• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

vintage canvas gear

Reaction score
Look what I just found among my Dad's old gear... from the early 50's I believe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3PR7SA2lSIGF7M0ki5ivAA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	997.2 KB ID:	122756 Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_16fb.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	998.2 KB ID:	122757

Highly featured (sarcasm...) traditional portage pack. Zero adjustments. Look at the lower left strap (wearer's right side); there is a simple metal hook & D ring I presume for ease of donning the pack. No padded straps for the hard men of the old days!

Lying flat, it measures about 2' square.

I agree. Except for my multi day back pack, all my canoe packs and day packs, most of which are canvas, are stripped down. I took off the chest straps, hip belts, and tump lines. I usually leave them unbuckled even on my back pack. If its solid, you could put that bag back in service to haul your clean dry clothes from the house to the car for canoe trips. Coolest duffle bag at the put in.

Cheers,
Barry

I stumbled across a bag in one of our closets this morning with two Duluth canvas packs in it. I have no idea where they came from (maybe my wife knows) but they look brand new. Not anymore sophisticated than what's in Patrick's photos but look ready for my grandsons to use on future day trips.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I just retrieved the Trapper Nelson from my Dad's house in Seattle. It is the pack I started backpacking with in 1960.
The canvas wall tent is up in the backyard campsite with the tin wood stove over looking one million acres of BLM land and the Pine Nut Range of Nevada.

Last edited:
The old wall tent was made in Denver in 1981. I have patched a few mouse holes. The bottom of the front flaps is a little worn from moving back and forth across the ground. Otherwise it is like new.

Back