• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Virtual collaboration

Reaction score
Just a quick word of thanks to all that have been contributing to the various build discussions.
As a collective, it seems we have been collaborating and sharing ideas, techniques, personal preferences, etc.

I know I have certainly benefited from some of the discussions here, and I hope some of my ramblings have helped others.

This is what I always dreamed the internet could provide (not streaming videos of cats), meaningful, respectful summations of knowledge and experience!
What could be better!!

I'm just a quiet sitter and watcher, and have enjoyed them too. I'm waiting for the next virtual step - Skype canoe builds. The host shares a live build "show" in his/her workshop, while others watch - live, and can discuss the project. I have no idea how this could work, unless the host has multiple laptops and i-phones...
Anyway, just a futuristic thought. This site is becoming a library collection of canoe craftspeople sharing their builds.
You're right, what could be better.

I agree with stripperguy, lots of interesting projects being shared and the discussion that results from these builds be it a wannigan, knife, paddle, map case, wood canvas or stripper has been fun and educational.

I appreciate all those who take the time to photograph and explain their projects, it's very encouraging and fits in perfectly with the direction I wanted the site to go when I took it over. Thank You!

BTW, many new members site "stripper" as their favorite canoe when going through my little vetting process, so I guess you stripper people have really found a home. Excellent.:)

It would be nice if this season we get alot more trip reports with tons of pictures. I paid extra for the bandwidth so lets see some shots of folks out there on the trail.
Any trip is more than welcome, be it a day on the river, an evening paddle, a weekend get away or longer trip, please plan on sharing your adventures with us. Thanks Again.

It certainly is a great group of builders we have here and very diverse. I've learned a tremendous amount from reading build threads, asking questions, and getting advice on my own builds.

Thanks to all,

Alan

It certainly is a great group of builders we have here and very diverse. I've learned a tremendous amount from reading build threads, asking questions, and getting advice on my own builds.

I am continually amazed by the various builder skills presented on Canoe Tripping. Not just the boat builders, whose works just blows me away (it take me as long to outfit a boat and it does some of you to build one from scratch), but knives, axes, sheathes, map cases , packs – any and every sort of DIY.

Not just those varied skills and knowledge, but folk’s willingness to slow their roll and take the time to photograph, describe and share their expertise and process.

Alan – Do I have a book for you. A Portal to Paradise (Alden Hayes, University of Arizona Press, 1999).

http://www.amazon.com/Portal-Paradi...27132714&sr=1-1&keywords=A+Portal+to+Paradise

Bring that one along next time to occupy your long winter nights in the Chiricahuas.

Yes, this virtual stuff is virtually a virtuosic vaccination of varied........well, whatever, ran out of "V"'s. I have learned the entire process of canoe building on line, starting with my first one, where Martin Step from Greenval.com very patiently coached me through it. I had few woodworking skills, no tools, and a tiny room in my basement. My canoes are not pretty at the best of times, but that first one was just fugly. This site is awesome, lots of different build styles to examine and compare, very interesting stuff.

On a side note, Robin, this site has caused me to open my wallet to buy things more than any other site. You should be getting some kind of kickback for the amount of money that gets spent as a result!

I too, would like to thank, and commend all of you who have contributed. I'm one of those who "strip" but this being my first one is a great learning experience. I used to learn all of these tricks and tips while out in the bush. I'd come upon someone, we'd strike up a conversation and I would cull little tidbits for my own use. Now, I come here. Great stuff this interwebs.

Thanks Robin

Momentum

Hi all. I just signed up due in part to this thread. It's really great to see all the collaboration and innovation here. For a young forum there is some really great information that isn't available anywhere else. Great group of people, and with some members in Iowa I don't feel so lonely paddling here in Kansas City.

Muskrat,

Welcome...now let's see some more of that guideboat build.
I built a stripped 16 ft Grant pattern, back in '89, but it didn't suit my travels or strength.
I am still toying with a skin on frame guideboat...

I'll post a build thread for the guideboat this evening. It should give at least a good overview of the home built kevlar techniques. Don't rush on that SOF guideoboat, I'm in the process of drawing up a design for a guideboat style rowboat, but meant purely for solo use. I'm doing everything I can to cut hull surface area without compromising seaworthyness too much. It will not be the load carrier that a traditional guideboat is. It should fit in nicely with solo canoes and those methods of travel. I'm going to cold mold it, but it will be strippable too.

Muskrat,
I want/need a solo hull that can be carried (by me, a welterweight) up to 5 miles, without dying from heart failure or back spasms. I'm still in good shape, bit I'm no Conan the Barbarian!
The hull also needs to handle bigger water, Stillwater reservoir to be specific. Wind and waves there conspire to make paddling a solo boat unpleasant if you get stuck in the wrong weather.
A SOF guideboat for such use would be around 12 or 13 ft, and hopefully less than 20 lbs...

I'll anxiously await your posting this evening...

Well, in that case probably best to go with your skin on frame raider. I was thinking more along the lines of 15' with similar hull surface area of a solo canoe of the same length, so it would come out as light as you can strip a solo. No way I'll get it down to 20 lbs. I've never been pond hopping in the Adirondacks. Maybe someday.

Back