• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Visiting Canada Update (September 20, 2022)

Reaction score
Unconfirmed at this time but it's quite likely that restrictions on border crossing related to Covd-19 may be eliminated as soon as the end of this month.

Still needs the nod from the Prime Minister.

If this goes ahead it would mean the end of vaccination requirements, random testing and ArriveCan* becoming optional.

I will try to post an update if/when it becomes official policy.

* If ArriveCan becomes optional I would urge my US friends to continue using it to avoid delays and "issues" at the border.

I was told the same thing a week and a half ago while crossing at Pigeon Rv on the NW shore of Lake Superior. I had much difficulty trying to get through the online version of ArriveCan (too buggy, I guess.) I called Canada and was told to use the smartphone version which worked well.

That puts Wabakimi back at the top of my list for 2023. (I should probably buy some maps...)
You'll be fine Just put Bruce Hyers Lodge address in
We just got back from 21 days in Newfoundland camping all over the western third What we did was pick a place we could be found at at least one day of the first two weeks and find its physical address
The agent at the border didnt query us on actual day to day itinerary
And its possible to travel sans passport
Someone forgot to renew it in May
Canada does not require one for entry
The passport is supposed to be required for reentry to the US
We gave the agent on return to thr US the offender's drivers license and expired passport
the response was "that'll do in a pinch"'l
No lecture on our travelling sin.
However as Maine is not a Real ID state a valid passport is handy for domestic travel by air. Someone will be going to the town office with docs and pix in hand
We found that Arrive Can actually led to our inattentive state as we did not dig the passports out until 72 hours before
Not the time you want to see the date May 7 2022 as expiration
We tried to get an appointment to have an expedited passport but shortstaffing is a factor
We were told we could get in at 1 pm the next day
In the Chicago office
We live in Maine

Note on the enhanced drivers license and a Real ID.

While processing hundreds of people applying for TWIC cards (transportation worker id credential) for travel back and forth between the US and Canada, I was able to accept a passport and an enhanced ID, but not a Real ID. Many people came with just a Real ID and every one had to be turned away.

Only 5 border states now offering one.

This might not apply for the application discussed here - just wanted to get that out there.

Official Canadian site this afternoon states that border is open October 1.

Travel to Canada: Requirements for COVID-19 vaccinated travellers​

COVID-19 border measures end on October 1, 2022​

Starting October 1, 2022, all COVID-19 border requirements, including vaccination, mandatory use of ArriveCAN, and any testing and quarantine/isolation requirements will end for all travellers entering Canada whether by land, air or sea.
Until then, find out if you can enter Canada and use ArriveCAN before you enter.
News release

Aside from the Covid rules ending on October 1, what are the rest of the requirements for entering Canada and re-entering the USA? Do you need a current U.S. passport, or is a verified (Real ID, gold starred) state driver's license sufficient?

Regarding passports and Real ID, another option is to supplement your passport with a passport card, which is a wallet-sized version so you don't have to carry your actual passport around.

You have never needed a passport to get into Canada by car.. It is more efficient however than dragging around your elderly birth certificate ( the original.. a copy will not do) The US does not actually require a passport to reenter either but you will not find that out anywhere in print until you actually call Customs and Border Protection. Someone's passport expired in May and did not find out till filling out Arrive Can at the end of August at which time it was too late.. He entered Canada with drivers license for ID ( and ours is NOT a Real ID State) and original birth certificate .. And entered the US last week the same way.
But now he is enroute go get his passport photo and to the passport agent nearby. Now we can wait the 8-12 weeks.

Flying is different

Back