interesting to watch the critter trails, little creeks, and winter birds.
Scott

Back