• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Wabakimi - Flindt River Rock climbing routes

Reaction score
Hello,

No luck searching so I think I have my answer, but are there any rock climbing/bouldering opportunities in this area?

Thank you.

What makes Wabakimi so good for paddling (applies to much of the "Little North" area) is that there isn't a great deal of elevation change, thus the huge number of lakes and close by rivers flowing in different directions. Not to say that it's flat of course. One other issue is that you are in the Boreal Forest, bushwacking to the higher hills can be a chore and even then most are tree covered completely.

No doubt there are some spots with cliffs near the water, maybe rock falls, scrambling at the fringes might work for you.

caveat: consider the source, I have never paddled actually in Wabakimi but I've a done several trips through the surrounding areas.

That's a coincidence, I have been mapping out a route in that area lately, Flindt River is on the route. I can't say that I've thought about rock climbing there though.

Mark

If you want to branch outside of Wabakimi, the Steel River loop has some very interesting climbing opportunities at the north end. I'm not a climber, but have a friend who is one, and she said they would be excellent. Shown below is just one example.
steel cliff.jpg

If you want to branch outside of Wabakimi, the Steel River loop has some very interesting climbing opportunities at the north end. I'm not a climber, but have a friend who is one, and she said they would be excellent. Shown below is just one example.
View attachment 139626
Thank you mem. I am not a climber but my brother from Boulder is and he will be on this trip. I do have the Steel on my list though!

That's a coincidence, I have been mapping out a route in that area lately, Flindt River is on the route. I can't say that I've thought about rock climbing there though.

Mark
In case you don't have it, Wabakimi Canoe Routes by the Friends of Wabakimi has been pretty helpful. $45 but it is also for a good cause. I had mine here in NY in just a few days..

Although I quit rock climbing 25 years ago...as a former rock climbing instructor, my eyes are still automatically scanning the structure of each rock I see to check if it is climbable.

As far as I know last year a big fire burnt in the Flindt River area. Keep that in mind. In 2022 I paddled only a part of the Flindt River, from Heathcote Lake until I reached the portages to Flet Lake and went east into the Allanwater River system. I don't remember seeing any significant cliffs along my journey. I'm sure you'll find an occasional erratic rock that could serve for bouldering.

There is the west side of Cliff Lk NE of Armstrong. This is also a major pictograph site.
Even if I were still enthusiastic about climbing, I wouldn't do it in this place without permission of the local First Nation Community. For some people Cliff Lake is still a spiritual site.

South of the park boundary along the Collins River, southeast of Rushbay Lake, you could find climbable rock faces. But I didn't see any sign of established routes there. Your brother still could do some boulder traverses and ... just in case .... jump into the water.

Collins River cliff
DSCN1490 (2017_07_02 14_45_09 UTC).JPG

Probably good advice from Aslowhand to check on the advisability of rock climbing at Cliff Lk. Wabakimi Park staff could advise you on this. Quite awhile ago Uncle Phil had told me the First Nations had asked that access to Cliff Lk be limited to entry only with a First Nations guide. They were concerned about this sacred site being disturbed by visitors. As far as I know, this has not happened. And friends have visited there several times in recent years. They flew in via Mattice Lake Outfitters, so Don Elliot could also advise you on rock climbing there. The cliff tops are easily accessible via pathways.

When I was there in 2007, someone had chisled out a small picto from the rock face.

Thank you for your responses.

I have forwarded these to my brother and for the above reasons, and a few more, we have decided to wait until we return to Thunder Bay - some pretty good routes there.

Back